Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeffrey Veer 41 posts 308 karma points
    Oct 29, 2019 @ 12:38
    Jeffrey Veer

Multiple default languages Umbraco 8

Hi, I'm currently working on a new website for a client which will be a multi-country multi-language website.

Our current website structure will be similar to:

• United Kingdom
      • English
    • Netherlands
      • Dutch
      • English
    • Belgium
      • Dutch
      • French
    • ... plus some other countries with their own languages.

Each country has their own products and require some properties to be shared across all languages, e.g. the pricing. However the description and some other properties should be different for each language in their country.

For the description this can be achieved by setting the 'Allow varying by culture' to true, but if I set this property to false for the pricing I need to configure the pricing on the default language (currently English). As you can see in the list above, this will cause a problem with the Belgian website as they don't have support for the English website.

Any suggestions on a way to implement this will be appreciated.

Edit: created a feature request for this on github https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/issues/7037

• bronzewind 42 posts 125 karma points
    Nov 01, 2019 @ 13:25
    bronzewind

Hi Jeffrey,

(On a clean installation)

1. Create a doc type for each country website with the common properties for all the countries.
    2. Create a doc type er language where you inherit the properties from the doc type created in 1 and you will specify the rest like the pricing and currency depending on the language.

Let me know if you have further issues.

• Jeffrey Veer 41 posts 308 karma points
    Nov 01, 2019 @ 13:35
    Jeffrey Veer

Hi bronzewind,

Thanks for your reply!

However, this isn't solving the issue unfortunately. When I add a composition on my document, the country-specific (not language) properties are still only editable on the default language variant.

I think you misunderstood the question regarding the properties, the properties themselves are shared across all countries, but this issue is regarding the values, of those properties, which are country-wide.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft