Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Adam 51 posts 81 karma points
    Apr 20, 2013 @ 16:58
    Adam

Please Help. Can't Login to UI as Admin or User

Hi All,

I have no idea why but all of a sudden I cannot login to the UI using the admin details. As far as I am aware I have not made any changes that would cause this. I don't know what to do. Is there a way to reset the password outside of the UI? I have complete FTP access so am able to update database and config files if necessary.

Please please help as I need to make some urgent updates.

The site is running Umbraco 4.7 with SQL Server 2008.

Thanks!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 20, 2013 @ 18:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Adam

Are you by any chance connected to a VPN connection? If so that's probably the reason.

I know that there is an issue in newer versions, which will be fixed in 4.11.7 if I remember correctly where this could happen.

1: If the domain contains underscores (I don't know who on earth would setup domains with this, however some people do and of course it should be handled)

2: There is an issue if you have been playing around with the dates on your machine, then a cookie is messed up and you can't login.

Regarding issue 2 I've experienced this myself recently where I did a made a site where I needed to make sure that some things happened on a certain date.

If it's none of the reasons listed above you should be able to do the following.

1. In the web.config file change password="hashed" to "clear" both places where it's set to hash.

2: In the database you should open up the user table and write a new password for the affected account in clear text.

3: Check that you're able to login

4: If you can login make sure to set the web.config back to using hashed password

I don't think I missed anything above however if I did I'm certain others will correct me :) - You could also have a look at the suggestions from this post http://our.umbraco.org/forum/using/ui-questions/4790-ouch-forgot-admin-password-how-to-reset

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Apr 21, 2013 @ 10:06
    Charles Afford

Is your connection string still correct?  I.E correct database name / user

• Adam 51 posts 81 karma points
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 14:35
    Adam

Thanks Jan!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: