Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• William Even 23 posts 153 karma points
    Oct 24, 2019 @ 18:57
    William Even

Installation issue with Umbraco 8.2

Hello all.

I'm hoping someone can help with this.

I am attempting to install Umbraco V.8.2. The installation is on a new VM server, running Windows Server 2016 Standard, that was created for this purpose.

The database is to exist on a separate server running SQL Server 2017. I have created the empty database and created a new login and user for this database. The user is a Windows user (in our Active Directory) and has been given datareader, datawriter, owner and public roles for the database.

I have unzipped Umbraco on the new server and opened it in Visual Studio. I built the solution, then ran the app in non-debug mode in VS.

The install proceeds okay, until I get to the database install section. I provide the appropriate credentials for the new user, the db server name and the db name, but continually receive a 'Could not connect to database' error. When I check the logs in SQL Server, I see the following:

Login failed for user *. Reason: Could not find a login matching the name provided. Error: 18456, Severity: 14. State: 5.

No matter what I try, it is the same result. I have added the domain name in front of the user, added the domain name to the server name, etc.

No luck. I'm hoping someone can assist me with this. I need to get this project started.

Update: I checked the error message and it is telling me that the user name is not valid. This can't be, because I was able to login to SQL Server with that username and password. Weird.

Thanks in advance. Bill Even / CTG, Inc.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Oct 24, 2019 @ 20:45
    Amir Khan

Is it possible that its an issue with windows authentication vs sql authentication with SQL server? When I run into these hiccups I try to connect via SQL Server Management Studio instead of directly to the server. You can set the authentication type, see what permissions you have, etc.

Apologies if that's what you were saying by "login to SQL Server with that username and password".

-Amir

Oct 28, 2019 @ 14:01
    William Even

Hi Amir,

That is what I meant. I can login using SSMS with the same credentials I am trying to use during the installation.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

• Chris Evans 137 posts 353 karma points c-trib
    Oct 25, 2019 @ 01:47
    Chris Evans

You should also check if Windows Firewall or some other network related issue is blocking the connection from the web server to the database server. Your connection via Management Studio may not be behind the same restrictions.

Nov 05, 2019 @ 15:01
    William Even

There was an issue with firewall blockage, but I have now been given a new subnet that hosts a dedicated SQL Server and development machine.

I'm still having issues, but I will flag this as solved and create a new discussion.

Thanks, Bill Even

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft