Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at


  • trfletch 595 posts 571 karma points
    Feb 26, 2010 @ 16:28
    trfletch
    0

    Google map datatype not rendering correctly in IE 6 and 7

    Hi, I have installed Darren's Googlemap datatype in my Umbraco V4.0.2.1 website and I thought all was working fine until I went into the Umbraco backend in IE 6 or IE 7 where I found the datatype does not render correctly. It seems fine in IE8 and Google Chrome. Has anyone else got this issue or does anyone know how to fix it?

  • Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3258 karma points MVP c-trib
    Mar 01, 2010 @ 10:52
    Darren Ferguson
    0

    I'm guessing the issue is specific to your install/enivronment. The datatype is working with IE6 and IE7.

    If you'd like to provide more details including your OS and Service pack level, exact browser versions, Umbraco Version etc then I may be able to try and replicate.

    Alternatively you could just give me temporary access to your Umbraco backend.

  • trfletch 595 posts 571 karma points
    Mar 11, 2010 @ 15:06
    trfletch
    0

    Hi Darren,

    Thanks for your response, I am using WIndows 7 and IE8 but this problem shows up when I enter compatibility mode in IE, it was first noticed by a user that is using Windows XP Service pack 3 with IE 7, I have also checked on another PC running IE6 and still get the same issue.

  • Fredrik Esseen 590 posts 806 karma points
    Mar 11, 2010 @ 16:12
    Fredrik Esseen
    0

    Could it be that you dont pass along a size?

    fm.maps[fm.maps.length] = new GMap2(document.getElementById(mapId),{size:new GSize(400,300)});
    And the div surrounding the map must have the same size.

  • trfletch 595 posts 571 karma points
    Mar 11, 2010 @ 17:00
    trfletch
    0

    Hi Froad,

    Thanks for the response, where do I find the code you wrote above so I can check mine to make sure it has got a size? This is a problem in the backend of Umbraco in case you didn't realise, not what people see on the website.

  • Fredrik Esseen 590 posts 806 karma points
    Mar 11, 2010 @ 17:09
    Fredrik Esseen
    0

    Aha, backend.. missed that :)

    Dont remember where I found that code but its the same as described at http://www.darren-ferguson.com/2009/3/14/quick-tip-displaying-maps-on-your-umbraco-website.aspx except the Gsize-thing.

     

  • trfletch 595 posts 571 karma points
    Mar 11, 2010 @ 17:28
    trfletch
    0

    I have found the piece of code you was talking about (I knew I had seen it before!) but as I suspected it relates to how it displays in the front end which is fine.

  • trfletch 595 posts 571 karma points
    Mar 22, 2010 @ 16:47
    trfletch
    0

    Hi All,

    I have done some further testing with this and it appears the issue is only with IE 7, I have even created a brand new umbraco site using the Umbraco 4.0.3 files that I downloaded from the website and it still has problems. I works fine in IE 6, IE 8 and Google Chrome but when in IE 8 if you press the compatibility button then the Googlemap datatype does not render correctly within Umbraco backend. I have also tried viewing using IE 7 (as opposed to the IE 8 compatibility mode) and it does not disply correct, I have even had it crash IE a few times. I have tried these tests on various different PC's with various operating systems such as Windows 7, XP, Server 2003 and Server 2008. Is no-one else experiencing this issue? Is there another Googlemap, or any other type of map datatype that anyone can recommend instead?

  • Jasper 1 post 23 karma points
    May 28, 2010 @ 16:18
    Jasper
    2

    Same problem here. It seems to be a problem with the stylesheet that is used when rendering the googlemap datatype control in the backoffice.

    Locate place.css in the folder umbraco\plugins\FergusonMoriyama\place.

    Change the width in the first section to a fixed width:

    .fmpContainer               
    {
        width: 465px;
    }

    That seems to do the trick.... IE7 does not support the 100% width for some reason... You may need to experiment to get an acceptible width...

  • trfletch 595 posts 571 karma points
    May 28, 2010 @ 16:23
    trfletch
    0

    Thanks for the reply Jasper, I have got round the issue by upgrading the Umbraco users to IE 8 which is ok for now but I will add this post to my favourites because I may need to refer to it in future on other sites where upgrading the users browsers may not be a viable option.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft