Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robin Nicholl 137 posts 277 karma points
    Mar 22, 2012 @ 21:53
    Robin Nicholl

umbraco.config keeps disappearing!

For the second time in as many days, my Umbraco site has gone offline (/config/splashes/noNodes.aspx). The site has been running fine for over a year, and gets about 75,000 visits each month. It's Umbraco 4.6.1

Yesterday my client informed me that a node that they'd unpublished was still appearing. (Note: It's a load-balanced site, with the Umbraco admin on one server and the actual site served to users on 2 separate loadbalanced servers – all set up as per Umbraco instructions and working fine, until now). I investigated and found that the umbraco.config files on the load-balanced servers were out of sync with the one on the admin server, so I selected "Republish entire site", which normally sorts out these sort of problems… and that's when everything went wrong.

App_Data/umbraco.config completely disappeared. I found everything I could online and eventually, by about 4:30 this morning, it was running again. I did all sorts of things, like running sp_adjustpublisheridentityrange on the SQL server (at one point, as I tried to republish all the nodes, I got an error to do with a check constraint in the db); Recycled the app pool and restarted the website on each of the servers; republished each node manually; republished each of the top level nodes, etc. After several attempts that failed at the last hurdle (umbraco.config kept disappearing again), it eventually worked.

About 12 hours later, just after I'd had to create a new page (with a new doc type and template) it fell down again when I published the new page. This time all I did was paste in a recent copy of umbraco.config, recycle app pools, restart websites, copy umbraco.config into each of the load-balanced servers, recyccle/restart again… and it came back.

But it now appears very fragile, and I'm afraid to "do" anything with the site. I still need to publish that additional page, but I just know it's going to crash again.

What could possibly be causing this?

• Robin Nicholl 137 posts 277 karma points
    Apr 06, 2012 @ 16:23
    Robin Nicholl

Does nobody have any advice on this? It's happened to the site again, and I'm having trouble getting it to work again: I keep resinstating AppDate/umbraco.config and it keeps disappering whenever  try to publish the site!

• Priyanka 7 posts 27 karma points
    Jun 21, 2013 @ 11:33
    Priyanka

did you get any solution for this? I m also facing same issue. I posted my forum to http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/api-questions/42131-Umbraco-content-pages-disapper

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft