Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gordon Saxby 1444 posts 1855 karma points
    Mar 16, 2017 @ 10:55
    Gordon Saxby

Multilingual Articulate

I am working on a multilingual site using Vorto. It appears that we may now need to add a news section so I'm wondering if it would be possible to configure it (Articulate) to be multilingual - in the "Vorto" way of doing things!?

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Mar 30, 2017 @ 00:13
    Shannon Deminick

OOTB it will not work because Vorto changes everything to be JSON values and you need to extract the values accordingly and Articulate currently doesn't know anything about Vorto.

You could create a new Theme that knows about Vorto data. In Articulate everything operates from a model of type IMasterModel which is basically a strongly typed base model for all Articulate pages. It's important to understand that IMasterModel also implements IPublishedContent, so all of the methods and properties you normally have on IPublishedContent are available on the models that Articulate exposes in it's views and controllers and therefore you should be able to extract the Vorto values directly from there instead of using IMasterModel strongly typed properties.

Tags and Categories will probably be the larger problem. I don't know how Vorto deals with the tags Property Editor, but also Umbraco itself doesn't differentiate between tags for a specific culture. This would mean that if Vorto wraps the tags property editor correctly and that all tags for all cultures get added to the tags table, then a single content item would be tagged with all multilingual tags and there's no way for you to know which ones are for which culture. This might not be so bad though, the tags in the DB are for routing and things like the tag cloud (basically all the methods on ITagHelper use the tags in the DB). The tags that are displayed for a could easily come from the Vorto tags property values (CSV).

Good luck!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft