Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robbie Hegarty 8 posts 78 karma points
    Oct 15, 2019 @ 13:33
    Robbie Hegarty

Hi folks.

Can someone help me out getting started with Umbraco without telling me to read the docs?

I have a web server running IIS and I have installed VS Code on it as well. I've downloaded the latest Umbraco code and have it open in MS Code. I can run it with ctrl F5 and have completed the setup.

I have also created a new site in IIS and pointed it to the Umbraco folder; but I am unable to open the site through IIS. Is there a particular folder within the main Umbraco folder that I should be pointing to?

Thanks

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Oct 15, 2019 @ 13:39
    Steve Morgan

You point IIS at the folder above the Umbraco folder. The Umbraco folder is the backoffice the root is your website.

Oct 15, 2019 @ 13:45
    Robbie Hegarty

Thanks Steve

The physical path to my Umbraco folder is : C:\MySites\UmbracoCms.8.1.5

This is what IIS is pointing at. Is that not corect?

Robbie

• Lander Debeuf 23 posts 125 karma points
    Oct 15, 2019 @ 13:49
    Lander Debeuf

Typically you have something like this

/Site /Site/Umbraco

All the files for the site go in to the /Site root, and your IIS has to point to /Site

Umbraco is the backoffice that is contained inside the Site.

So your site \UmbracoCms.8.1.5 should contain a folder /Umbraco with the downloaded content.

Oct 15, 2019 @ 14:02
    Robbie Hegarty

I've attached a screenshot of my folder structure. I suspect I'm pointing to the correct folder so I have also attached a screenshot of the output I get when running through IIS.

Folder structure

enter image description here

Oct 15, 2019 @ 14:31
    Steve Morgan

Hi

Yes - folder looks correct but read that error. That's Umbraco throwing an exception saying it cannot connect to the sql server.

It still could be a permissions issues with IIS I guess but check your sql db credentials in the web.config.

Steve

• Lander Debeuf 23 posts 125 karma points
    Oct 15, 2019 @ 14:34
    Lander Debeuf

indeed, check the connectionstring in web.config for the umbraco database. maybe credentials are wrong, or database name is wrong?

Oct 15, 2019 @ 18:24
    Robbie Hegarty

Thanks folks

Starting to get somewhere. I was wondering why it was working through VS Code. I see it was connecting to a local database file:

connectionString="Data Source=|DataDirectory|\Umbraco.sdf;

I've changed the connection string to :

It seems to be finding the database but I get errors. Here's an example of one:

-> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid object name 'umbracoKeyValue'

For first run should I be pointing IIS to the Umbraco/Install folder?

Oct 15, 2019 @ 18:27
    Robbie Hegarty

The code snippet didn't show up, so here it is:

Oct 16, 2019 @ 10:48
    Robbie Hegarty

UPDATE

I downloaded the most up-to-date version of Umbraco (8.2.0) and pointed my IIS site the that folder. I also amended the config file to point to the database I created.

When I run the site through IIS it appears to redirect to install - which is what it probably should be doing. Here's the url:

"[ http://myumbraco.local/install/?redir=true&url=http%3a%2f%2fmyumbraco.local%2f ]"

The following screen loads and just stays there. The progress bar at the bottom continuously animates as if something was happening. I've left it for over an hour, but no change.

Any suggestions as to what is going on now?

enter image description here

Oct 18, 2019 @ 13:21
    Steve Morgan

Hi,

Seems you have missed a step someone in the installation and now have a bit of a mess.

Can you just start again - when the installer comes up ensure you that you customise the install and choose a "proper" MS SQL database. The SQL Server CE installs always just end up in pain.

I think what's happening here is you've never had the Umbraco SQL DB setup , you tried upgrading the upgrader saw that the version had changed and has tried to run upgrade scripts rather than first install.

Start fresh - choose the custom install and see how you get on.

Steve

Oct 18, 2019 @ 15:09
    Robbie Hegarty

Thanks Steve

I managed to get it going doing basically what you suggest. My only issue now in an IIS or DNS one. I installed Umbraco on its own site in IIS and have it running ok on the server. I just haven't got it going yet when I try to access it over the web. But that is beyond the scope of this forum.

Cheers again to all who helped.

Robbie

Oct 22, 2019 @ 13:16
    Steve Morgan

Hi,

If you're still stuck - feel free to ask - this is the friendly CMS. There are definitely IIS experts on here!

Steve

Oct 27, 2019 @ 14:51
    Robbie Hegarty

Thanks Steve

This is indeed the friendly CMS.

Robbie

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft