Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Valentin Valeanu 29 posts 152 karma points
    Mar 18, 2019 @ 09:12
    Valentin Valeanu

Probably a serious bug in Umbraco

Hi Umbraco

When working in Umbraco today I found what it seems to be a serious bug. Maybe I am the only one facing this but it is really scary what you can do with just a few clicks.

If you go to Developer/Data Types/Grid Layout and change the property editor from Grid Layout to Color Picker. And after this add a color and save the tab. And in the end select again Grid Layout in the property editor you will see that all the Settings, Styles and Row Configurations are erased.

I lost all my settings, in the images below I added just a new row configurations and done the same steps as I did today in the morning. And the result was the same, in the first image you can see that I have added a new row configuration and after doing what I mentioned above and coming back the row configuration was deleted.

Grid Layout to Color Picker Color Picker add color and save Row configuration deleted when coming back

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    Mar 18, 2019 @ 09:20
    Simon Dingley

That would be expected behaviour since you overwrote the datatype configuration when you saved the datatype after changing the property editor. What you should have done is created a new datatype for your colour picker and it would not have affected your Grid Layout dataype configuration.

Mar 18, 2019 @ 09:31
    Valentin Valeanu

I still don't understand what is the purpose of the Property Editor dropbox then. I think is a better idea to allow the user to specify the Property Editor when he/she makes a new datatype and only then.

Or at least to notify the user about the consequences when he/she changes to another Property Editor.

Is just too easy to change it and destroy everything what you have done, I have to reconstruct the whole website again now.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 18, 2019 @ 10:27
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Valentin,

I started reading this thread thinking "why on earth would you change the property editor from Grid Layout to Color Picker?!" ... and pretty much thinking the same as Simon's reply.

But then you make an excellent point about "what is the purpose of the Property Editor dropbox?", you are 100% right, it's too easy to change, or at least the assumption that if you changed it could be reverted.

I'm wondering if there would be a better UX for switching a Data Type's Property Editor?

In terms of use-case, I've done this many times, typically for switching out a Content Picker to MNTP, or a regular Textstring to Kevin Jump's Styled Textbox editor.

Cheers,
    - Lee

Mar 18, 2019 @ 10:08
    Simon Dingley

I still don't understand what is the purpose of the Property Editor dropbox then.

The dropdown, in my opinion, is needed as there are times when you may wish to change a datatype to use a different property editor. The configuration relates to the currently selected property editor so it makes no sense to persist it when the property editor changes.

Or at least to notify the user about the consequences when he/she changes to another Property Editor.

A valid point maybe. Consider creating an issue on the issue tracker if there is not one already.

Is just too easy to change it and destroy everything what you have done, I have to reconstruct the whole website again now.

The property data would normally not have been affected unless you then went and saved a document with one or more properties using the datatype. In your case, what you would need to do is restore the configuration of your Grid Editor on that datatype back to how it was and your content should not be lost.

I have to ask why you would change a Grid Layout datatype to a Colour picker in your case?

For future, I can also highly recommend you use the package uSync and commit your configuration files to your source code repository so that in situations like this you would have had the config available to roll back to.

Mar 18, 2019 @ 10:54
    Valentin Valeanu

Thank you for reply Simon, I will add this to the issue traker as soon as I have some free time.

I haven't worked so much in Umbraco and this is why I ended up changing the property editor from Grid Layout to Colour Picker.

I thought that this will add a color picker to my Grid Layout I have never realised that this will delete my whole Grid Layout.

Mar 18, 2019 @ 12:40
    Simon Dingley

Thank you for reply Simon, I will add this to the issue traker as soon as I have some free time.

If you don't do it now, you probably never will ;) I know because I am just as bad for telling myself I will do it later and never get around to it!

I thought that this will add a color picker to my Grid Layout I have never realised that this will delete my whole Grid Layout.

As both Lee & you have mentioned, it should probably be made clearer to users. For any destructive action that might be performed confirmation should be required before the change gets applied.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft