Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Siw Ørnhaug 130 posts 109 karma points
    Sep 13, 2011 @ 17:21
    Siw Ørnhaug

Automatic video convertion to mp4 when uploading video

I'm using Umbraco 4.7 as backend of a very specialized publishing project. Users have the option to upload videos that will be handled by my company's own HTML5 compliant viewer. This require the videos to be in flash or H.264 format. It's important that the user is not bothered with the actual conversion. I'm trying to do it automatically in a document AfterSave event handler. Videos will be mainly in AVI or WMV format and converted to MP4.

I really don't know anything about video conversion, the very concept makes me very blond ;-)

I've tried the Solid FFmpeg C# .Net Wrapper, but I'm having trouble with the interop functionality. Maby because I don't really understand what I do, but I've received patient help from the people behind it and I have extensive access on the web server. Still I'm not able to load the correct dll from the event handler.

I've used a lot of time on this implementation, that's why I'm looking for other people's experiences.

The only relevant post I've found on this forum is by Froad a year ago. I've posted on his thread too, but hope to get more attention with this post.

Hope that anyone of you wonderful Umbraco people can advice me.

Siw

• Tom Hare 49 posts 81 karma points
    Sep 13, 2011 @ 17:44
    Tom Hare

Hi Siw,

I'm not sure of your exact requirements but we've used a service called Zencoder for encoding videos to various formats in the past. One of the best things about their service is that they have a very customisable javascript API so I would think it entirely possible for you to be able to accept an uploaded video through Umbraco, send off to Zencoder via FTP and receive the encoded video back via FTP also. It is a paid service but it's very cheap (only a few US cents per minute of video) and you can convert unlimited test videos (5 seconds long after encoding) to try it out.

Hope this helps.

Tom

• firewing 1 post 21 karma points
    Dec 24, 2012 @ 11:20
    firewing

See how to convert wmv files to mp4 files

of course, you an use ffmpeg,

mencoder filename.wmv -oac copy -ovc copy -o filename.mp4
  • diaossis 1 post 21 karma points
    Sep 04, 2013 @ 05:52
    diaossis

convert video among diffierent formats, just find a good video converter, Handbrake and Freemake are all good selection, completely free and no other cost. Handbrake has both windows and Mac version. best solution for  convert avi to mp4 for all users. have a try. 

or have a view at the detailed guide at: http://www.ivideotool.com/how-to/convert-avi-to-mp4-mac.html
  • Siw Ørnhaug 130 posts 109 karma points
    Sep 05, 2013 @ 08:49
    Siw Ørnhaug

Thanks for responses guys. The original case was solved in other ways, but the option to do this is possibly still interesting to other people.

• DemiEvans 1 post 21 karma points
    May 13, 2014 @ 10:40
    DemiEvans

I use Xilisoft Video Converter .... can convert to ANY format as well as editing for montages adding and taking away stuff.
    Its normally NOT free...But if you know where to find it then you can by pass that(i do not recommend this).
    I use this all the time...NO problem at all.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft