Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 1288 posts 3921 karma points c-trib
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 14:13
    Dan

User account/app pool

Hi,

I'm having a difficult time moving an Umbraco installation from one server to another.  I've eventually managed to transfer the database, and have overwritten a blank Umbraco installation which was installed for this domain on the new server (the new host installed a blank instance of Umbraco just to test the server could handle it okay) with the files from the old server.

I hit the site in a browser and get a security exception:

System.Security.SecurityException:
     Request for the permission of type 'System.Web.AspNetHostingPermission,
     System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, 
    PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

I found a forum thread about this, the solution for which was to "Check what user account your app pool is using. I had to switch mine to Network Services."

Question is, how do I do this in IIS7, Windows Web Server 2008R2?

Aug 04, 2010 @ 14:17
    Dan

Can't edit, but should have added...  How come the app pool would have been reset when all I've done is overwrite the website files/folders?  Is it due to the permissions set on those files/folders?

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 14:30
    Sascha Wolter

Hm, quite odd, the app pool shouldn't reset when you set permissions on files and folders. However maybe the initial blank setup on the server wasn't done by running the app pool as network service (although this is standard in IIS7 as opposed to IIS7.5), which means the necessary permissions would have been different than network service.

To check which account your app pool is using go to IIS manager -> application pools -> select your app pool, the click on advanced settings to the right (or right click and then advanced settings). In the popup look under Process Model -> Identity.

I am running my app pools under ApplicationPoolIdentity, which means I have to give IIS AppPools\[app-pool-name-for-website] permissions on the folders instead of network service.

Hope that helps,
    Sascha

Aug 04, 2010 @ 14:33
    Dan

I know that the original blank installation which I've copied on top of was done with Windows Platform Installer on the server, so maybe that accounts for it.  I've changed the app pool to use network service now, and it all seems good.  Thanks very much Sascha!

• Sascha Wolter 615 posts 1101 karma points
    Aug 04, 2010 @ 14:35
    Sascha Wolter

Sweet! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft