Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• dave 36 posts 149 karma points
    Apr 23, 2015 @ 03:20
    dave

Umbraco 7 + Articulate blog engine

I am new to Umbraco and am moving from blogengine.net to umbraco

I was very impressed with the installation/setup/import coding.  It worked very well.

I found Articulate blog engine and installed.  After installation on the Content tab (in the dashboard) I see 3 root nodes.  One for home, blog and recycle bin.

What I am trying to accomplish is to put the latest blog entries on the home page.  I found a link which sounded like what I wanted but it is not working at all.  https://our.umbraco.org/projects/starter-kits/articulate/discussions/55577-Displaying-Articulate-blog-posts-on-my-homepage

I am thinking that some users have articulate setup inside of their home node, which may explain why that link doesnt work for me.

I found my master page and added the code 
    @Html.Partial("/App_Plugins/Articulate/Views/displayblogitemsonhomepage.cshtml", new Articulate.Models.ListModel(Umbraco.Content(1368)))

1.) I am not sure where umbraco.content(1368) came from > i am guessing it is a document type for articulate blog post ..really not sure

I also put a view at this location /App_Plugins/Articulate/Views/displayblogitemsonhomepage.cshtml

When the home page renders i get 

The best overloaded method match for 'Articulate.Models.ListModel.ListModel(Umbraco.Core.Models.IPublishedContent)' has some invalid arguments

I am guessing that i am getting that error cause umbraco doesnt understand what type Articulate.Models.ListModel is

I am hoping someone can help me get some understanding what is going on? thanks

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 23, 2015 @ 05:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dave and welcome to our :)

I just took the liberty of moving this post into the "Articulate" forum since I know Shannon who is the creator of the package and also a part of Umbraco HQ is usually pretty good at answering people when they're having issues with this package.

Even though I have not been using the package myself I am however going to try and see if I can help you out too :)

In regards to the 1368 - It refers to a node id in the Umbraco content tree and apparently it's necessary to pass a node id to the partial view. However it's not certain that the id's in your installation are the same as in the installation others are having. You can find the id of a node by going to the "Properties" tab of the node.

I suspect that the id refers to the "blogposts" node if such exists - Does your node id for this also match with 1368? Or does it have another id? If it has another id try passing it instead.

You should also be able to get some more error details by having a look in the /App_Data/Logs file and see if anything related to this issue marked with "ERROR" appears.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Apr 23, 2015 @ 14:48
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dave

Did you manage to get your issue solved?

/Jan

• dave 36 posts 149 karma points
    Apr 23, 2015 @ 15:01
    dave

I did get it working by passing in the correct id, however i did find some odd behavior.

In my view i was using var root = Model.AncestorOrSelf(1); > When using this and stepping through the code, it would throw a null exception unless i stepped through very slow. I replaced with var root = Model.RootBlogNode; to avoid this problem

What makes it odd is that the AncestorOrSelf approach would NOT WORK if i ran the site without debugging. Slowing it down however allowed Model.AncestorOrSelf(1) to resolve itself to something other than null.

I can't explain this.

reference: https://our.umbraco.org/projects/starter-kits/articulate/discussions/55577-Displaying-Articulate-blog-posts-on-my-homepage

I really appreciate the quick responses/help/support that i am seeing with Umbraco. Impressed again.

I do need some guidance in terms of structure/projects/updates etc. see https://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/64244-Visual-Studio-with-Umbraco-7

Apr 23, 2015 @ 15:07
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dave

Hmm, yeah that seems like some odd behavior - Not too sure what's going on. Maybe Shannon can provide some more detail about this if he sees your post. (He's the one who made the package and he's also part of HQ).

Yeah I saw that post - But to be honest I'm leaving it to those who are more used to using Visual Studio than me - I'm a frontend developer who really tries to avoid spending too much time in VS if possible :D

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft