Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nathan Skidmore 63 posts 251 karma points c-trib
    Jan 19, 2015 @ 18:02
    Nathan Skidmore

Preview Articulate blog post

Does anyone know if there is a way to preview an Articulate blog post before publishing? I understand that to preview a page in Umbraco it needs to be associated with a template, which in the traditional sense, blog items are not. Any ideas how I can get around this?

Cheers, Nathan

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jan 19, 2015 @ 19:14
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Nathan,

I assume that you are talk about preview a blog post when you are using the list view. If you have the new Fanoe starter kit installed, then you can click on blog node. After this you get the list view on all blog posts.

When you are on the list view for the blog posts, and if you click on the name of the blog post, then you get to the post content, on this node you have the preview button as you normally have on a Umbraco page.

Hope this helps, and make sense. If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask again.

/Dennis

Jan 20, 2015 @ 18:45
    Nathan Skidmore

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the tip. I am already using the data type 'content - list view', as Articulate uses it already to display the Archive and it's available in Umbraco 7.2 as standard. Therefore I don't need to install the Fanoe starter kit.

It appears that unless you assign a template to the node that displays it's children in a list view (in Articulate it's the Articulate Archive Node), you can't preview. If you assign a template, the preview button appears. Weirdly if you then remove the template association, the preview button remains.

I'm going to be doing some troubleshooting on this tomorrow and will let you know the outcome.

Cheers, Nathan

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Jan 21, 2015 @ 00:05
    Shannon Deminick

Hi Nathan,

TBH I never tested or thought about preview! Let me know your outcome, it's potentially a change that is require in Umbraco core since a template doesn't have to be assigned if hijacking routes but should still be allowed to preview.

Jan 21, 2015 @ 11:26
    Nathan Skidmore

OK I have looked into this and there is some unusual behavior with the list view, but I have managed to work around it.

The solution - Note: In my instance, I only want to preview each blog post, not the list of blog items (Archive). To achieve a preview of a blog post, you should do the following:

1. Assign any template to the Articulate Markdown and the Articulate Rich Text document types.
    2. Change any existing blog items to use the template
    3. Save and publish the blog items
    4. The preview button will now appear.
    5. Click the preview button to view the blog item, where it will load the blog in the Post view from your chosen Articulate theme, ignoring the template you just assigned.

So this works. It doesn't load the preview in the template you chose within the back office, but that's fine as Articulate templates don't sit in the templates folder anyhow, they are within App Plugins. The purpose of assigning a template is just to make the preview button appear. Articulate will route the blog item to the Articulate themed views.

The unusual behavior I mentioned earlier is if you actually remove the template from the document type and re-publish, the preview button remains on the page. Furthermore if you click the preview button, it still works. Umbraco remembers the previous template that you assigned and will still load the page.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Cheers, Nathan

Jan 21, 2015 @ 22:58
    Shannon Deminick

Thanks Nathan! Found an issue for this already here: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-3562 Have opened it and assigned to a release.

Jan 21, 2015 @ 22:58
    Shannon Deminick

and is also related to this: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-2793

• Steven Willett 10 posts 30 karma points
    Mar 23, 2015 @ 12:44
    Steven Willett

@Nathan Skidmore your 1st point solved this for me as I already had a template assigned to all blog items.

Thanks.

1. Assign any template to the Articulate Markdown and the Articulate Rich Text document types.
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft