Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sam 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jul 11, 2013 @ 12:36
    Sam

Migrating individual websites to different versions

Hi

Apologies if this is a ridiculous question (and possibly in the wrong place) but I'm completely new to Umbraco and I now have a number of sites all sitting on one server to look after. I would like to run a test upgrade on one site (from v4.5.0 to v6.0.6) but if I do this will it affect the other sites? Is it a server-wide upgrade or can I do it one by one?

Thanks in advance for your help

Sam

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 11, 2013 @ 13:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sam

No need to applogize - and don't worry about the placement of the post. These hierachies are going to be removed in a later version of our, which is currently in development. In the future our will be based on tagging instead, which will make much more sense and it will be easier to create a new post than it is today.

In regards to doing a test-upgrade I would suggest that you copy the files to a local environment and make a database backup and use the backup to do your upgrade testing instead. But if you do an upgrade experiment on your live-server it should not affect any of the other sites - but I still think it's a better practice to isolate the site that you want to upgrade.

In order to get some information about how to upgrade you should also check it these pages in the documentation http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/

/Jan

• Sam 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jul 12, 2013 @ 15:09
    Sam

Hi Jan

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! Unfortunately my test site is on the same server as my live site so I'm going to try to find somewhere else I can set up and run my test upgrade :)  Thank you also for the link to the documentation, something to read over the weekend I think!

Sam 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft