Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steve D 11 posts 41 karma points
    Aug 09, 2009 @ 23:51
    Steve D

Canvas not working v4.0.2

I'm using umbraco v 4.0.2.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.3441.17657) and after installing and setting a user to login directly to canvas, the canvas environment shows. I can create or delete pages, publish and unpublish, however I can't edit any of the fields on the page. Have I missed something or do I need to re-install?

any help would be gratefully received.

• Shannon Deminick 1526 posts 5272 karma points MVP 2x
    Aug 10, 2009 @ 03:19
    Shannon Deminick

Canvas will not work with every page you create. Canvas will only work if you are rendering data to the page using the umbraco:Item control. If you are dynamically rendering out data via XSLT, then canvas won't know where the data came from and therefore you can't edit it.

If you are using umbraco:item to render your data, are you getting any javascript errors or using custom data types?

Aug 12, 2009 @ 14:08
    Steve D

I am using umbraco:item like so: <umbraco:Item field="PageContent" runat="server"></umbraco:Item>

I get no javascript errors, however there is an information bubble saying "unspecified error!" when I try to log out of canvas. I need to restart umbraco to be able to log the user out. From everything I have read online, I can't see what is causing this issue so I believe it is a corruption of one or more of the link libraries in the install.

The source of one of my templates is entered below for you to check. I have tried using umbraco:Item as well as umbraco:item but neither makes a difference.

<%@ Master Language="C#" MasterPageFile="/masterpages/GBAMain.master" AutoEventWireup="true" %>

<asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolderDefault" runat="server">
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%" style="padding:5px;">
    <tr>
     <td>&nbsp;</td>
     <td align="center" class="contentHeader"><umbraco:Item field="PageTitle" runat="server"></umbraco:Item></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
     <td width="20%" valign="top">
    <umbraco:Item field="PageImage" recursive="true" runat="server" xslt="concat('&lt;img src=&quot;', umbraco.library:GetMedia({0},'true')/data[@alias='umbracoFile'], '&quot; border=0 alt=&quot;GBA Left Image&quot; width=&quot;175&quot; /&gt;')" xsltDisableEscaping="true" /></td>
     <td style="vertical-align:top;">
    <table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
    <tr><!-- Top Content -->
     <td style="background-color:#e7e8ec;">
      <umbraco:item field="PageContent" runat="server"></umbraco:Item>
     </td>
     <td>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    </table>
     </td>
    </tr>
    </table>

</asp:Content>

As you will see this is a rediculously basic page, but demonstrates the problem I am having.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Aug 12, 2009 @ 14:38
    Douglas Robar

I've used Canvas on umbraco 4.0.2.1 without problems so I don't think it is a general issue with Canvas. But let's run a couple tests to see if this can be narrowed down.

You've got a couple umbraco:Item fields, what makes you think it is the PageContent that is the problem? Do the other fields work okay and only the PageContent field is problematic? If any of the fields work with Canvas then Canvas is working and we only need figure out the issue with a specific field.

So let's try something really simple to double-check Canvas.

1. Create a new document type
    2. Give the document type 1 property.
      Let's call it 'testField' and make it a textstring
    3. Edit the template for the docType to have the following (no master template... we want very simple here):

<%@ Master Language="C#" MasterPageFile="/umbraco/masterpages/default.master" AutoEventWireup="true" %>
      <html>
      <body>
      <form runat="server">
          <umbraco:Item runat="server" field="testField"/>
      </form>
      </body>
      </html>
    4. Create a new document in your content tree, give the testField some value. Save/Publish.
    5. View the new page in a browser to be sure it displays properly (that is, test that the template is working)
    6. Now edit the page in Canvas

Let us know what you find out.

If this simple test doesn't work then there's a basic problem with Canvas. If that's the case, tell us more about your site... was it upgraded from a previous version, for instance? Have you triple-checked the file permissions for the various folders on the site?

If this simple test does work, add a property to the doctype for PageContent and change the field in the template to your PageContent field. Does it work? If not, tell us about the PageContent field, it's datatype, what is stored in it, etc. If it does work, try the other umbraco:Item fields in your original template until you find the offending item.

Again, let us know what you find out.

cheers,
    doug.

Aug 14, 2009 @ 16:33
    Steve D

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the advice. Sorry it has been so long..... I've been involved in client demonstrations, Microsoft exams, defending my reputation and testing this and other applications....

I've made a couple of breakthroughs with editing pages using Canvas but first of all I'll let you know what I did to test this...

1. I created a simple page on umbraco using no master page (it forces you to use the /umbraco/masterpages/default.master if no other is specified). I actually used the code above. Canvas allowed me to edit the fields correctly.

2. I changed it to a Rich Text Editor field (which was the one in question) and again editing was no problem.

3. I updated the original by removing the asp:Content placeholder which displayed the master on top and the sub below and was editable. This confused me slightly so I looked a little further....

4. I removed the stylesheet links, javascript stuff and the header umbraco tags and lo and behold it was editable again.

5. I tried adding these back in one at a time and it stayed editable. not sure what I had wrong before, but must've been a syntax issue.

I did notice that if you have recursive="true" on any umbraco:Item fields, it is not editable (please let me know if I have thisone wrong!). So to change that you have to make sure you display the field on the top level page the recursive is referencing, without it being recursively referenced! I have the phone number on the base master and say recursive so I only need to set the number in the homepage, however I have to also display the phone number on the homepage to make it editable. Editing this field then propagates the change accross the site correctly.

Thanks so much for the help and sorry for being such a ham fisted beginner.

cheers

Steve

Aug 14, 2009 @ 16:36
    Steve D

Sorry, I forgot to include that before step 4 I included the tag:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> as the editor bar was sitting below the text to edit, this sorted the display issues and an error on logging out from Canvas.

Thanks once again for the help.

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Aug 14, 2009 @ 16:38
    Douglas Robar

No worries at all. Glad you've got it sorted out, and thanks for sharing... it'll be a help to the next person who wonders about this.

cheers,
    doug.

• wilberRivera 24 posts 42 karma points
    Jun 17, 2010 @ 17:48
    wilberRivera

Hi everybody, I had the same problem, and I follow the instructions of Douglas, but when I click on "Save and publish" button browser shows this message "Assertion Failed: Live Editing - ItemEditing: Submit button not set. Break into debugger?", thanks for help me.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft