Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• J 445 posts 862 karma points
    Nov 13, 2019 @ 10:01
    J

Create multi country/language site

I need to create a multi site based on different countries. A site for each country. After researching around i believe i need to do the following under ONE umbraco installation:

Create a new site under Content for each country. Create a new template and set the lang on each template for the country in question. For each site set the appropriate culture/hostname

Does this sound correct? If yes i would like friendly URLs for each country so if the URL is similar to

https://unitedkingdom.co.uk/products/item/1/nameOfProduct https://france.co.fr/products/item/1/nomDuProduit

1. How could i set UrlRewriting.config up to take care of each country?
    2. The product name would come from my database table which i would program using forms. I assume i would need to record each product name in the appropriate language?

Appreciate any guidance or articles that anyone could point me to.

• Patrick van Kemenade 101 posts 339 karma points
    Nov 13, 2019 @ 10:55
    Patrick van Kemenade

I think I've setup something similar as what you want.

I've (just) created site https://onlinegroeicoach.nl/ if you open it and click on the English flag you get the same page on domain https://onlinegrowthcoach.com/ this also works for every subpage.

To get this setup first in Settings, create all the languages you need.

Then in Content create a Content item for instance Home. Right click on it and select Manage Cultures and Hostnames (kind of strange place to hide this option I think, but anyway).

Here put in domains / languages.

From now onwards you can edit every content item you create in multiple languages (let's assume you have 2).

In IIS you have 2 domains setup, each pointing to the same physical www location. If you run 1 website it's probably fine. When you run both websites at the same time from your browser you'll get an error indicating something is locked.

This one was a bit tricky, found I had two add the following to appSettings (using Umbraco 8.1, added it just before the tag).

<add key="Umbraco.Examine.LuceneDirectoryFactory" value="Examine.LuceneEngine.Directories.SyncTempEnvDirectoryFactory, Examine" />

Not exactly sure what it does exactly, tried several things when encountering this error found this one somewhere on a forum and it worked.

I guess you know how the IIS setup works, so with this I think your set.

Suppose you have a field called HeadLine, when you create 1 template calling @Model.HeadLine, and in the Content you created the headline in two languages it will work out-of-the box.

In my case I also wanted a language switcher, so on the Dutch page I needed a reference to what is the corresponding English url, this is what did the trick for me: @Model.Url("nl", UrlMode.Absolute) @Model.Url("en-us", UrlMode.Absolute)

So you only need 1 template and it can serve multiple languages/sites. So no need to create separate templates/doctypes for each language. Only in the Content editing you typically edit in split view with all fields in 1 language on the left and the other language to the right.

Other code to use inside a template to get alle the languages available for this page and perhaps do something additional with it could be:

var currentLang = $"{CultureInfo.CurrentCulture.Name} - {CultureInfo.CurrentCulture.NativeName}"; // Detect current language
    var langs = Umbraco.ContentAtRoot(); // Show all available laguages
        foreach(var lang in langs){
            <b>
                @lang.Name
            </b>

For me the really good way Umbraco handles multisite/multilanguage was the number 1 reason to switch to Umbraco recently.

Hope this helps, good luck !

• Mikael Axel Kleinwort 140 posts 484 karma points c-trib
    Nov 13, 2019 @ 12:31
    Mikael Axel Kleinwort

Patrick,

I wonder why you have set up 2 different sites in IIS. Until now, for a multi-lingual site, I just set up one IIS site with several domain names in the site's bindings, but this was prior to me working with Umbraco. Is there a benefit with the 2-site approach I am not aware of? Just curious...

Regards, Mikael

• Patrick van Kemenade 101 posts 339 karma points
    Nov 13, 2019 @ 13:32
    Patrick van Kemenade

Thanks for asking.

Think your right, reason I did it was because I thought I needed a separate SSL account (Let's Encrypt) for each top level domain.

But I think if you create 1 multidomain SSL certificate this should also work.

• Mikael Axel Kleinwort 140 posts 484 karma points c-trib
    Nov 13, 2019 @ 23:24
    Mikael Axel Kleinwort

Patrick,

in IIS, you can assign different ssl certificates to each binding (protocol / hostname / IP combination), this way, you can use several regular ssl certificates for one IIS site. Of course, a wildcard or multi-domain certificate would work just as well.

Regards, Mikael

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft