Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• pnr 131 posts 226 karma points
    Dec 20, 2010 @ 21:09
    pnr

Can not public changes i 2nd website

I have 2 different websites on one Umbraco soulution. The first website is working fine, but in the 2nd site, my changes isn't published until i make a change in web.config. I am using Umbraco 4.5.2, what can be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Dec 20, 2010 @ 23:37
    Sascha Wolter

Hi pnr,

that is very odd indeed. Looks like the cache doesn't get updated when you publish something in the second site. When you change something in the web.config the web app gets completely restarted, which means the cache is build from scratch and now takes in your changes.

Did you have a look at the Umbraco log after you did a publish with the second site? Looking through your server (asp.net) logs might be useful as well.

Are you hooking up to any page events, like AfterPublish or something with the second site?

Cheers,

Sascha

• Kim Andersen 1447 posts 2196 karma points MVP
    Dec 21, 2010 @ 01:34
    Kim Andersen

Hi pnr

Let's say that those two sites of yours are called www.site1.com and www.site2.com. When you go to www.site1.com and publishes content then the site1.com changes works, but site2.com changes doesn't, right.

What if you go to the backoffice through site2.com and publishes here. I'm talking about going to www.site2.com/umbraco/ and publish your site2.com content, instead og publishing it through www.site1.com/umbraco/. I'm just curious to know if this has any positive effect or not as I have tried something similar?

/Kim A

Dec 21, 2010 @ 20:52
    pnr

Hi Sascha and Kim!

Thanks very much for your replies!

@Kim If i go to the admin using the second sites domain it is working fine! Is it a known bug or have I setup somthing incorrect?

/Peter

Dec 22, 2010 @ 01:21
    Kim Andersen

Hi again Peter

I thought that it would work that way. But I'm not quite sure if it's a known bug. I had the same challenge the other day, when working on an installation with two sites. The strange part was, that when I published a node from the site that didn't work, the umbraco.config file was actually updated with the correct content. But when I printed out the $currentPage the newly published content (that was correctly written in the umbraco.config-file) wasn't visible there. Does that make sense at all?

So it's pretty strange actually, but now you have a work around at least.

/Kim A

Dec 22, 2010 @ 06:37
    pnr

Thanks again, if you find a better soulution please let med know!

Dec 22, 2010 @ 09:39
    Kim Andersen

Yeah, I'll return to this post if I find out anything else. It's bookmarked!

/Kim A

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Dec 22, 2010 @ 10:51
    Chris Koiak

Are both sites running in the same AppPool? If not this may explain why the internal cache isn't updated.

Chris

Dec 22, 2010 @ 20:17
    pnr

They are both in the same AppPool

/Peter

Dec 22, 2010 @ 20:49
    Kim Andersen

Hi again Peter

I loked a little more into this. I also had the two sites running the same app pool, but only one of the domains was binded with the website in my IIS. The other domain, was just ponting at the site through my host-file. But by binding both of the domains to the website in the IIS, I can now publish a node on website1.com, that are going to be visible on website2.com. Maybe you can use this to somthing?

/Kim A

Jan 01, 2011 @ 17:37
    pnr

Thanks for the update! I don't have access to the IIS, the soloution is hosted by UnoEuro.

/Peter

Jan 01, 2011 @ 19:19
    Kim Andersen

Peter, maybe you could try contacting them to hear if it's possible to get a single app pool for each site. It's worth a try, and they are usually coorperative at UnoEuro.

/Kim A

Jan 01, 2011 @ 19:35
    pnr

I will try that. thanks very much!

Jan 02, 2011 @ 13:39
    Kim Andersen

When you have talked to them, could you give us a heads up in here. Would be nice to know if this is possible at UnoEuro :)

/KimA

Jan 05, 2011 @ 20:27
    pnr

It was not posible.

/Peter

Jan 05, 2011 @ 21:31
    Kim Andersen

Ahh, that was too bad. But the more I think about it, the more it actually makes sense to me, because at UnoEuro you normally have one account, with one site attached to that account, and that site has a website in the IIS. So they probably won't go around and set up more app pools to one account.

/Kim A

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft