Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Graham Carr 277 posts 389 karma points
    Sep 15, 2016 @ 15:54
    Graham Carr

Strange 404 issue

I have a strange issue using the latest version of Articulate and Umbraco. I have two blogs, one under a parent node called EN and the other under a parent node called ES. All functionality works perfectly fine on the EN blog however whenever I click the link to a post on the ES blog I get a 404 error. The blog listing, category selection, tag selection, recent posts, etc. all work fine.

I can see the action Index getting hit in the BlogPostControllerBase class for posts under EN but it is never hit when I try to access a blog post under the ES blog.

What could be causing this issue. I have tried clearing the cache, bouncing the web.config, republishing the whole ES blog, but it still doesn't work.

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5269 karma points MVP 2x
    Sep 15, 2016 @ 15:59
    Shannon Deminick

Is ES and EN both Umbraco root nodes? If so, you cannot have 2 Umbraco root nodes without specifying domains on them, only one Umbraco root node can have no domains, otherwise routing problems occur, example:

• EN
      • MyPage --> This url will be made into "/mypage"
    • ES
      • MyPage --> This url will be made into "/mypage"

as you can see there's no way to differentiate between these two, umbraco will try but under several different circumstances, without having domains assigned to your root nodes routing issues will occur.

Let me know if this is the problem.

Sep 15, 2016 @ 16:41
    Graham Carr

Sorry, I should have explained a bit more in details, the structure is as follows:

EN
       - Blog
    ES
       - Blog

The EN node has been given a domain name and the ES node has been given a different node name. If you look at the following URLs you will see the issue in question:

https://atmosi.com/blog/ - Blog works fine, links to posts work fine https://atmosila.com/blog/ - Blog works fine, links to posts do not

Sep 15, 2016 @ 16:43
    Graham Carr

In addition, I have just noticed that the error being given is not that the umbraco document does not exist, more that no template exists to render the document. I have checked and ensured that the custom theme being used has been selected for both blogs.

Sep 16, 2016 @ 09:30
    Graham Carr

For anyone who might have the same problem, I have worked out what the issue was.

I had created a different type of blog post for the Spanish blog posts as different content was required. What I had forgotten to do was to replicate the ArticulateRichTextController.cs and BlogPostControllerBase.cs files to match the document type names of the Spanish blog posts, so in this case ArticulateRichTextSpanishController.cs and SpanishBlogPostControllerBase.cs.

Adding these sorted the issue out.

• S Jones 9 posts 81 karma points
    Jan 12, 2017 @ 22:05
    S Jones

Hi Graham! Thanks for posting this. I think I'm having a similar issue. I have added another blog to the root and modified the document type for the post. I'm getting the same error -- template doesn't exist. Where did you find the controllers that you replicated?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft