Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at


  • Craig100 1062 posts 2325 karma points c-trib
    Feb 13, 2016 @ 15:52
    Craig100
    0

    Blank site after manual upgrade to V7.4

    Having overcome a database issue during manual upgrade of a 7.1.2 site to 7.4 (https://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/migrating-from-v5-to-v4-and-beyond/75050-database-upgrade-fail-on-712-to-74-manual-upgrade) the front end site is now totally blank. The back end looks fine. All content shows, however Previews are blank as well.

    I have cleared out App_Data/Temp/ClientDependency files and Examine indexes. Fixed XML errors noted in the Developer section "XML Data Integrity Report" and rebuilt all Examine indices.

    The only funny I noticed was when opening the Developer section there's a red warning bar saying: "Request error: The URL returned a 404 (not found): /App_Plugins/ModelsBuilder/modelsbuilder.htm" Dropped the directory in from the Umbraco Zip download and cleared that.

    However, the front of the site and the previews are totally blank and no errors in Chrome dev tools.

    Any advice appreciated

    Craig

  • Asbjørn 75 posts 182 karma points c-trib
    Feb 13, 2016 @ 16:30
    Asbjørn
    0

    This may be basic, but have you tried Republish Entire Site?

  • Craig100 1062 posts 2325 karma points c-trib
    Feb 13, 2016 @ 16:38
    Craig100
    0

    Didn't I mention that? Oh I didn't. Yes, published full site several times at various stages. And cleared all site cookies and did a hard refresh with cache clear :( So wondering what else it could be. I just followed the manual upgrade instructions here: https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/setup/upgrading/general But that didn't tell me about the modelsbuilder folder that was needed. So I'm wondering if there are other things I've inadvertently missed.

  • Asbjørn 75 posts 182 karma points c-trib
    Feb 13, 2016 @ 17:10
    Asbjørn
    0

    Yes, I thought you must have done.

    It sounds like it can't find the templates to render with. Are you using WebForms or MVC?

  • Craig100 1062 posts 2325 karma points c-trib
    Feb 13, 2016 @ 17:35
    Craig100
    0

    MVC

  • Asbjørn 75 posts 182 karma points c-trib
    Feb 13, 2016 @ 17:51
    Asbjørn
    0

    I'm just guessing here, but can you see and edit the templates in the Settings section?

  • Craig100 1062 posts 2325 karma points c-trib
    Feb 13, 2016 @ 18:39
    Craig100
    100

    Just worked out what it was. Somehow, all the templates got replicated with empty versions. So in views I had a home.cshtml and a home1.cshtml. After deleting the empties, I'm now having to assign each page it's template. This could be a disaster as there's 477 pages!

  • Craig100 1062 posts 2325 karma points c-trib
    Feb 13, 2016 @ 18:57
    Craig100
    0

    Turns out it is a disaster. Even after setting all the docTypes default templates, each page refuses to show it in the Properties tab unless you select it from the dropdown and save it. That's even after a full site republish (which is quick) and a home page + children republish (which takes 30 mins or more).

    Maybe this should be another thread, but....

    Another thing I've found is the members area is shot at. If I open a member type I get six of these errors stacked on top of eachother :-

    Request error: The URL returned a 404 (not found): 
    /umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoApi/DataType/GetById
    

    I think a manual upgrade is getting to be untenable. I've already tried a new install and using the CMSImport tool but that has it's own major problems too. Difficult :(

  • Asbjørn 75 posts 182 karma points c-trib
    Feb 13, 2016 @ 18:58
    Asbjørn
    0

    That was certainly something I wouldn't have guessed. Glad you got it solved, though.

    Asbjørn

  • Craig100 1062 posts 2325 karma points c-trib
    Feb 13, 2016 @ 19:06
    Craig100
    0

    Well yes, worked out what it was, but am having to abandon all the work done so far today :(

    Thanks :)

  • Asbjørn 75 posts 182 karma points c-trib
    Feb 13, 2016 @ 19:33
    Asbjørn
    0

    I am sorry to hear that. You seem to have hit a really bad upgrade. Did you make a copy of the site + database before the upgrade? I'd love to take a look - and I'm sure HQ would as well. Because that definitely should happen. I have quite smooth upgrades (apart from that database problem).

  • Craig100 1062 posts 2325 karma points c-trib
    Feb 14, 2016 @ 02:58
    Craig100
    0

    Yes, I have several backups. The site is quite old and unfortunately it's a huge personal and private biography. It can only be viewed online with a login, so I can't really send the site off for investigation. It was originally a 4.7.2 webforms site which was upgraded manually to 7.1.2 and converted to MVC 2 years ago. So there's a bit of baggage with it. Memberships not working etc. I tried an upgrade to 7.3.6 a few weeks ago but that didn't work. Have spent three weeks trying to import it's content and media in to a fresh install of 7.3.7 (now 7.4). It's so close but no banana, so thought I'd try an upgrade to 7.4. That's come a cropper on template assignment and the membership system remains shot at, so I give up. Back to spending 10 hours on imports at a time and just hope I can get the media to import in a sensible fashion without too much duplication.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft