Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin 48 posts 69 karma points
    Jan 08, 2011 @ 13:34
    Martin

Umbraco caching issues - multiple hostnames

It took a fair bit of trial and error to reach this level of understanding, so I hope one of you experts can help me on this!

I have an Umbraco installation setup with 4 nodes off the root, each linked to a different host name.

If I log into the Umbraco admin area using one of the domains, and update content for that domain, everything works fine.

If I try to save and publish content for the nodes linked to other domains, the umbraco.config file is updated with the changes, but they do not appear when I browse to the appropriate public web links.

(Yes, I've checked that it isn't related to any browser caching!)

So, my question is, are there any settings I can tweak (in either Umbraco or IIS) which will allow updates to any node from any domain to be published and correctly cached.

I don't want to turn the XML caching off for performance reasons.

Thanks,

Martin

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Jan 08, 2011 @ 18:23
    Kim Andersen

Hi Martin.

This sound like an issue I also read and replied at last week here on the forum. You can find it here. The problem seems to have something to do with the setup in the IIS. Maybe you can try reading through the other thread, and try out some of the ideas that we talked about there.

/Kim A

Jan 08, 2011 @ 18:38
    Martin

Hi Kim,

On my IIS, each host name is bound to a separate IIS website (for logging purposes), pointed at the same physical path, but sharing an app pool.

Given the size of the app pool (~240MB for 4 very small sites all based on the same template and generating minimal traffic so far), I'm a bit loathe to point the sites at separate app pools.

In my mind, if they're all sharing the same database and content, it actually makes sense that they share an app pool as well. The app pool size is something I mentioned on another thread as I was surprised by how large it is.

Any other ideas at all?

Martin

Jan 11, 2011 @ 23:47
    Martin

Quick bump for this one if I may..

Does anyone have any further suggestions for a solution to this at all?

Thanks,

Martin

Jan 15, 2011 @ 14:16
    Martin

Another quick bump on this one. Is anyone able to help?

Martin

• Justin Grimm 56 posts 138 karma points
    Aug 01, 2011 @ 18:43
    Justin Grimm

Hey Martin, did you ever get this resolved?  Running into the same issue.

Aug 01, 2011 @ 20:10
    Martin

The caching sites based on the same template separately so that they don't all show updates? A simple recycle of the app pool does the trick as a workaround..

Martin

• Martin 7 posts 27 karma points
    Jan 02, 2013 @ 11:01
    Martin

XmlContentCheckForDiskChanges setting in umbracoSettings.config might be the setting you're looking for.

It seems like umbraco has two levels of cache. One in the xml file, and one in memory. When restarting IIS, or overwritting web.config, the inmemory cache gets erased, and reread from the XML file.

When XmlContentCheckForDiskChanges is set to true, umbraco should check if the xml cache has changed, and if it has, it should update the inmemory cache.

/Martin

• Eskil Busck 3 posts 33 karma points
    Jun 21, 2013 @ 22:31
    Eskil Busck

I had the same issue and the XmlContentCheckForDiskChanges worked for me. Thanks Martin!

- Eskil

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft