Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

  • Kyle Skrinak 272 posts 327 karma points
    Mar 04, 2011 @ 12:44
    Kyle Skrinak


    Using 4.6.1;

    I'm not entirely clear on how to proceed:


    1. In the Developer tab, I create a new node type under "uDbCompare"
    2. I enter the connection information in the "settings" tab per database (local, remote)
    3. I enter the base URL (the same) for both
    Now what? I see an inactive button "Account Details Need Caching" clicking on it does nothing. However I do not get any connection errors after creating each node. How do I perform the sync?
    Well after changing the connection string to placing the credentials into cleartext (just for checking) I was able to log in on one node. (The local one still shows "Account Details Need Caching") If I click "compare" on the remote DB, I get this .NET error:

    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

    Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

    Source Error: 

    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

    Stack Trace: 

    [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Our.Umbraco.uDbCompare.index.PopulateGridView(GridView gridView, DbCompareItem compareItem) +1073
       Our.Umbraco.uDbCompare.index.PopulateGridView(DbCompareItem compareItem) +120
       Our.Umbraco.uDbCompare.index.PopulateAllGrids() +464
       Our.Umbraco.uDbCompare.index.CompareButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +121
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +118
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +112
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5563


  • Patrick McAndrew 48 posts 163 karma points
    Mar 04, 2011 @ 13:39
    Patrick McAndrew

    Hi Kyle,

    I should probably make the account acaching details a bit clearer.

    Under your server (use remote, as local is automatically assumed to be the Umbraco instance you're running uDBCompare one).

    Go to Settings tab:

    Make sure Connection string is setup using the format given (replace only the server & database names:

    server=server\instance;database=umbraco;user id={0};password={1}

    Click save if you modified the above.

    Now, section slightly below, put in your username & password, then click cache.

    After than, you should be able to use the compare & in use tabs.

    Let me know if you still have problems - I haven't tested with 4.6, so perhaps there are issues there....

  • Kyle Skrinak 272 posts 327 karma points
    Mar 04, 2011 @ 15:47
    Kyle Skrinak


    I better understand the context now. Perhaps saying that "We assume your current connection string is the one uDbCompare works against) would help with context?

    Firstly I verified the connection string, which works fine using the "DB Connection String Tester" utility.

    Next, I set up only a node to connect with the db NOT currently connected (i.e., remote) I added the string, account and password

    (Note: if, while setting this up, there's an error in the string, I have to delete and recreate the db node, since it will continue to try to connect with bad connection data and error immediately)

    After clicking "Compare" (showing as it should) I get the same error as above.

  • Patrick McAndrew 48 posts 163 karma points
    Mar 04, 2011 @ 16:46
    Patrick McAndrew

    Hi Kyle,

    Are you using the 0.3 version? (it should say in the zip file).  Are you connecting to a sql server? If instead of going to the compare tab, you go to the in use tab, are the dropdown's being populated and are you able to do a search on a template or doc type? 


  • Kyle Skrinak 272 posts 327 karma points
    Mar 04, 2011 @ 19:51
    Kyle Skrinak

    Using uDbCompare v0.3

    SQL 05/08 server (as the host tells me)

    The In Use tabs all dropdowns are populated, all searches work as expected.

    Wow, that functionality in "In Use" is interesting! It's not why I'm here, but cool stuff!

    Compare and >BAM< error screen


  • Patrick McAndrew 48 posts 163 karma points
    Mar 05, 2011 @ 11:51
    Patrick McAndrew

    Hi Kyle,

    I've uploaded a new release 0.4, which will hopefully resolve that issue for you (probably best to uninstall package & install new one).  Let me know how it goes for you.



  • Kyle Skrinak 272 posts 327 karma points
    Mar 07, 2011 @ 12:30
    Kyle Skrinak

    that did the trick! Now to figure how to use this. Much thanks!

    There is one caveat for others to note: also remove any udbcompare nodes as well. The 0.3 created nodes failed under 0.4; simply fixed by creating new ones.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: