Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Markus Johansson 1911 posts 5757 karma points MVP c-trib
    Oct 21, 2019 @ 15:37
    Markus Johansson

How are people using User and User Groups?

Hi!

I'm working with some research for the next version of my e-mail package for Newsletter Studio and was hopping for some feedback / input.

There has been some request to make it possible to restrict access to e-mails to certain Users or User Groups, and even to separate different groups totally.

Example, let's say that you have a Umbraco-implementation with 4 different root nodes / sites for 4 different markets. The requirement might be that each market has their own mailing list and their own e-mails. So they don't see stuff created by the other markets.

So far so good. But how are people generally setting up these permissions? If I was to implement this I would probably use one User Group per market and put each User in the correct User Group.

This would have been quite straight forward to support in a package as well, but then comes another possible scenario:

Each market also have a group of "Super Editors" with it's own User Group, so while most editors in the UK would be in the User Group "Editors UK" some might be in both "Editors UK" and "Super Editors UK" in this scenario.... when a User with multiple groups creates a newsletter or a mailing list - how would I know which group to connect this email to?

There might also be a "Cross Country Super User" that can see everything, same problem here - what group could I connect a newsletter or mailing list to when a "Cross Country Super User" creates an e-mail?

I realize that this is getting quite long and I'm wondering if anyone have faced a similar problem or have seen any packages that support these scenarios in a nice way? I've looked at "Umbraco Forms" but it feels like the way they've implemented this (on a User-level) has some drawbacks when the site has many editors.

I would love to hear any thoughts on this and all feedback, examples and inspiration is most welcome.

Thanks guys!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft