Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Davide Balosetti 35 posts 216 karma points
    Nov 12, 2019 @ 12:57
    Davide Balosetti

Boot failed: Umbraco cannot run.

Dear all, i've just installed umbraco 8.3 on my local machine without any problems. If i try to start it from Visual studio it works fine but, after configure it on my local IIS if i try to navigate it i get:

Boot failed: Umbraco cannot run. See Umbraco's log file for more details.

-> Umbraco.Core.Exceptions.BootFailedException: A connection string is configured but Umbraco could not connect to the database.
      in Umbraco.Core.RuntimeState.DetermineRuntimeLevel(IUmbracoDatabaseFactory databaseFactory, ILogger logger) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\RuntimeState.cs:riga 194
      in Umbraco.Core.Runtime.CoreRuntime.DetermineRuntimeLevel(IUmbracoDatabaseFactory databaseFactory, IProfilingLogger profilingLogger) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\CoreRuntime.cs:riga 259
      in Umbraco.Core.Runtime.CoreRuntime.Boot(IRegister register, DisposableTimer timer) in D:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\CoreRuntime.cs:riga 149

Thanks in advace Davide

• Kevin Jump 2310 posts 14695 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Nov 12, 2019 @ 13:29
    Kevin Jump

Hi Davide,

Its probably a SQL Permissions issue, if you run your site via Visual Studio and IISExpress it runs under your windows account, so if you connect to the Database with integrated permissions it is using your windows account.

when you run via IIS it will probably be running under the "Network Service" account, you should either give that account access to teh SQL server or look at using a SQL username/password to connect.

if you are not using SQL but SQL Express check file permissions, again see if "Network Service" has write access to the app_data folder.

• Rohith Racherla 9 posts 79 karma points
    Feb 16, 2022 @ 14:01
    Rohith Racherla

I'm not that familiar with these things, could you please point me in the right way on what and where should I change these permissions.

I can only run it via Visual Studio like you mentioned, but want to run it via IIS and not sure how to get past the issue.

In the past I was able to run the sites from IIS with connection string to remote SQLExpress2017.

• Davide Balosetti 35 posts 216 karma points
    Nov 12, 2019 @ 14:51
    Davide Balosetti

Hi Kevin, ok perfect now it works fine was a permission issue.

Thanks a lot for you help!

Davide

• Tariq Hameed 3 posts 73 karma points
    Oct 21, 2020 @ 23:38
    Tariq Hameed

Hello Davide, i have same issue as you had. can you please guide me how did you solve that?

thanks in advance.

• Nurhak Kaya 53 posts 147 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Oct 20, 2021 @ 17:31
    Nurhak Kaya

I have seen a similar problem with Umbarco v9.0.1 after deploying the code to an Azure App Service and the problem was due to a connection string error.

PS: I wrote a blog about the problem and my solution, hope this helps someone.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft