Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nick Roberts 6 posts 71 karma points
    Apr 24, 2015 @ 22:01
    Nick Roberts

Categories merging through multiple different blogs.

Hi all,

Ive been running into a interesting issue when trying to create multiple articulate blogs. All the categories within all of the blogs are merging. Its probably a stupid mess up on my side but cant seem to fix it.

example of what should be happening:

blog 1 - category 1

blog 2 - category 2

what is happening:

blog 1 - category 1, 2

blog 2 - category 1, 2

I noticed the tags don't have this issue or the most recent posts only specific to categories. I'm sorry if my explanation is bad i'm very new to umbraco and articulate. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks :)

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Apr 24, 2015 @ 22:17
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Nick,

What datatype is used for categories?

Thanks, Alex

Apr 24, 2015 @ 23:08
    Nick Roberts

Hey Alex,

Datatype Articulate Categories is used. The property editor alias is Umbraco.Tags.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks.

Apr 24, 2015 @ 23:15
    Alex Skrypnyk

Nick,

You have to create new category group for you second blog, now you are using one category dataType and 2 blogs, so it's merging.

Look here:

http://screencast.com/t/b8q1PHXT

Apr 24, 2015 @ 23:21
    Nick Roberts

ahhhh that makes a lot of sense!

Alright so I went ahead and created a new category datatype. 

How would i go about linking the new category datatype to the second blog instead of using the same as the first blog?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, thanks again! ^_^

Apr 24, 2015 @ 23:34
    Alex Skrypnyk

Nick,

Alternatively you can customize your blogs, as you see root blog node has "Customize" tab, where you can change category, tag and search url param name - http://screencast.com/t/5PxV4JRa

Change url param names for second blog.

Thanks, Alex

Apr 24, 2015 @ 23:44
    Nick Roberts

Hey Alex,

Ive done exactly what you suggested with no luck. I think it fixed my issue for the main category section but not the categories within the sidebar. 

I took a screenshot to show you what I mean. Those categories are still being merged from both blogs. 

http://www.screencast.com/t/fBUoVWZS2m

Thanks, Nick

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Apr 27, 2015 @ 03:35
    Shannon Deminick

@Nick, I'm assuming that you have multiple blogs, meaning multiple articulate root nodes right? (i.e. multiple archives under a single root is not supported right now: https://github.com/Shazwazza/Articulate/issues/9 )

I think you may have found an issue that might be 'easily' fixed and that is to only show categories for a blog archive that has posts tagged against that category in that blog archive. I'll create an issue for it and test.

Also note that there is currently no real way of separating out tags/categories between multiple articulate roots, this is something that will need to be fixed and to do that correctly will need to be done with custom 'tag groups'. For example, the Articulate Categories and Articulate Tags data type has a pre-value set that can adjust the tag group, currently this is: "ArticulateTags" and "ArticulateCategories" but these cannot change since those strings are hard coded to articulate's core.

So there's two things that need to be done moving forward:

• Only render categories for a blog archive where there are actually articles tagged against a category
    • Be able to specify the tag group for an archive's tags/categories
    Apr 27, 2015 @ 03:37
  • Elvin Loo 20 posts 63 karma points
    Jul 28, 2015 @ 08:09
    Elvin Loo

This is probably related. I chanced upon this issue and it goes like this.

Basically, I've got a function that uses the GetAllCategories method to render an active category list. This function is used for category filtering.

I have a post which previously had a Category tag named "News". I've decided that this should be a Tag instead of Category, so, I've removed the "News" Category and added "News" to the tag field instead.

Now, my function still renders the "News" category when it shouldn't.

I can't work out what is wrong but my guess is that because a previous relationship exists between the post and the CategoryTag. So, there exists two relationships, the tag to the post and the category to the post.

Is this a bug or has anyone encountered this? One more important thing to note is, there is no other posts with the "News" category if one should question.

Is there a way to fix this? I would appreciate any help.

Cheers,

Jul 28, 2015 @ 08:09
    Elvin Loo

I'm using version 10.8 by the way

Jul 29, 2015 @ 05:32
    Elvin Loo

I've managed to fix my issue using the Tag Manager

However, I'm sure there's a better way to fix this.

Jul 29, 2015 @ 08:02
    Shannon Deminick

Yes, did you read the issue link posted above ? Also, there's an issue in the Umbraco Core (or at least there was) where tags would still show up if you had things tagged in the recycle bin, so be sure to empty that too.

• Govi 14 posts 35 karma points
    Aug 30, 2016 @ 00:41
    Govi

I am running into the same issue. I have multiple articulate blogs (one archive under one blog) and when I am rendering categories for a particular blog, the categories from all other blogs are getting displayed.

I am using articulate 1.0.9 Please let me know if this fixed or if I can work around this problem. Thanks!!

Sep 05, 2016 @ 11:28
    Shannon Deminick

I have responded to your question on GitHub: https://github.com/Shazwazza/Articulate/issues/160

Both of those issues are 'fixed' (closed) and you are using an old version, you should upgrade to the latest version and test. You will require Umbraco 7.3 as a minimum

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft