Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sven 5 posts 95 karma points
    Oct 16, 2019 @ 06:06
    Sven

Setting up multiple host names on one Azure instance with Version 8

I found some articles regarding "UseDomainPrefixes" to enable hosting multiple sites (with different content) on one single Umbraco deployment (single instance with multiple host name bindings). Unfortunately, this setting has been removed from the source code on January, 30'th: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/commit/9571f48bd3e9f4d791588f82768c0fb03331853e#diff-c27cebdc89f1b9766b92fe294eb4264c Browsing through the code, I saw some references to "HostingEnvironment.SiteName", which does not return the hostname (as needed to implement independence between different domain names), but the name of the hosting site - which is the same for all bindings of different domain names. Is there a way to use different domain names in a single "Site" to host different web sites?

My setup:

• one Azure Web Site with two domain names ("site-a.something" and "site-b.something")
    • two "root"-nodes in Umbraco configured with the corresponding hostnames

Result:

• the first node that I hit wins
    • restarting the site and first opening site-a, then site-b gives me the content of site-a for both
    • restarting the site and first opening site-b, then site-a gives me the content of site-b for both

Expected result:

• requests with hostname site-a in the http-request-headers should always get content from the content node site-a
    • requests with hostname site-b in the http-request-headers should always get content from the content node site-b

This functionality seems to be fundamentally changed from V7 to V8 (or at least one way to accomplish it has been removed).

Is there any documentation about this?

• Rob Shaw 37 posts 170 karma points c-trib
    Apr 22, 2020 @ 09:19
    Rob Shaw

Hi Sven,

Did you ever get this issue sorted? I am currently in a similar situation!

Thanks, Rob

• Sven 5 posts 95 karma points
    Apr 22, 2020 @ 15:49
    Sven

Hi Rob,

yes, I was able to solve this issue in a way that matches our needs. I'm using the following entries in the web.config (appSettings):

<add key  ="Umbraco.Core.LocalTempStorage" 
         value="EnvironmentTemp" />
    <add key  ="Umbraco.Examine.LuceneDirectoryFactory"
         value="Examine.LuceneEngine.Directories.SyncTempEnvDirectoryFactory, Examine" />

Another point was using the AzureBlobFileSystem. We had some issues with referencing images because they were only physically available in the site where we uploaded them, but we saw them in all sites using the same database. With the AzureBlobFileSystem package, we were able to access all images from all sites.

Hope that helps - I did not write all down what I did in those days but it's running smoothly now.

Sven

• spencer audrey 3 posts 73 karma points
    Apr 22, 2020 @ 18:33
    spencer audrey

I'm looking to get some feedback on hosting domain controllers only in the cloud and not having a DC on premise. This is something we've spoken about in chat a couple of times so I thought it would be nice to have a placeholder here for this conversation.

So, what are you thoughts on only having a DC in Azure connected via VPN? I've done this for DC replication but not for the only DC yet. Replication works great BTW. We are looking to implement a solution soon for a client with multiple sites that's wanting to get rid of all servers. There are about 40 computers total across the sites and we have great fiber connections to each one. We are only wanting the DC for authentication on desktops and to push GPO. No folder redirection, etc. My thoughts are to VPN each site to Azure and stick the DC there. I can then either replicate it to another VM at another Azure location or back to a box at one of the client's sites. Another option is to run something like Solarwinds MSP backup that offers recovery in Azure for backups.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft