Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Werner van Niekerk 2 posts 22 karma points
    Aug 13, 2010 @ 14:51
    Werner van Niekerk

umbraco.webservices.documents.documentService error

I'm using Umbraco v4.5.1. I've estracted the build folder to my local PC and am trying to run the site with VS2010 on XP SP3.

I get the following error: Could not create type 'umbraco.webservices.documents.documentService'. in .\build\umbraco\webservices\api\DocumentService.asmx
     This is my first look at Umbraco, and I'm not sure how to proceed. Is there a walkthru?

• Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3259 karma points MVP c-trib
    Aug 14, 2010 @ 10:08
    Darren Ferguson

I'm not sure what you mean by "run the site with VS2010 on XP SP3" are you trying to build from source - because you also say "estracted (sic) the build folder to my local PC" which suggests you are using a binary build.

• Werner van Niekerk 2 posts 22 karma points
    Aug 16, 2010 @ 13:31
    Werner van Niekerk

Tx Darren, thats exactly what I was doing, got it sorted now :-)

• swc 7 posts 27 karma points
    Aug 16, 2010 @ 19:41
    swc

I am getting this same error message, and was wondering if one of you could clarify the solution?

I downloaded the binary, and am running it in IIS.  I try to pull up /umbraco/webservices/api/DocumentService.aspx and receive that error message.  I am attempting to pull up that address in order to add a service reference to a separate .Net app.

Thanks for any insight.

• swc 7 posts 27 karma points
    Aug 16, 2010 @ 21:46
    swc

Worked it out myself.  Binary distribution doesn't include the webservices.dll so this error is the result.  If you want webservice functionality, you must download source and compile.

Downloading the source, compiling, and copying the umbraco.webservices.dll into the bin folder of the binary distribution I had originally set up resolved the error.

• Colin Wiseman 53 posts 28 karma points
    Aug 27, 2010 @ 15:57
    Colin Wiseman

Hello.  I need to complain about Umbraco.  I used it once about a year or so ago, and at the time I felt it was a bit....what's the word...not right? but I was forced to use it.  Since then you've had a major release and a few minors.  And so I thought I would try Umbraco again.  And am still faced with misery!!  I downloaded the coded from the link provided in Twitter - which a few people may do.  I extracted the code to a folder, and opened the website in VS2010.  Hey presto, a bug!  Ok you forgot to add a file to the binary release.  But someone above has the fix - the fix being to download the whole source code of 101MB and for me to compile it.

Shouldn't Umbraco work straight out of the box?  No bugs.  No errors.  No needing to download extra things?  Open source CMS engines NEED to be out the box working, like WordPress (but that's in PHP *spit* :D).

Anyways giving this Umbraco thing a proper go again as I keep hearing it's the best .net CMS out there.

Cheers

Colin

• Dibar 92 posts 74 karma points
    Aug 27, 2010 @ 17:43
    Dibar

the file umbraco/webservices/api/DocumentService.asmx contains a typo, missing quotation marks. But it is true that even with this fix the site won't build.

Aug 27, 2010 @ 17:57
    Colin Wiseman

From this link:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/10504-Could-not-create-type-missing-code-behind-files

supposedly you are not meant to have umbraco running in Visual Studio?  And it should run, which it does, from a localhost URL.  But that's no good if I want to run through the code and start developing in Umbraco as the geek I am!

• santosh 8 posts 25 karma points
    Aug 31, 2010 @ 19:49
    santosh

I am not able to access the webservices because of the same error. Could any one help me out. I was able to do it for 4.0.2 versions but it seems the umbraco.webservices.dll is missing in the bin folder for versions of 4.5.x. Do I need to build the application and get that dll? any help is really appreciated.

Aug 31, 2010 @ 20:11
    Colin Wiseman

From the advice given above, if you read it, it says you need to download the full source code and compile it up.  But also if you check my link, it has been flagged that you are not meant to run the binaries in visual studio.  You can run it straight from the code in a web browser, and the code will take care of itself...but as I said, that's no good if you want to play with the code :(

Aug 31, 2010 @ 20:16
    santosh

Hi Colin, I hadn't compiled the code. I can see these asmx files while browsing the application directory in the browser. Unfortunately i am not able to access the webservices due to lack of umbraco.webservice.dll.

Darren can you help me out in this.

Aug 31, 2010 @ 20:50
    santosh

I did build the source code and deployed the umbraco.webservices.dll in the bin folder. Now it is working for me.

Aug 31, 2010 @ 21:07
    Colin Wiseman

Great :)  I think they were a bit silly missing that dll out.  Wonder why!

• kerio sp 12 posts 33 karma points
    Sep 18, 2010 @ 13:46
    kerio sp

Hi santosh, same trouble here  with .net 3.5 version (missing umbraco.webservices.dll), maybe you could attache this .dll (look a bit faster than compile again) or upload to a shared server?

Thanks in advance

Keriosp

Sep 18, 2010 @ 14:49
    santosh

We don't have a provision to attach a file to this message. May be I need to upload this to a shared server as you suggested. I will post the link soon after I do it.

• Luis 3 posts 32 karma points
    Sep 20, 2010 @ 04:11
    Luis

I also need the DLL i tried to compile from source but It seems that I cannot open the solution file with visual studio 2008. This Sux

Sep 20, 2010 @ 16:56
    kerio sp

Hi again, well anyway look like at umbraco.codeplex, there is an entry about this bud (missing umbraco.webservices.dll) and that for next realease 4.5.3 (last weel september) this and others errors will be resolved

thanks for yor time

Sep 20, 2010 @ 17:40
    Colin Wiseman

http://cdn2.elephantjournal.com/umbraco.webservices.rar

Download the webservices dll from that URL above.  Am not sure if it will work though as I compiled it in vs2010.

Colin

Sep 21, 2010 @ 08:33
    kerio sp

With this .dll it disappears that error, but it give another typo, at build time,  in another file. In my case i'll wait until next release,

thanks for your upload!

Sep 21, 2010 @ 13:43
    Colin Wiseman

Welcome.  But if the next release does not promise perfection in code out of the box - as in it will run in Visual Studio - then the death toll will ring for me and Umbraco.

• Greg 14 posts 34 karma points
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 19:36
    Greg

Why is the webservice DLL not included in the binary distribution? That seems daft!

• Njal 10 posts 31 karma points
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 11:53
    Njal

Downloading umbraco.webservices.dll fixed the problem.Nonetheless... Umbraco has/is going downhill.. we will not be using this CMS anymore for production environments. Bye bye umbraco, hello Webnodes! (http://www.webnodes.com/)

-Njal

• Michael Worrall 57 posts 82 karma points
    Nov 18, 2010 @ 17:14
    Michael Worrall

I'm been srtuggling for 3 days trying to get umbraco to build through visual studio.  I dont care what they say that you "shouldn't" build it through visual studio, if you want to use vs 2010's debug facility you dont have much choice!

Anyway, I downloaded the source, built as suggest, but I now get a different error - anyone got any suggestions:
    Error    1    Could not create type 'umbracoTags.webservice.tagService'.    d:\Documents\Websites\Papertree Digital\umbraco\webservices\tagService.asmx    1   

Thanks in advance!

• Greg 14 posts 34 karma points
    Nov 18, 2010 @ 17:17
    Greg

@Michael, Couldn't agree more!

• Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3259 karma points MVP c-trib
    Nov 18, 2010 @ 17:21
    Darren Ferguson

Njal - you'll be sorely missed after your 1 post (promoting another CMS)

• Njal 10 posts 31 karma points
    Nov 18, 2010 @ 17:43
    Njal

@Michael: Just delete this file. It's a webservice that you (most likely) don't need. It should compile and debug just fine afterwards. (Attach to process --> w3wp.exe )

Nov 18, 2010 @ 17:54
    Colin Wiseman

See this is the point am making about Umbraco.  They should not be releasing code where we as developers need to delete files cause you don't need them.  It should be a 1 stop shop like WordPress.  (PS am not saying WordPress is better than Umbraco, it's plainly terrible in the core code and if I could give you examples of how badly it's written I would.  Hmmm might blog about that!)

Anyways, come on folks at Umbraco, give us developers a download that will work first time in Visual Studio!

Nov 24, 2010 @ 13:41
    Michael Worrall

Agreed Colin!!! Umbraco, please give us a release that we don't have to "bodge" to get a site working in the most popular .NET IDE!

• David W. 159 posts 284 karma points c-trib
    Nov 26, 2010 @ 09:42
    David W.

Intresting this. Posting for notification purposes...

• Carsten Johannesen 35 posts 55 karma points
    Jan 05, 2011 @ 13:49
    Carsten Johannesen

followed the steps in this thread :-)

and got to having deleted umbraco\webservices\tagService.asmx file

now visual studio throws the next error: umbraco.presentation.umbraco.webservices.ultimatePickerAutoSuggest in file ultimatePickerAutoSuggest.asmx

I deleted this also...

and finally the solution compiled (using Visual Studio 2008)

• TimNape 12 posts 32 karma points
    Apr 05, 2011 @ 16:52
    TimNape

Solotion: Exclude all the files in the webservices folder - they refer to "code behind the file" that doesnot exists.

Worked for me. - good luck

• Anders Haahr 26 posts 31 karma points
    May 12, 2011 @ 12:50
    Anders Haahr

The references are still broken. That dll is still missing.

I do not agree with ppl who thinks that is does not matter wheter a website project should be able to build in Visual Studio. Releasing anything with compilation errors simply is against my professional standard.

I excluded all files in /umbraco/webservices/api and the /umbraco/webservices/tagService.asmx and  /umbraco/webservices/ultimatePickerAutoSuggest.asmx in order to make a successful build.

I think I did something like this the last time I made an Umbraco project a few years ago. Everything workd ok then and I expect the same to happen this time.

However I do not think opening the clean "binary project" as a website project in Visual Studio, and then it can't compile makes a good first impression of Umbraco. If any of the active Umbraco developers reads this, I suggest you either add the missing assembly or remove those 9 asmx'es - they really don't work anyway as it is now, newcomers becomes uncomforable because the clean project can't build and all serious developers will have to spend time figuring out what  is wrong.

Having to fix this build error as the first thing in order to work with Umbraco causes me personally to wonder what else is missing...

• aghy 129 posts 308 karma points
    May 12, 2011 @ 13:15
    aghy

Anders,

I've just had to use /umbraco/webservices/api/documentService

All I had to do to get it working was download the 4.5 release and get the umbraco.webservices.dll out of the bin directory and all works fine.

Ben

May 12, 2011 @ 13:22
    Michael Worrall

Anders, I agree entirely with you on this.  It's all well and good people saying you just have to get the dll from the 4.5 source release and pop it in the bin (which does work).  However when your new to Umbraco and Visual Studio it's difficult to figure that out, its just plain lazy not to include it in the general release.  I dont care that people say you shouldn't build the website in visual studio - I like doing that so I can step through my errors and i'm sure I'm not alone.

Come on Umbraco developers pull you fingers out and do it properly!

Mike

May 12, 2011 @ 14:24
    TimNape

@ Anders Haahr 

Some 5 hours later of wasted time I also figured out I had to remove the webservice files to compile.

But you have to include them again inorder to see any of the content trees in the backend.

Umbraco should realy do something about this

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    May 28, 2011 @ 19:29
    Craig100

Having just done the Umbraco Level 1 course and wanting to move on from WebMatrix to some proper work I hit the "Visual Studio" button and was delighted it opened up with my new Umbraco installation sitting there ready for use and futher development. I was disappointed it wouldn't build.  After reading this thread I'm ASTOUNDED that this is still the case.

This is exactly why I ditched Umbraco a couple of years ago when it had no documentation, lack of thought about the beginner. It's all very well saying you need to do this and that, but you have to find those instructions first, somewhere on the web. THIS IS SERIOUS. For goodness sake it's apparently easy enough to fix so FIX IT, otherwise you're just wasting everybody's time and I'm left wondering if my investment in training is going to be wasted money. What other nasties are just around the corner?

Maybe I should have gone with WordPress or Expression Engine.

May 28, 2011 @ 20:39
    Dibar

If Umbraco built successfully in Visual Studio or other IDEs, it would be a matter of using that development environment's publish features to keep local and deployed installations synced, and this would reduce or eliminate demand for the paid publishing component.

EDIT: Nevermind. Sometimes my speculation runs wild. I don't know what I'm talking about.

May 31, 2011 @ 09:12
    Anders Haahr

@TimNape: I have excluded those 9 asmx-files, and I believe I am not missing any functionality. Since the assemblies with the asmx's compiled code behind types is not part of the binary download (for Umbraco 4.7.0) then I do not understand what functionality you can possibly get by simply re-including the asmx-files. I have not tried it and I do not want to do it now, but I am sure requesting these files will cause the same exceptions as when building the project in VS.

@Dibar: You can get successful builds by either excluding the asmx-files that misses their inherited types, or you can add the missing assembly. Since we are dealing with a CMS, then doing this minor change (improvement) to the project will not help much on synching content.

First of all you can simply deploy your website project using FTP, and you can do this no matter if the project has errors or not. Using Visual Studio's publish feature will more or less do the same - it will prepare a bunch of files for publishing and then it will deploy them (using FTP in some cases).

The special thing with CMS is that content lives in a database and in many cases you need to get new or edited templates and document types from a development environment to the production environment, and in some cases you also need to get user generated nodes/content from the production environment to the development environment. This can get complicated and then good tools for this is nice to have.

Since web editors can also edit code files (.master, .css and more) in the web editor client, then some code files can also have never versions in the production environment than in the development environment ('can' is not the same as 'should'!! - editing code files though the Umbraco client is not a good practise imho).

Visual Studio does not come with native support for advanced synching of Umbraco files or databases no matter if the project can build or not ;)

@Craig100: Well, it seems that the ppl behind Umbraco does not think deploying a project that can't build is important. I think it is bad for the learning curve and worse for the first impression.

I think we need to remember we are dealing with open source here. It is completely free to use, and probably everyone can join in and participate in the development. I still think it is a great CMS since it is open source and free for use. Just remember that open source in itself is not assuring any quality or high standards.

May 31, 2011 @ 23:52
    Dibar

Thanks for explanation, points well taken!

Jun 01, 2011 @ 08:39
    TimNape

@Andres - with the webservice files excluded - The document tree in all sections of Umbraco don't display (Umbraco 4.7).

I have to include them as soon as I am done with working with the files in Visual studio or when I am running the project.

I read you can include the concerned assemblies from earlier Umbraco visions to avoid this pain.

Jun 02, 2011 @ 17:07
    Anders Haahr

@TimNape: Hmm. Maybe you have excluded more files than I have. Unless there's some feature in the Umbraco (web editor) client I am missing completely, then the only change when excluding these 9 files is that the project can build.

Seriously, the project can not build because the assembly with the code behind types are missing. This assembly does not show up when you re-include the files, so the 9 asmx files are useless until that assembly with the right types is in the bin.

Anyway there's another approach to working with the site in VS.

I prefer just to create a website project, because then one just have to unzip the Umbraco binary zip, then open VS, choose to open a website and then point to the siteroot. In the website approach every file below the siteroot is automatically part of the project and all assemblies in bin is automatically referenced.

The other approach is to create a web application project, unzip the Umbraco binary zip into the siteroot, and then only add the specific files one is adding to the website or existing files which are changed (mainly config files). In this way you get a light weight project that needs to "live on top of all the umbraco files". This approach worked great in the Visual Sourcesafe days. With this approach you don't have to worry whether 50% of the umbraco files causes build errors, because as long as they are not part of your web application project, they won't be built (hehe, but they of course still can cause build errors runtime). The great thing with this approach is that developers only need to be concerned with the files in the web app project - all the other files doesn't really matter (from the site developer's point of view), and when/if it is time to upgrade Umbraco, it is also pretty easy to get an overview of which (Umbraco native) files that has been changed. The worst thing is that it is important to save the original binary pack somewhere in the source control management, because the web application project alone does not work.

Jun 02, 2011 @ 17:43
    Michael Worrall

Good to see that the Umbraco developers care about fixing this issue, the thread has now been open for long enough now for at least a response other than "your not meant to do it that way"!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 01, 2011 @ 13:41
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I don't understand why this thread has been open for so long, I've been using Umbraco for years and there has never been a need to build the Umbraco website itself. Sure I have extra projects in Visual Studio that I need to build and drop the assemblies into Umbraco's bin folder, but they are seperate and shouldn't be created in the Umbraco website project. Have a look at this blog post on how to set up a dev environment:

http://cultiv.nl/blog/2009/6/1/easily-debug-your-custom-umbraco-user-controls-in-visual-studio/

Aug 01, 2011 @ 13:56
    Colin Wiseman

The reason is that most people don't now about that link.  If Umbraco told you this from the start people might go "oh ok, well I suppose" but most developers like me down load code, open up VS, hit build and start to walk through code - cause sometimes you don't know if it is Umbraco that is not working or your own code (most likely your own code but it's not always obvious).

But the essence of the complaints here is that Umbraco are handing out code that doesn't compile, thus for the layman non-Umbraco-ist, we would rightly assume Umbraco is broken?

• Lincoln Vu 8 posts 29 karma points
    Jul 10, 2012 @ 22:09
    Lincoln Vu

This simple bypass may help others like me

Solution - Right click solution > properties > configuration properties > configuration > uncheck the umbraco website from the debug & release compiler flags

Courtesy of Brendan Rice from http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/10504-Could-not-create-type-missing-code-behind-files

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft