Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dave 4 posts 24 karma points
    Nov 29, 2013 @ 10:09
    Dave

installing umbraco FROM a mac

Hello all,

We have been working with wordpress for a few years now and are looking to expand into Umbraco. We have hosting space on a windows server which I'm lead to believe meets the requirements of Umbraco (IIS etc..) but I have an issue in that as a company we are almost exclusively Mac based.

I'm not really sure how the Umbraco interface works when it comes to installation but would I be right in thinking that I NEED a windows installation to install umbraco onto the webserver or is it as simple as upoading the package contents onto the server?

Any help rr advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Nov 29, 2013 @ 10:23
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Dave and welcome to our!

Try to have a look at Claus Jensen´s advice to work with Umbraco from a Mac

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/14753-Umbraco-for-Mac-OS-X-104

When you have setup Umbraco, and get it up and running you can access the Umbraco backend by is url: http://www.yourdomain.com/umbraco

Hope my answer can help you.

/Dennis

Nov 29, 2013 @ 10:47
    Dave

Hi Dennis, thanks for the link. I had read that but wasn't sure on the prcess of option three (find an ASP.NET host, deploy umbraco etc...). I'm assuming that this option is reserved to hosting situations where thehost company offers a 'one click' solution to installing CMS?.. Which isn't an option for us. :(

I have VMware Fusion on a Mac at home running windows XP, so will use that coupled with the Web Platform Installer, to get Umbraco installed.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Nov 29, 2013 @ 12:06
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Dave,

You don´t need a host company that´s offers a 'one click' solution to installing CMS. I am using UnoEuro myself in my sparetime, and the way I did it is by following:

1. First I download the Umbraco version that I will run on the domain.

2. Then I uploaded the files from the downloaded zip file to my domain by using an FTP program.

3. After that I create a SQL database for the website, It could be Microsoft SQL Server Express or Microsoft SQL or Server or SQL CE, and you should also be able to use MySQL.(For the most I use the SQL CE for spartime project, but at work a been working on solution with Microsoft SQL Server.)

4. When you have setup up the database and created a dabase login, then hit the URL of your site,and the install wizard should appears.

If you want to setup a local instance of Umbraco, on your local machine I think this guide could be a good starting point.

I hope this helps you.

/Dennis

Nov 29, 2013 @ 18:12
    Dave

Fab!! Thank you very much! That's exactly the information I needed. 

Jan 29, 2014 @ 11:16
    Dave

This is quite a thread revival but umbraco was kind of put on the back burner while I worked on other projects... Anyway....

I came back to installing Umbraco yesterday, got the files uploaded to the server but when I tried to run the installer throught a browser, I got this error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error
       Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'targetFramework'. Note that attribute names are case-sensitive.

Source Error:

Line 88:     </httpHandlers>
    Line 89:
    Line 90:     <compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="false" batch="false" targetFramework="4.5" >      
    Line 91:       <buildProviders>
    Line 92:         <add extension=".cshtml" type="umbraco.MacroEngines.RazorBuildProvider, umbraco.MacroEngines"/>

Source File:  c:\inetpub\wwwroot\xxdomainnamexx\web.config    Line:  90

I've emailed the company we have hosting with but 24 hours later I've had no response. Can anyone tell me what it means and how I rectify it?

• Andrew Tregonning 19 posts 41 karma points
    Jan 31, 2014 @ 01:36
    Andrew Tregonning

Hi

It sounds like the application pool on your server is set up to use .NET 2 instead of .NET 4.

Cheers,
    Andrew 

• Paul 1 post 21 karma points
    Mar 13, 2015 @ 13:06
    Paul

I'm also mac only and would like to install Umbraco to try it out and learn how it works. I can't find any documentation readily.

It sounds potentially starightforward if it's a case of FTPing up as previosuly mentioned -  but i get the errors below and can't get to the wizard.

I think my server and .net version is correct, can anyone advise? thanks

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="Off"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft