Press Ctrl / CMD + C to copy this to your clipboard.
This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at
I have been doing some testing and I see some troubling stuff in Umbraco 4.7.0 but I'm not assuming the system could actually be this broken, so I'm posting here in the hope that somebody can explain how it should actually work.
You can find the steps to reproduce below.
Basically I see 5 bugs, in the same order that they appear in the right hand column of the steps below:
1. The link that Umbraco displays for the first child of the first top-level node is not in a correct format, it will look like //name.aspx instead of /name.aspx (so there are two forward slashes).
2. It seems that after adding a second top-level node (ie. directly under the Content folder) visting any of its subpages will result in a 404 when you click the Link to document.
3. After adding a hostname to a top-level node, Umbraco will start displaying an Alternative link that is an exact duplicate to the 'normal' Link to document. if it's the same then clearly it's not an alternative.
4. After adding different hostnames to two top-level nodes, Umbraco will resolve URLs for a children of the top-level nodes to the first childnode it can find, regardless of that nodes' parent hostname. [I'm using the Visual Studio built-in development server with a fixed port :50151, but even adding the port to the end of the hostname doesn't help]
5. When choosing a childnode the second top-level node for the umbracoInternalRedirectId property of that top-level node, Umbraco will correclty save the ID of the selected node. But when the viewing the top-level node in the browser Umbraco will not render the correct node based on the ID, it will actually choose the first childnode of the first top-level node that matches the node name. [Same comment applies with regard to using Visual Studio and a fixed port]
Since 4.7.0 has been out for 6 weeks and I assume it has been tested, I'm not sure if I should log all of these as bugs.
Can someone explain wether or not this is expected behavior?
Steps to reproduce (copy to notepad for better view):
- Ensure language exists: English (United States)
- Add language: Dutch (Netherlands)
- Ensure umbracoSettings.config: useDomainPrefixes=true
- Delete all nodes
- Empty Recycle Bin
- Delete ~/App_Data/umbraco.config
- Right-click /Content > Republish entire site
- Create & publish page /Content/A (ID=1085)
- Link to document = / OK
Multiple top-level nodes
- Create page /Content/B (ID=1086)
- Link tot document = /b.aspx OK
- Create & publish page /Content/A/Test (ID=1087)
- Link tot document = //test.aspx BUG 1 (incorrect link)
- Try manual link /test.aspx OK
- Create & publish page /Content/B/Test (ID=1088)
- Link tot document = /b/test.aspx BUG 2 (404)
- Create & publish page /Content/B/Testing (ID=1089)
- Link tot document = /b/testing.aspx BUG (404)
- Add hostname site.com.local to /Content/A
- Publish A and all its subnodes
- Link to document
Node Before hostname After hostname
/Content/A / http://site.com.local OK
http://site.com.local BUG 3 (not alternate)
/Content/A/Test //test.aspx http://site.com.local/test.aspx OK
http://site.com.local/test.aspx BUG 3 (not alternate)
- Add hostname site.nl.local to /Content/B
- Publish B and all its subnodes
- Link to document
Node Before hostname After hostname (link+alternative link)
/Content/B /b.aspx http://site.nl.local BUG 4 (renders 1085, /Content/A)
http://site.nl.local BUG 3 (not alternate)
/Content/B/Test /b/test.aspx http://site.nl.local/test.aspx BUG 4 (renders 1087, /Content/A/Test)
http://site.nl.local/test.aspx BUG 3 (not alternate)
/Content/B/Testing /b/testing.aspx http://site.com.local/testing.aspx OK
http://site.com.local/testing.aspx BUG 3 (not alternate)
- Set /Content/A umbracoInternalRedirectId to /Content/A/Test
- Visiting http://site.com.local/ renders /Content/A/Test (1087) OK
- Set /Content/B umbracoInternalRedirectId to /Content/B/Test
- Visiting http://site.nl.local/ renders /Content/A/Test (1087) BUG 5 (not /Content/B/Test)
Well, that was a lot of work for no response at all... :-(
Maybe you just got unlucky you posted at a time where the forum was very busy and your post was overlooked? It unfortunately happens...
I suppose you still have this issue?
In order to make sure that Manage Hostnames is acting the way it's intended to do you need to make sure that
1) In the IIS you have a site with the proper bindings to your site. For instance site1.local and site2.local
2) In Umbraco you add the hostname for each of your sites so it corresponds to the proper sites. If you have this structure for instance:
Site 1 (add site1.local in the manage hostnames)Site 2 (add site2.local in the manage hostnames)
3) Make sure that <useDomainPrefixes>false</useDomainPrefixes> is set to "true" in the umbracoSettings.config file.
If you follow the above steps it should act as intended.
Hope this helps you after all :)
Thanks for your reply.
I have reported (and possibly fixed) one of these bugs. The rest will take some spare time to reproduce, report and hopefully fix.
I guess the forum is just not the best venue to report about possible bugs.
The forum is a good place to ask if others can reproduce possible bugs before submitting issues on codeplex.
But when you find bugs you should check on codeplex if the bug has already been reported - if not then create it :)
Here is the first bug on Codeplex.
This one is fairly simple to fix so I have a pull request waiting for that. Hopefully I can tackle some of the other issues I encountered as well. But for now, I have a project to finish :-)
Any update on this? I am seeing similar issues in a 4.7.2 instance.
This topic might show some other problems: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/28790-Multiple-multilingual-website-hostname-problem. The hostnames and routing will be completely rewritting in v4.10.0.
Yikes. Any chance you could send me the patch discussed in that thread?
trowpa at hotmail dot com
4.10 is a long wait...
Got them. What a helpful community!!!!
Hello, we have a site running 4.7.1 at www.lifeskills-mo.org and have created 3 subsites within the same Umbraco instance and have the hostname setup to one of the nodes as festivaloftrees-stl.org (and .com) however when you go to http://festivaloftrees-stl.org it just resolves to the main/default site, which is www.lifeskills-mo.org.
It works in our beta environment as you can go to http://festival.beta.habanero.com and get the subsite but it will not work here in the live environment. Obviously, the DNS of festivaloftrees-stl.org is pointing to the proper host as it resolves to the default site but we need it to resolve to the proper site.
Can anyone help? Thanks.
is working on a reply...
Write your reply to:
Image will be uploaded when post is submitted