Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Barry Fogarty 493 posts 1129 karma points
    Jan 10, 2014 @ 13:01
    Barry Fogarty

Upgrading from 4.7.2 to 6.1.6 - live DB upgrade

I spent a few hours following Lee Kelleher's recommended upgrade path on my local version to upgrade from v4.7.2 to v6.1.6 - so far so good.  However, I am unable to upgrade the actual live database as 

1. It is 2GB+ - the transfer process is going to take too long
    2. My versions of SQL are all higher than that on the server, so I do not think they will be able to restore from an upgraded backup I provide.

At this stage what I would like to do is upload all the upgraded files, merge the live web.config and launch the upgrade from the live site (after backing up site and DB of course).  If I do this, will all the required DB changes take place, from 4.7 to 6.1.6?  Is this a recommended approach - any gotchas?  Alternatively, where can I get hold of the the manual SQL upgrade scripts so I can execute them one after another?  I'd like to avoid the whole step-by-step upgrade process on live - surely it is unneccessary to repeat this.

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jan 10, 2014 @ 14:05
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Barry,

In theory, the database upgrades will be taken care of with the v6.x code/DLLs.

So you could upload all your locally modified/merged files/configs to the live site and it would perform the upgrade - although the upgrade script might only trigger if the umbracoConfigurationStatus appSetting is the original value ("4.7.2").

Of course, like you said - make backups, etc ... it feels a bit cowboy, but it should work.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    - Lee

• Barry Fogarty 493 posts 1129 karma points
    Jan 10, 2014 @ 17:08
    Barry Fogarty

Cheers Lee.  I can report that the upgrade process ran fine, with a couple of gotchas:

1. I got the following error when the DB upgrade step was running:  The database configuration failed with the following message: 'DF_cmsContentType_masterContentType' is not a constraint. Could not drop constraint. This issue is documented here, and the proposed solution of renaming the constraint worked.  Would be good to know why the contstraints were renamed in the first place.  (and whether it could be an issue going forward)
    2. I needed to reset member-protected nodes
    3. I had a custom datatype based on a hacked version of the uComponents Related Link picker.  In my updated version, my datatype has reverted to use the uComponents-Legacy Related Links property editor, rather than my custom control.  Any ideas on how to remake my control as a custom v6 property editor?  They are very trivial changes - just custom captions really,  and it just shows 1 link - maybe even a manual DB update might sort it?  Any suggestions appreciated.
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft