Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Jun 24, 2011 @ 17:35
    Daniel Bardi

Umbraco 5 CTP won't install due to access issue

1. Downloaded the CTP.
    2. Extracted/Copied files to clean IIS website.
    3. Created empty database for install
    4. Browsed to http://localhost/install

• This a screenshot of the result:

• Viewed source (chrome) and see the links to .js an .css... :

• ... when I try to browse to them directly.. the app forwards to /login.aspx which cannot be found:

I haven't modified anything... 

• Steen Tøttrup 191 posts 291 karma points c-trib
    Jun 25, 2011 @ 08:18
    Steen Tøttrup

Which version of the IIS are you using?

Which version of .NET have you set the site up with?

Do you have ASP.NET MVC 3 installed on the computer?

Classic or Managed Pipeline application for the site?

• Daniel Bardi 927 posts 2562 karma points
    Jun 25, 2011 @ 09:08
    Daniel Bardi

IIS 7.5

.Net 4.0

MVC 3 (installed with VS2010 SP1)

Managed Pipeline

the app runs, just the /Areas is protected.

• Lloyd Grose 3 posts 23 karma points
    Nov 14, 2011 @ 22:56
    Lloyd Grose

This is exactly what I get.  I can't progress any further.  Its very frustrating.

I've unblocked the zip file and copied directory into inetpub/wwwroot/

I've called the website umbraco and given the account IIS APPPOOL\ASP.NET v4.0 full control on the folder and website.

I'm runinng a Windows 2008R2 Server running IIS 7.5 MVC 3 installed with VS2010 SP1 App pool is NET 4 with Managed Pieline and Identity set to Integrated.

Identity Set to ApplicationPoolIdentity.  

I'm running Umbraco 5 Beta 1. Any help would be really appreciated,

Cheers

Lloyd

• Lloyd Grose 3 posts 23 karma points
    Nov 14, 2011 @ 23:10
    Lloyd Grose

As the above user stated for some reason the I had to give further permissions to the /area folder.  But finally moved forward!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 14, 2011 @ 23:26
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lloyd

When testing etc. it's always a good idea to give network service and iusr full permissions to the root folder containing Umbraco on the disk :)

/Jan

• lufutu 7 posts 27 karma points
    Nov 16, 2011 @ 22:09
    lufutu

I have same problem, i give full control to Network service and IUSR, it loaded but very slow and when come to step install database connection reset :(

May be i use win 7 ?

Nov 16, 2011 @ 22:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi lufutu

How did you try to install Umbraco? Manually or by using webmatrix for instance?

it's easier to point you in the right direction if you provide as much information as possible about how you tried to do it :)

/Jan

Nov 16, 2011 @ 23:37
    lufutu

HI Jan, i install also manually and webmatrix, i use win 7, iis 7.5, mvc3, .net 4.0

When i install umbraco 5, it take 5 minutes to load and sometime miss css or js, when i come to step 1 install databse browser notice webpage not avaible and "The connection to localhost was interrupted." I installed umbraco 4.7 before and everything seem fine.

I don't know why, source code or IIS :(

Thank

Nov 16, 2011 @ 23:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lufutu

I suppose you're installing umbraco 5 beta 1, right?

Are you installing on a MSSQL database? If so what happens if you try to select the CE SQL database instead? I've heard of people having some problems installing on MSSQL 2008 with the beta but I have not tried installing on MSSQL 2008 myself yet so I don't know if it's in fact a possible bug or because people are missing a setting somewhere.

/Jan

Nov 16, 2011 @ 23:57
    lufutu

Yes, i setup umbraco 5 beta 1 , but it cannot load step 1 to select sqlserver or ce sql, i mean page cannot load, it take 5 minute to load and display The connection to localhost was interrupted. I think have problem when load install umbraco 5 beacause when i setup umbraco 4.7 only spent about 5 seconds to load a page. Thank

Nov 17, 2011 @ 00:19
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lufutu

Hmm - did you go get the zip file from codeplex? If so have you made sure to "unblock" the zip file like described on this page? http://umbraco.codeplex.com/releases/view/76238

/Jan

• Anders Burla 2560 posts 8256 karma points
    Nov 17, 2011 @ 00:30
    Anders Burla

I did an install with sql2008, IIS7 on windows 7 64bit - and had no problems - just followed the guide. Unzipped with 7zip - added it as a website in the IIS - my hostname is umbraco5.local1. Added that to my hosts file. Gave Network Service "Modify" access to the website folder. App pool is running .NET 4 integrated. Did go to umbraco5.local/install/ and walked through the install process and installed on an SQL server 2008 express on my local machine. And that was it. Did you guys do exactly the same process?

Kind regards
    Anders

Nov 17, 2011 @ 00:46
    lufutu

I unzipped it with 7zip, i create a site on my IIS and use port:4788, i go to localhost:4788, firt time it display until i click let's get started but very slow, after that it say webpage not avaible 

Nov 17, 2011 @ 00:55
    Anders Burla

Could you try and make a record in your host file and have it run on a "domain" - just to see if has something to do with the localhost:port thing.

Nov 17, 2011 @ 01:00
    lufutu

Now it display Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 502 (Bad Gateway)

Grrr :|

Nov 17, 2011 @ 01:09
    Anders Burla

Did you add the host for the IIS website? And did you just point the domain at 127.0.0.1 in your host file?

• Chizzl 36 posts 107 karma points
    Nov 23, 2011 @ 13:21
    Chizzl

Same problem here... site loads like the screenshot in the first post (without styling), but no where to go from there... 

Manual install of beta 1 - I use win 7, iis 7.5, mvc3, .net 4.0, unblocked the zip, host file set, set the rights on the folder for IIS_USR and NETWORK SERVICE

• Joao Carlos 3 posts 24 karma points
    Dec 08, 2011 @ 13:52
    Joao Carlos

Same problem here...I was able to install without problem on Windows Server 2008 R2 VPS, BUT having the same issues on my local windows 7 Ultimate. Already tried nightly build, same problem (very slow, ofen resets, does not pass database install, sometimes does not even loads css).

Dec 08, 2011 @ 14:55
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Guys

I've learned some new stuff today so here are some more pointers

1) Do any of you have AVG antivirus installed? If so try disabling it

2) If you get a yellow screen complaining about that helpers are missing you should make sure that MVC 2 is installed as well.

Hope this could help some of you.

/Jan

Dec 08, 2011 @ 15:28
    Joao Carlos

I do have AVG but all I could disable was Firewall and Resident Shield...with no luck

Dec 08, 2011 @ 15:40
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Joao

If it's possible try to either restart the machine and if that does not work either try uninstalling (if possible). One of my colleagues had to remove AVG entirely to make it work.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Dec 08, 2011 @ 18:01
    Joao Carlos

Thanks Jan! Disabling firewall and Resident Shield didn't work, BUT, go to TOOLS>Advanced Setting (all the way to the bottom)>Temporarily Disable AV...and it works perfectly and super fast. BUT...once I turn AVG back on after install PROBLEMS ARE BACK. So it's eighter UMBRACO 5 or AVG, can't have both so far. Any ideas to make them work together?

Dec 08, 2011 @ 23:27
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Joao

Happy to hear you're on the right track. I'm not sure what it does require to make 'em work together but perhaps you could try installing another free software firewall?

/Jan

• Philip 59 posts 73 karma points
    Dec 10, 2011 @ 19:55
    Philip

I had the same excat same error and I uninstalled AVG and installed Avast and then it worked.

Maybe you could put it in the install instructions that there is an issue with AVG and Umbraco v5?

• Fredrik Sewén 39 posts 106 karma points
    Dec 11, 2011 @ 17:58
    Fredrik Sewén

I had the same error. Disabling AVG works. Hope this will be solved though. I like AVG (but not as much as Umbraco so AVG is uninstalled for now).

/Fredrik

• Kristian Ravnevand 94 posts 214 karma points
    Dec 29, 2011 @ 11:18
    Kristian Ravnevand

AVG problem for me to. Thanks for the pointer

• Tony Bolton 83 posts 109 karma points
    Jan 22, 2012 @ 23:58
    Tony Bolton

This is a concern for me - my VPS' use AVG across the board.  I'll contact them to see if they can shed any light on things and post back (don't hold too much hope though!!)

• Ed 1 post 22 karma points
    Feb 19, 2012 @ 01:34
    Ed

I had the same problem as the original poster had, but I don't know if the cause was the same.  My solution involved changing the Anonymous Authentication to use the Application Pool Identity instead of a specific user. 

Website -> Authentication -> Anonymouse Authentication (Enabled) -> Right Click 'Edit' -> Toggle radio button for 'Application pool identity'. 

That fixed everything up so the install page correctly displayed the CSS styles and images and allowed Umbraco v5 to install correctly.  I'm just posting this incase someone else runs into the same problem/cause and this info could prevent them from pulling out all of their hair.

• Hicham Khabbazy 10 posts 32 karma points
    Mar 13, 2012 @ 14:23
    Hicham Khabbazy

I had the same problem as the original poster had, but I don't know if the cause was the same.  My solution involved changing the Anonymous Authentication to use the Application Pool Identity instead of a specific user. 

Website -> Authentication -> Anonymouse Authentication (Enabled) -> Right Click 'Edit' -> Toggle radio button for 'Application pool identity'. 

That fixed everything up so the install page correctly displayed the CSS styles and images and allowed Umbraco v5 to install correctly.  I'm just posting this incase someone else runs into the same problem/cause and this info could prevent them from pulling out all of their hair.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMG OMG Ed! I'm almost going to cry from happiness. Thank you for posting this and saving my laptop from a plunge into the river.

Mar 31, 2012 @ 23:31
    Tony Bolton

I realise this is an old post and is based on the CTP release, but I've identified the cause of the AVG freeze after alot of persistence as it was also an issue in the latest release.  It isn't actually the anti-virus portion causing the problem - it turned out the LinkScanner plugin was causing the problem.

Just disabling the LinkScanner in Advanced Settings did the trick - turn off 'Enabled Search-Sheild', 'Enable Surf Shield', and under Online Shield disable 'Enable Online Shield'.  

Once you've done that, umbraco 5 won't freeze up anymore - at least, it works fine for me - and you can leave AVG on inc. the firewall.

HTH someone else!

• Nick Beaugié 28 posts 80 karma points
    Apr 15, 2012 @ 22:52
    Nick Beaugié

Tony, you hit the nail of my problem on the head!

I disabled AVG Link Scanner and it was able to get to the database installation step of the installer.

Apr 16, 2012 @ 14:23
    Tony Bolton

Hey Nick,

Glad it helped someone else - spent ages looking into it until I got the right settings!

Cheers,

Tony

• James Hildeman 92 posts 88 karma points
    Apr 18, 2012 @ 04:22
    James Hildeman

Ed - you rock the world!  I had the same issue and you just saved my night.  Thanks man!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft