Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin Griffiths 826 posts 1269 karma points c-trib
    Aug 23, 2010 @ 14:38
    Martin Griffiths

Installing on Windows Server 2008 or R2

This is going to be a slightly loaded ramble, but after digging through the many forum posts i've not noted any real definitive installation procedure for the following scenario...

1. Umbraco 4.0.x (I'm assuming 4.5.x would have the same problems when combined with a pro license)
    2. Windows 2008 or R2
    3. 64 bit OS version with 8GB RAM usual raid configuration you'd expect from a dedicated ISP
    4. 64 bit app pool running in integrated pipeline mode
    5. Pro license with Courier, Contour and Concierge in use.

We have been testing our build using a 32 bit app pool in classic mode but it has been giving us serious problems with Contour. Please see topic  11663-Object-moved-here-error.

During our experiments in moving from classic to integrated mode and 32 bit to 64 bit we're relatively confident we've solved the Contour problem but to get there we had to jump through quite a few hoops before the build would run.

We think the main problem has been with dlls not being compiled to "any CPU". Our first encounter was with Courier v1.0. Upgrading to v1.2 solved this problem, but then we encountered it again with the bundled third party dll, DeployLX.Licensing.v3.dll. The only way to fix this was to download the latest DeployLX libraries and browse to the redistribution folder and find v4 which has been compiled for "any CPU". Replacing v3 with v4 brings our installation back to life!

Whilst I understand a 64 Bit Windows environment is still quite new developers and end users, I would've expected the DeployLX v4 dll to have made an appearance by now, especially when ISP offerings for Windows 2008 are becoming prevalent.

I'm more than happy to provide information to anyone intent on usng Windows 64 bit with a pro license, as there does seem to be a few gotcha's yet to be ironed out of the current versions and definitely more through testing on 64 bit Windows.

Please feel free to shoot me down, if there's something I have missed which would solve the issues outlined.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft