Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• chicane 18 posts 38 karma points
    Aug 10, 2012 @ 23:36
    chicane

Why doesn't Umbraco recognize my SQL Server?!

I have a default, working instance of SQL Server 2008 R2 and during the Web Platform Installer Wizard, I continually get a "SQL Server (Not Installed)" in the drop down when it asked what database I want to use. Then in goes through and downloads and installs SQL Server 2008 R2....WHY!!?? It doesn't recogize my default instance and doesn't give me the option to point to my default instance, that is rediculous.

• chicane 18 posts 38 karma points
    Aug 11, 2012 @ 16:41
    chicane

-----------------------------

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Aug 14, 2012 @ 14:12
    Mark Bennett

I've had this - create a new DB in your SQL server and create an account that can login. Before running the umbraco install you will need to change the web.config to point to your newly created DB with the uname and pword you setup - I did advise someone else on the forum, i'll see if i can find the post.

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Aug 14, 2012 @ 14:25
    Mark Bennett

mmmm i found the post but it only really said you need to edit the connection string in the web.config to point to your newly created DB...

• Richard Terris 273 posts 715 karma points
    Aug 15, 2012 @ 14:37
    Richard Terris

I'd hightly recommend NOT using the web platform installer.

Download the latest Umbraco build from Codeplex and unzip it to somewhere on your PC.

Create a db for the site and create a user for it - don't use "sa"

Create a new empty website in Visual Studio

Copy the "Build" folder from your local copy of Umbraco and paste it into the root directory of your new website.

Set up a new website in IIS with the correct permissions and set the physical location to be the directory that has your website and Umbraco

Run the project in Visual Studio. When you get to the part where the installer asks you for your database details, you can enter your SQL instance name (if it's not a named instance it'll be .\SQLEXPRESS) and your username and password

That should be you up and running

• Sandro 45 posts 118 karma points c-trib
    Aug 15, 2012 @ 15:33
    Sandro

This looks like a shortcoming of Web Platform Installer 4.0. If I'm not mistaken, in Version 3 was an option called like "Remote SQL Server", which led to a text box where I was able to enter my local SQL Server instance '(local)'

I have to disagree with Richard about using Web PI. When I don't have special requirements I really like it, because it makes the installation nearly painless and it automatically sets the correct ACLs.

Aug 15, 2012 @ 15:44
    Richard Terris

By all means use it if you're comfortable with it, but not only does it take ages, you limit the control you have in IIS.

Probably because of the amount of Umbraco sites I build, I prefer having a repository or base folder as a starting point, so I can copy it to a new site, create the site in in IIS and get up in running in minutes

Essentially the platform installer is setting all this up for you, but I'd say it's aimed at beginners and as soon as you get beyond that you start to find WPI pretty cumbersome in my opinion

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Aug 17, 2012 @ 22:14
    Craig100

Just trying to install 4.8.0 via Web Matrix and Web PI.  Have set up a MSSQL DB. During Umbraco Install section 3-Database: At point 1 I select "I already have a blank SQL Server", then I select "Microsoft SQL Server" at point 2 then at point 3 it says "Connection details: Please fill out the connection information for your database." but gives nowhere to add them. This is just plain silly. Who's  designed this section and left this out? It's supposed to be easy to set up.

So how do I progress from this point or do I have to get into the back of the code which really negates the whole install process?  I think this is exactly what Pete Duncanson's session at CG12 was all about, wasted time.

Aug 17, 2012 @ 23:10
    Craig100

To further report my installation experience....

At section 3- Database point 1 I decided to select "I need help". There is a link called "Open video instructions". It goes to http://umbraco.org/getting-started which is a page called "Getting started" which begins, "You've installed Umbraco and the basic Simple website".  Where are the instructions for the database connection? Does no-one in HQ try this stuff out, it's absolutely vital to the growth of Umbraco that the basics work and work well. 

I'm getting rather frustrated, as you can tell. All I wanted to do tonight was try out the 3 ecommerce packages to work out which one would be suitable for a site I need to do an estimate for by tomorrow. So far, after 3 hours I've done absolutely zilch, this is no good! Maybe HQ should stop the rapid re-issuing of minor points with esoteric additions and just get the basics done right.

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Aug 18, 2012 @ 01:11
    Paul Sterling

Hi Craig -

I believe the installer thinks you have selected the SqlCe option and has set the connection string as such.  If you can open the root web.config file and look at the value for umbracoDbDSN.  If there is anything there, you can remove it.  Then simply reload the DB config page in the installer and the input boxes for the connection string should render agian.  

This is actually not an issue with the umbraco installer but a change made to the WebPI installer...as you can imagine keeping in sync with the various installation methods is challenging - though I think the core team does a pretty good job of making it easy.  In any case, this is something we've accomodated with 4.8.1 and later.

I'm sure its frustrating as you just want it to work.

-Paul

Aug 18, 2012 @ 02:04
    Craig100

Thank  you Paul,

The root web.config line you mentioned was:

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="server=|DataDirectory|\Umbraco.sdf;database=;user id=;password=" />

removed the server value and restarted installation and all proceeded correctly with fields for database config appearing.

I'm unsure where MS's responsibility ends and Umbraco's starts as far as the installation process is concerned with the Web PI.  I'd assumed that once the download had completed and Web Matrix showed a URL to run the web site that it was then up to Umbraco to lead you through the set up process.  Another thing I noted is that you don't know what version is being installed until it's installed.  It would be nice to know.

Thanks for your help. I hope these UX issues will be addressed.

Craig

Aug 18, 2012 @ 14:38
    Craig100

So, today I upgraded WebMatrix to V2 which means I'm now using Web PI 4. Back to square one with the database!!!!  God this is getting SOoooo frustrating.  I have a running install of SQL Server 2008 R2, have added a blank database with a user that has appropriate permissions. Go to create a new web site via Web PI and now I get a dropdown asking what type of database I want to use. I select "SQL Server (Installed)" and am then asked for the sa password!!!  So, enter that, hit next and get "Error The specified password for the user account 'sa' is not valid, or failed to connect to the database server." This is worse than last nights charade.

If I had a pearl handled revolver I'd shoot myself. I'm trying to get work done and Umbraco/MS is just getting in the way.

Any advice, including what ammunition to load the revolver with, gratefully accepted.

Craig

Aug 18, 2012 @ 14:43
    Richard Terris

Craig

If you see my previous reply on page 1 of this thread - I think you'd be able to do this much easier NOT using webmatrix or WPI.

Richard

Aug 18, 2012 @ 14:55
    Craig100

It appears that the sa account is disabled by default when installed by WebMatrix.  Enabling it allowed installation to proceed.

No lethal force required (just yet).

Hope this helps someone else.

Craig

• Jeremy M White 4 posts 24 karma points
    Aug 27, 2012 @ 03:08
    Jeremy M White

In Web Platform Installer 4.0, it appears as though the Remote Database option is disabled by default.  You can re-enable it using the following steps:

1. Click on the "Options" button prior to clicking "Install"
    2. Towards the end, check the option "Remote Database support"
    3. Put in the name of the database server (or "." or "localhost" for local)
    Now, Remote SQL Server becomes an option in the dropdown menu when going through the Umbraco prerequisites.
    Hope this helps,
    Jeremy
  • Jim Prior 2 posts 23 karma points
    Nov 15, 2012 @ 16:45
    Jim Prior

I too was getting the error

The specified password for the user account 'sa' is not valid, or failed to connect to the database server.

Thought I would add my experience to help someone maybe?

On my machine I had both SQLEXPRESS (SQL Server CE) and SQL Server 2008 R2 installed.

When installing from WebMatrix, the dropdown list was showing both SQL servers for selection, and when selecting my SQL Server 2008 R2 to install the umbraco database into, it was giving me the error message about sa not being valid / failing to connect.

I discovered after playing around that despite selecting SQL Server 2008 R2, it was actually connecting to SQL Server CE when performing the sa password check, because when I entered the sa password for my SQLEXPRESS CE server, it was then able to connect properly.

Great, so it went ahead, but then I found that it had created the umbraco database in the SQLEXPRESS server, NOT in the SQL Server 2008 R2 server which I had chosen from the dropdown!

How dumb is that!

I agree with Richard that setting up manually rather than letting Webmatrix or Web Platform Installer do it is easier in the long run.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft