Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• kristian schneider 190 posts 351 karma points
    Nov 20, 2012 @ 12:59
    kristian schneider

Shared content multilanguage website best practices

Would would be the best approach for the following scenario:

I have a large .co.uk website with a lot of content and everything runs fine as it is. 

I now want to copy this site to another english speaking TLD under the same umbraco instance and perhaps change a few bits here and there in the content.

But in normal operations I want to be able to edit content on the old website and have this reflected in the new too, without me having to edit in to places.

I would prefer not to tamper to much with the document templates as they are, ie. not introduce new language fields and having to amend rendering in the templates.

My inital thought was if one was able to utilise the related node api and only render new TLD content if a particular marker had been set on the content. But I don't seem to be able to do that easily.

Any thoughts?

• Fuji Kusaka 2203 posts 4220 karma points
    Nov 20, 2012 @ 13:05
    Fuji Kusaka

How about making use of the property Related Content ? I once used this for a mobile website under the same umbraco instance where i only wanted to pull content from anothe node.

• kristian schneider 190 posts 351 karma points
    Nov 20, 2012 @ 13:14
    kristian schneider

Perhaps it could be achieved by writing a macro that does some checking and then does an internal redirect, based on the relation, with Server.Transfer .

• Anthony Dang 1404 posts 2558 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Nov 20, 2012 @ 13:40
    Anthony Dang

Recently we created an umbraco instance for serving data to multiple sites. We used web api to simply return the xml cache.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft