Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Saxon 10 posts 31 karma points
    Jul 05, 2010 @ 22:35
    Saxon

Canvas Edit Troubles - Unspecified Error in 4.5

Hi there,

I'm working in Umbraco 4.5, .NET 3.5 (VS2008 using TFS source control), IIS6, and Windows Server 2003 r2 sp2 (but this also applies to running it in Cassini - all test cases below were done in both environments with the same results)

I've been having trouble using the canvas edit for a while (started with 4.0.3, have upgraded to 4.5), specifically with the RichText field. As far as I can remember, it worked when I initially installed Umbraco, but stopped working early on in the project.

I've read:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/3434-Canvas-not-working-v402

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/10108-Edit-in-Canvas-and-XSLT

and a few other threads with suggestions... in the latter (that identified the issue with $() vs jQuery()), I found that to be a problem and replaced the dollar sign with 'jQuery' throughout the ItemEditing.js file. This got TextStrings working.

However, when I click on a RichText field while in Canvas mode...

IE8 & IE8 Compatibility mode: The edit area opens, the formatting bar appears (but with an ugly overlap of the left controls and the save controls), and I can edit the content. When I click outside the edit area, I get the Error bubble stating that "An unspecified error occurred" and the edit area (and text) disappear completely. When I go to edit the page's other field (a TextString), I get the Unspecified Error bubble again.

FF3.6: The edit area opens, the formatting bar looks good. As in the IE8 test, when I click outside the edit area, the text disappears and I get the Unspecified Error bubble.

Chrome: I have problems editing both TextStrings and RichText fields with Chrome 5.0.x, so I should focus on the results from the other two browsers.

Here are the source files being used (I created a test doc type and template, as suggested in the first link above):

TestCanvas.master:

<%@ Master Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/umbraco/masterpages/default.master" AutoEventWireup="true" %>
    <asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolderDefault" runat="server">
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
    <html>
    <body>
    <form id="itemForm" runat="server">
        <umbraco:Item runat="server" field="testString"></umbraco:Item>
        <umbraco:Item runat="server" field="testArea"></umbraco:Item>
    </form>
    </body>
    </html>
    </asp:Content>

umbraco/masterpages/default.Master:

<%@ Master Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="default.master.cs" Inherits="umbraco.presentation.masterpages._default" %>
    <asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="ContentPlaceHolderDefault" runat="server">
    </asp:ContentPlaceHolder>

Any help would be greatly appreciated - the "unspecified" nature of the error has me at a bit of a dead end.

Regards,

Saxon

Jul 05, 2010 @ 22:42
    Saxon

Oops, meant to mention that I've tested this in Cassini with the entire solution checked out from TFS - I initially hoped that it was a permissions issue, but that didn't change anything.

• Chris Bywaters 1 post 21 karma points
    Jul 26, 2010 @ 21:43
    Chris Bywaters

Saxon - Have you made any progress with this issue.  I have just started with Umbraco and I am hitting the exact same errors you seem to have come across.

• Vold Hooker 15 posts 35 karma points
    Jul 30, 2010 @ 14:43
    Vold Hooker

I'm also interested in any solution to this issue.

• Mikkel Johansen 116 posts 292 karma points
    Aug 02, 2010 @ 15:39
    Mikkel Johansen

Any news regarding the topic?

PLEASE go vote
    http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/28077

Aug 04, 2010 @ 15:48
    Saxon

Hi Chris - I haven't made any progress. Luckily our client hasn't identified the canvas edit as a high priority feature, so we're just sitting on it for now.

Perhaps those with the same problem could post some details and maybe we could identify a common element?

Mikkel - I posted that link above as well - it's a great thread, but unfortunately didn't solve my problem =(

Cheers

• Tyrone 8 posts 28 karma points
    Aug 05, 2010 @ 16:02
    Tyrone

I am having the exact same issues. Safari does not work to with canvas mode. When you click on an item within Chrome does nothing happen? I need to get this working as this is a high priority for the client. I am aso unable to navigate between pages when in canvas mode. Any help will be much appreciated!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft