Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Filip Lundby 128 posts 149 karma points
    Aug 17, 2010 @ 13:04
    Filip Lundby

Given key was not present in the dictionary and create dialog for packager does not match anything

I'm trying to upgrade to 4.5.1 on Windows 2008. I get the following error when i click a node in the Media-tree. Many have had the same issue but i cannot find a solution... Given-key-not-present-in-the-dictionary-error and The-given-key-was-not-present-in-the-dictionary-Media-Folders

I see that the error is caused by MultipleFileUpload package which i installed long ago but never really used ...

The given key was not present in the dictionary. 
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.
    Exception Details: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    Source Error:
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. 
    Stack Trace:
    [KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.]
       System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key) +4318751
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.controls.Factory.GetNewObject(Guid DataEditorId) +120
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.controls.Factory.DataType(Guid DataTypeId) +82
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.DataTypeDefinition.get_DataType() +195
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.DataTypeDefinition.GetByDataTypeId(Guid DataTypeId) +209
       noerd.Umb.DataTypes.multipleFileUpload.MultipleFileUploadDataType.get_DataEditor() +75
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl.addControlNew(Property p, TabPage tp, String Caption) +381
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl.CreateChildControls() +1429
       System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +182
       umbraco.controls.ContentControl.OnInit(EventArgs e) +127
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +133
       System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +277
       umbraco.cms.presentation.editMedia.OnInit(EventArgs e) +1270
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +133
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1954

So I went to the Packages node to uninstall the package. But the Packages node for some reason has no child nodes. Right clicking and chosing "Create" gives me this error (same as can't-create-packages-anymore)...

The create dialog for "packager" does not match anything defined in the "~/umbraco/config/create/UI.xml". This could mean an incorrectly installed package or a corrupt UI file 
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: The create dialog for "packager" does not match anything defined in the "~/umbraco/config/create/UI.xml". This could mean an incorrectly installed package or a corrupt UI file
    Source Error:
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. 
    Stack Trace:
    [ArgumentException: The create dialog for "packager" does not match anything defined in the "~/umbraco/config/create/UI.xml". This could mean an incorrectly installed package or a corrupt UI file]
       umbraco.cms.presentation.Create.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +730
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +25
       umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +74
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +71
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3048
    Aug 18, 2010 @ 08:47
    Filip Lundby

One possible solutions which did not work... Create-Package-throws-an-exception-in-Umbraco-45

Adding the xml to this file: /App_Data/packages/created/createdPackages.config

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <packages></packages>

... The file already contained the xml. Then agian - this files should contain more than this, right?

Aug 18, 2010 @ 12:25
    Filip Lundby

I have no time waiting for a fix. So for now I stick to umbraco 4.0.3 which seems to work :)

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Aug 18, 2010 @ 12:40
    Lee Kelleher

Hi skooter,

There must have been some issue when you upgraded to v4.5.  It's probably to do with permissions in the App_Data folder? But thats a side-point.

Check if you still have the XML config files in ~/data/packages/installed/installedPackages.config? (forget about the 'createdPackages' that's not what you want here).

If "installedPackages.config" contains multiple entries, then copy that across to "~/App_Data/packages/installed/installedPackages.config".

This will show you all your installed packages in the "Developer > Packages > Installed Packages" section (in the back-office).

Now for the original issue.  As far as I'm aware, MultipleFileUpload does not work in Umbraco v4.5. It's probably a minor issue, like the DLLs need to be recompiled against v4.5 ... but still, it doesn't work out of the box.

To fix your issue, (in v4.5), you'll need to remove the 'MultipleFileUpload' property from your 'Folder' media-type.

As for an alternative to MultipleFileUpload for v4.5 ... at the moment, I'm not sure ... maybe try the Desktop Media Uploader?

Cheers, Lee.

Aug 18, 2010 @ 13:16
    Filip Lundby

Hi Lee

Thansk for the reply.

I made three simultaneously install of 4.5.1. One of the three was an upgrade and two was fresh installs. I used this batch-file to set permissions: set umbraco folder permissions from command line

All three installs had a non-working Packages-section.

In the upgraded-site the file "/installedPackages.config" also looked like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <packages></packages>

... This must have been wrong sins my last upgrade - and i have no backup of this file.

Now that I've downgraded to 4.0.3 the Packages sections works but does not show previously installs - a fix would be great, but i can live with it.

As for MultipleFileUpload i don't need it right now - but thanks for the tip.

I'll try some of your suggestions when i get more time.

• Kjetil Barnung 3 posts 28 karma points
    Jul 19, 2011 @ 14:08
    Kjetil Barnung

I've had a similar error in umbraco 4.7 and the solution was to write some code to run for debugging purposes only, i made a simple usercontrol, a macro and put it on the frontpage.

The idea is to identify one or more datatypes that is failing to load correctly in order to delete that datatype from your umbraco instance.

DataTypeDefinition[] dtds = DataTypeDefinition.GetAll();
    foreach (DataTypeDefinition d in dtds) 

var name = d.Text; 
    var x = d.DataType; 

Tip: Use ctrl + . to resolve references in VS10.

When looping that code, set a breakpoint on the "var x = d.DataType" in visual studio, you can then get the name of the DataType that fails and remove that datatype from the developer section in your umbraco instance. In my case looping the DataTypeDefinitions went fine, but loading the DataType for some items failed. After removing the rouge datatypes my umbraco instance "fixed" itself, allowing me to install other packages and even reinstall the multiple file upload component that was complaining.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft