Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Patrick van Kemenade 101 posts 339 karma points
    Nov 12, 2019 @ 11:07
    Patrick van Kemenade

Default URL structure of page includes menu hierarchie instead of <url>/<page-title>

Dear All,

I have the following issue, I have a menu structure like this.

Home
    |->Articles about yyy
    | |->Article 1
    | |-> Sub Article zzz
    | |->Article 2
    |->Products about xxx
    | |->Product 1

At default the link of the homepage is "/" -> perfect

The category page is "/Articles-about-yyy" -> also perfect

But then the sub item becomes default "[ur]>/Articles-about-yyy/Article-1"

And the sub sub becomes default "[url]/Articles-about-yyy/Article-1/Sub-Article-zzz"

Especially when having longer page/title namkes this becomes a bad practice, and is also inconcienient when trying to conver WP sites to Umbraco.

I would like this behavior to change to simply have the url's:

[url]/Article-1
    [url]/Sub-Article-zzz

And thus exclude the part in the url that it's a sub item under another item (you'll see this in the breadcrumb anyway).

The workarounds I have so far are: - Create all content items in the root and then lateron Move then to the proper location, this preserves the correct url. - Add fields umbracoUrlName or umbracoUrlAlias to the document type, these will override the default behavior, but when making them empty aftwerwards you'll get back the wrong url again

I know I can create a custom control for every content type and the change the url structure per controller to match what I need.

But I can't image that there isn't a simpler way, since the current behaviour is kind of bad seo practice and most major CMS system support

I've looked into umbracoSettings.config but doesn't seem to be an option here.

Any ideas how to get this done easy and correct ?

• Magnus Eriksson 122 posts 362 karma points
    Nov 12, 2019 @ 13:42
    Nov 12, 2019 @ 13:57
    Patrick van Kemenade

Not sure don't think that thread proposes the solution.

Anyway can't imagine it's this hard to get Umbraco functioning like most major CMS systems work.

I think there has to be some setting to configure this behavior, can't imagine anybody having a major website using the current default setting which will create really long and cumbersome url's.

Can't name any CMS that's unable to do this, even WordPress can create https:/[ur][page-title] out of the box (permalink setting).

So I think there must be a better way to do this, or at least I hope.

Thanks for responding and pointing out that thread, maybe it has to be done like that.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Nov 12, 2019 @ 14:14
    Nov 20, 2019 @ 09:36
    Patrick van Kemenade

Seems Umbraco doesn't have a solution out of the box for this, maybe typical usage for Umbraco isn't having a big website (over 400 pages) with a menu structure and a certain routing.

What I'm thinking on implementing is a data item called MenuItem with having:

Title
    PagePicker
    Menu Hierarchie info

These items can be nesting creating the desired menu structure with sub items, and my navigation snippet is reading and displaying this tree as a menu.

And all pages sorted without any menu hierarchie so like this:
    Home->Page 1
    ->Page 2
    …….
    -> Page 400

So url structure of each page will be http://{baseurl}/{title}

Two not so nice things about this approach, for every new page I have to create a page and menu item.

Looking up and editing an existing page is a bit cumbersome since I have a list of 400 pages each on the same hierarchie level under Home.

Are there any people who implemented this way, any thoughts on other approaches. And is Umbraco a good solution for a multidomain/multilingual site with many pages or will I eventually also run in performance issues and things ?

• Magnus Eriksson 122 posts 362 karma points
    Nov 20, 2019 @ 12:01
    Magnus Eriksson

Not sure I follow your approach completely, but with nodes that have a lot of child nodes you can activate "List view" on the parent document type - that way it will be easier for the editors in Umbraco backoffice to manage a lot of nodes on the same level.

Regards, Magnus

Feb 04, 2020 @ 10:11
    Patrick van Kemenade

I've used Magnus solution to create a List view, so all content pages are 1 level below the homepage.

Furthermore I've created a menuitem doctype. And created a branch in the root not under the homepage with all menu items (nested in tree). This way I have all pages default in http:

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft