Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• nickornotto 397 posts 900 karma points
    Sep 02, 2019 @ 20:31
    nickornotto

What's the best way to upgrade from 7.6 to 7.15.1 (including db upgrade)

I am trying to upgrade the site from v 7.6 to v. 7.15.1

I have done the upgrade on localhost which included updating the db.

Now I transferred my files from localhost o the test site and on there I am getting an error in log:

ERROR Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - An unhandled exception occurred
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Invalid object name 'umbracoUserLogin'.

and I can't login to the backoffice.

It seems to be looking for umbracoUserLogin on test while it doesn't exist yet because on test the db is not updated yet.

How to update the db on test in this case while the files have already been updated on localhost and transferred to test site?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 02, 2019 @ 21:15
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Manila

How did you do upgrade locally?

THanks,

Alex

Sep 03, 2019 @ 04:54
    nickornotto

Via nuget

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 03, 2019 @ 08:24
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Manila

Did you deploy all your files on live?

Thanks,

Alex

Sep 03, 2019 @ 12:15
    nickornotto

Hmm, I'm not that crazy.. I tested it on local and test so far.

I had issues after updating the version of which the most important was that all bundles stopped working - which still needs resolving as I have no idea why it happened.

So obviously I cannot do it straight on live.

• Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com 354 posts 1638 karma points
    Sep 03, 2019 @ 05:32
    Shaishav Karnani from digitallymedia.com

Hi Manila,

You need to run the upgrade on test site too as it will update the database.

You have 2 options:-

1. Do the same process on Test site. But you need to try Manually Upgrading from a zip file package rather than nuget. https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/getting-started/setup/upgrading/general

2. You can again start with v 7.6 site and download test database and setup locally. Now, upgrade the site to v7.15.1. Once all completed then copy back the database to server as well as the new folder/files.

We have tried both the options earlier and they will work for you.

Regards, Shaishav

Sep 03, 2019 @ 12:20
    nickornotto
    1. This is my Plan B after the first attempt didn't work. We've update from nuget though and I can't see any advantages doing it from zip file..

2. I tried this but this needs live site being off-line for the time of setup locally which may be too long. Anyway we can't restore on live as we use different db server version there and no chance for upgrading right now.

I thought there might be another way but in this case I will try 1.

• Steve Megson 151 posts 1022 karma points MVP c-trib
    Sep 03, 2019 @ 12:33
    Steve Megson

The site that you've already upgraded through nuget should be fine to deploy, it just needs to know that the database hasn't been upgraded yet. If you've deployed the web.config from your local upgrade to the test site, it'll expect that it's already looking at a 7.15.1 database.

If you set umbracoConfigurationStatus in web.config back to "7.6.0", the test site will then know that the database needs to be upgraded.

Sep 03, 2019 @ 18:57
    nickornotto

That is a good information, I'll try it soon. Thanks

Sep 15, 2019 @ 12:25
    nickornotto

It worked to the point whn I deployed the upgraded site to test and started the db upgrade process.

Unfortunately I got an error just at the beginning:

Error during installation
    Invalid column name 'controlId'.

See the log for full details (logs can typically be found in the App_Data\Logs folder).

Full stack:

2019-09-15 13:21:24,918 [P121504/D2/T12] ERROR Umbraco.Core.Persistence.UmbracoDatabase - Exception (5ccb3b61).
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Invalid column name 'controlId'.
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.TryConsumeMetaData()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString, Boolean isInternal, Boolean forDescribeParameterEncryption, Boolean shouldCacheForAlwaysEncrypted)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry, SqlDataReader ds, Boolean describeParameterEncryptionRequest)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
       at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
       at StackExchange.Profiling.Data.ProfiledDbCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior) in c:\Code\github\SamSaffron\MiniProfiler\StackExchange.Profiling\Data\ProfiledDbCommand.cs:line 235
       at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader()
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass5_0.<ExecuteReaderWithRetry>b__0()
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.FaultHandling.RetryPolicy.ExecuteAction[TResult](Func`1 func)
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.ExecuteReaderWithRetry(IDbCommand command, RetryPolicy cmdRetryPolicy, RetryPolicy conRetryPolicy)
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.ExecuteReaderWithRetry(IDbCommand command, RetryPolicy retryPolicy)
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.PetaPocoCommandExtensions.ExecuteReaderWithRetry(IDbCommand command)
       at Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Database.<Query>d__74`1.MoveNext()
    ClientConnectionId:071de3e4-5545-44ed-bd68-0a5337059249
    Error Number:207,State:1,Class:16

So it still has problems with old db structure.

• Nurhak Kaya 53 posts 147 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Sep 04, 2019 @ 09:22
    Nurhak Kaya

@manila I answered your question here, please see my answer on stackoverflow for your question.

Sep 15, 2019 @ 12:28
    nickornotto

Hi, yes, I saw your answer. I had no time to try the upgrade up to now though.

See my comment above with the error stack.

Yes, App_Data has been cleared.

It has a problem with db though, not sure which table as the error isn't very specific.

Sep 15, 2019 @ 12:47
    nickornotto

Hi, yes, I saw your answer. I had no time to try the upgrade up to now though.

See my comment above with the error stack.

Yes, App_Data has been cleared.

It has a problem with db though, not sure which table as the error isn't very specific.

I tried all suggested options from this post: https://our.umbraco.com/forum/templates-partial-views-and-macros/77037-invalid-column-name-controlid-when-i-try-to-restore-my-local-db-in-server-sql-server but nothing helped.

Sep 15, 2019 @ 13:35
    nickornotto

Adding the db user role "sysadmin" worked so I now upgraded the db in the test environment.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft