Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Brown 39 posts 80 karma points
    Oct 26, 2015 @ 15:42
    Paul Brown

Remove "/archive" from post URLs...

Hi All

Our client would like to remove "/archive" from blog post URLs...how is this best achieved and why is it like this out of the box?

Cheers Paul

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Nov 02, 2015 @ 18:19
    Shannon Deminick

You can change the name of the umbracoUrlName field, see image

enter image description here

• Paul Brown 39 posts 80 karma points
    Nov 04, 2015 @ 18:19
    Paul Brown

Ah thanks @ShannonDeminick :)

• Tim 168 posts 372 karma points
    Nov 27, 2015 @ 11:36
    Tim

HI both, this has been bugging us for a while but we've found a way around it.

We wanted to add it to an existing site and have the posts sit under the same url structure that they are at the moment i.e. /blog/post-name.

To do this we have:

1. Installed Articulate
    2. Added the Articulate blog at the root of the site so it sits along site the main domain's parent node
    3. Renamed "Archive" to "Blog"
    4. Added a content picker property to the "Archive" Document Type "umbracoInternalRedirectId"
    5. Set the umbracoInternalRedirectId to the root (original) "Blog" node

This way Umbraco will show the content from "Blog" on what was the "Archive" page (so you have your posts listed.

Due to the way that Umbraco works out it's urls, this will work as long as none of the other nodes at level 1 have a "blog" node...

• CB 10 posts 31 karma points
    Mar 23, 2016 @ 16:38
    CB

@ShannonDeminick

That doesn't seem to work...the value is appended to /archive/ rather than replacing it... so /archive/post/ becomes the Link To Document field. Umbraco 7.4

Would definitely like to avoid a workaround like Tim's solution if the functionality is already built into the Articulate core.

Thoughts?

• Shannon Deminick 1524 posts 5270 karma points MVP 2x
    Mar 23, 2016 @ 16:44
    Shannon Deminick

Hi CB, I can assure you that changing the umbracoUrlName i mentioned above works, just have a look at my blog: http://shazwazza.com/post/custom-assembly-loading-with-aspnet-core/

I don't know what you specific setup is and what your exact issue is, can you please explain.

Mar 23, 2016 @ 16:51
    CB

Hi @ShannonDeminick,

Very vanilla 7.4 build with a few common packages that shouldn't get in the way of Articulate.

The only uniqueness on our end is cloning a theme (Mini) and then altering the List and Post views to inherit from our own Master template because we use the blog engine as a section within the parent site rather than as a stand-alone website.

Do the Themes have any logic that might affect the functionality? I assume that logic would be tucked away in the DLLs which we aren't smart enough to touch =)!

Screenshot

Mar 23, 2016 @ 17:15
    CB

And I should clarify we're trying to do what Paul originally mentioned...completely remove the /archive segment from all article urls, not simply rename it.

abc.com/articles/article-one-title

rather than

abc.com/articles/archive/article-one-title

Maybe Tim's solution is the most straightforward workaround?

• Biagio Paruolo 1594 posts 1825 karma points c-trib
    Jun 21, 2016 @ 12:58
    Biagio Paruolo

I think that abc.com/articles/article-one-title is better than abc.com/articles/archive/article-one-title for SEO and archive segment is not util.

• Bobi 346 posts 950 karma points
    Mar 02, 2017 @ 20:41
    Bobi

Has anyone figured this out? I want to remove one directory title from the url when articulate is integrated into an existing website (i.e. with a homepage):

sitename.com/articulate/archive/"article-name"

I want to remove the "archive" portion, or if that's not possible, and renaming is the only way to solve this, then I would like to remove the "articulate" portion.

I can't seem to find a way to do this based on the way the articulate doc type is set up and file structure is. From what I understand, it must be as so:

-Homepage - Articulate -->Archive -->Authors

• Benny Tan 1 post 71 karma points
    Mar 01, 2018 @ 01:52
    Benny Tan

To those who still needs solution to this, you can simply download Virtual Nodes and set the Archive node to be invisible in your web config's app settings. Download it here: https://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/virtualnodes/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft