Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Patrick Scott 70 posts 110 karma points c-trib
    Sep 30, 2014 @ 15:42
    Patrick Scott

Blog post select author

Before I create this as a feature request, I thought I would get some opinions here first. 

The author field on a blog post is currently a textstring. Wouldn't this be better as a dropdown of the authors created in the Authors node?

This could be done with a nuPicker XmlDropDownPicker. I am not an xPath expert, so I don't know if you can specify a relative node but I have used //ArticulateAuthor when testing this idea. If there was more than one Articulate blog in an installation this would return authors for all of them. 

The code would also have to be changed in PostModel.cs as the nuPicker returns its own object.

Any thoughts on this or any ideas of a better way?

• Chris 8 posts 77 karma points
    Sep 30, 2014 @ 22:55
    Chris

I'm not sure its a better way but how about a hybrid approach, that is a text box with an autocomplete with the autocomplete listing authors from the Authors node.

This would give editors a better chance of getting match to an defined author while allowing them to specify an author which doesn't have a profile defined.

At the end of the day I would like to see a stronger connection between blog posts and authors.

• Shannon Deminick 1525 posts 5271 karma points MVP 2x
    Oct 01, 2014 @ 00:44
    Shannon Deminick

Authors are wired up by name. The reason for this currently is because an author can be a real Umbraco user or just an author profile. By all means though, if you wish to help creaet an author picker that'd be fantastic! As it stands now though, i don't currently have time to do this. If you want to log a feature request on GitHub that will be a good start so it doesn't get forgotten.

• Patrick Scott 70 posts 110 karma points c-trib
    Oct 01, 2014 @ 13:00
    Patrick Scott

In that case, then I think Chris's idea of a autocomplete picker is best, I will create a feature request for this.

So it should list out author nodes and/or users (in a specified group?) and would also allow a name to be saved which is not in either list. The data should be stored as text as it is now.

I haven't created a custom datatype before and I also have some urgent work coming up, but if I have time I will give this a go.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft