Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Jan 09, 2015 @ 18:54
    Craig100

Removing Style Tab Safely

Just playing with Articulate as I need a blog on a new site. Still not sure if it's appropriate as I think the client will want local comments, but giving it a go.

I don't want to use the themes system as that appears to mean I have to duplicate and hard code the menu and footers, etc.

As I need the blog integrated into the normal site master page, I'm starting off with building a normal template for the "Blog" datatype. I was just wondering if, once done, can I then safely get rid of the "Style" tab in the Articulate doctype or will it all blow up in my face?

If I'm going about this totally the wrong way, please let me know ;)

Cheers,

Craig

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jan 09, 2015 @ 21:27
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Craig, 

Perhaps, it´s not the right place to say this but I will try. Maybe you should have a look at one of the other blog packages called uBlogsy http://our.umbraco.org/projects/starter-kits/ublogsy, this you should be able to style it so it match your website design, and there is also a comment package uCommentsy called http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/ucommentsy to make it possible for the users to add comments to your blogposts,

If you are using Umbraco 7 runnig MVC, then you need to use the version 4.1 of the uBlogsy, this is not the default download but you can find it further down the page.

Perhaps uBlogsy package suits your clients / projects needs, and then you probably can use the Articulate another time.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Jan 09, 2015 @ 21:57
    Craig100

You mean you "would" try or "wouldn't" try?

I looked at both but from what I read thought uBlogsy wasn't being kept up to date due to other commitments by the package author so thought I'd give Shanon's a go. However, I'll take your advice and uninstall Articulate and give uBlogsy a try.

Thanks,

Craig

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jan 09, 2015 @ 22:10
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Craig,

It was just because I recommend another package in a space for the Articulate, and I don´t know if it was okay / best practice to do this. :-)

/Dennis

• Nathan Skidmore 63 posts 251 karma points c-trib
    Jan 19, 2015 @ 17:44
    Nathan Skidmore

Hi Craig,

You can actually create a theme in Articulate without replicating the Header and Footer from your main site. Just reference the master page from your Articulate views like so:

Layout = "~/Views/YourMaster.cshtml";

Cheers, Nathan

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Jan 30, 2015 @ 00:27
    Shannon Deminick

Hi Craig,

Once you set your theme, you can just change the property type definition for the style to be a label instead of a drop down, then nobody can change it but the admin,same goes for other style properties. Or you can just delete all of the other themes except for your own, then there will only be one item in the drop down.

All you need to do is create your own theme folder and your theme will show up in the drop down. You can still re-use all of your normal umbraco bits and pieces including layouts and partials, etc... it's the same as normal MVC. However you will probably need to reference things like layouts and partials by their virtual paths in your theme view files like "~/Views/MyCoolLayout.cshtml"

hope that helps.

Jan 30, 2015 @ 00:58
    Craig100

Thanks Shannon,

Good to know.

Craig

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft