Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at


  • Dibar 92 posts 74 karma points
    May 28, 2010 @ 20:51
    Dibar
    1

    Slow Backend - Richtext Editor takes 30sec to Load

    Hi!

      Running 4.0.4.1, I have two sites with essentially the same structure, on the same server. On one site the backend behaves fairly well, taking no more than ten seconds for most things.

      But on the other, whenever a TinyMCE control is involved, a wait of 27-30seconds takes place. Similar behavior is described in other threads, though not TinyMCE specific. None of those solutions apply here--I can't move to a new server or rewrite the richtext datatype (quickly).

      Viewing with Firefox & Firebug reveals that the GET editContent?id=xx for content pages and the GET editDataType?id=yy have long "waits". Content doctypes with two richtext properties (on different tabs) take a minute to load, so each editor is taking a full 30s. Selecting the datatype in the Edit Datatype panel of Developer section takes 30 seconds.

      At first I thought it was the images, as they always appeared last, but the images load fine and fast...after a 30 second wait.

      I don't know how to look any closer at what the problem is. I reasserted permissions over entire site, they're good. The regularity of the wait suggests a timeout somewhere. Server settings are identical to another site that does not have this issue. This problem persisted when upgrading 4.0.3 to 4.0.4.1. and survived "reindexing".

     Any tips? Where are all the TinyMCE bits? The config I found. I want to examine security on all individual files though.

    What can I do with editDataType.aspx or editContent.aspx to see what is not working? Firebug, as far as I know to use it, just says 'wait'.  

     Other notes: Problem exists for base "Richtext editor" datatype as well as any other Datatypes given the TinyMCE control. Problem remains even if no checkboxes are selected, if no stylesheets associated, etc. The "TinyMCE (deprecated...)" control does not have this problem with a thirty second wait--but it is deprecated, and bound to have some other problem (does it have spellcheck?).

    What sort of things can I tell from the database? I have access to the DB with Management Studio, but not full admin access to the installation or server.

    Thanks!

  • Dibar 92 posts 74 karma points
    May 28, 2010 @ 20:57
    Dibar
    0

    I looked at the umbracoLog table. The site appears to be restarting everytime an editor is required.

  • kristian schneider 187 posts 327 karma points
    Dec 20, 2010 @ 12:33
    kristian schneider
    0

    Did you ever find out what was causing this?

     

    Best regards

    Kristian

  • Dibar 92 posts 74 karma points
    Apr 14, 2011 @ 19:03
    Dibar
    1

    There were at least two issues. I don't know why umbraco was restarting every 90 seconds, but I tried everything I knew to fix it. In the end, I had to pay a few dollars more a month for my hosting, still shared, but I upgraded to a "dedicated application pool" and that took care of restarting. This was version 4.1 I believe so things could be different now, but...

    ...the second issue was in the end related to CSS rules, even though I did much testing without them. See, I frequently had more than one RTE data-type, on different tabs, for my testing, which in combination with things just being naturally faster in development, with a local datbase server, than in deployment, with a database on a different server, made this a tough one. As it stands, described in this issue http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/29297 every CSS rule, for every RTE editor that will be rendered when selecting a document in the Content Tree to be edited, requires at least one databasse call (per rule) perhaps more. So, as a site gets bigger, you may think it is slowing down (in the backend, Content section) because you are adding more and more nodes, when in fact you are probably adding more and more rules to the CSS available to the RTE and THAT is what is slowing things down, not the size of the site.

    This revelation cooled me on umbraco for, well, it looks like nearly a year--but I still love it. Now I'm working with just headlines in my RTE, as that is about all TinyMCE seems to handle anyway.

    I know this is four months in response, but the question was seven months after I first tried to get help, so perhaps people are still struggling with this.

  • tentonipete 78 posts 223 karma points
    Jun 11, 2012 @ 17:19
    tentonipete
    0

    I've just run into this gem! My document type has 10 RTEs and 7 CSS rules... My back office page load times are in the region of 30 seconds. Removing all CSS rules brings the load time down to about 6 seconds.

    I've voted up the codeplex issue, but given that it was raised in 2010 and the impact has been set as "LOW", I guess there's no intention of fixing it any time soon.

  • tentonipete 78 posts 223 karma points
    Jul 06, 2012 @ 11:27
    tentonipete
    0

    this issue should be fixed in 4.8 - try out the beta to see if it is still a problem

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft