Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Carlos 338 posts 472 karma points
    Sep 02, 2014 @ 21:44
    Carlos

Multisite install and hostnames in IIS

We are attempting our first mutli site install.

What would be the set up? We have IIS installed and set up the domains in the Bindings.

site1.mysite.com
    site2.mysite.com
    site3.mysite.com

When we do the install, do we just need to go to one of the URLs and do the install process?

Are we just chosing what is our "master" domain ?  mysite.com is already a main site using a separate Umbraco install, we are using subdomains to point to our new URL's.

Does the multisite install use the same DataBase?  

The info is greatly appreciated.

• Jan Skovgaard 11257 posts 23497 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 02, 2014 @ 21:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Carlos

Concerns around setting up multisites is usually something I deal with after I have installed Umbraco itself.

But you can install Umbraco from any of the domains you have setup I suppose.

The important thing is to setup the hostname for each site when you have them setup in Umbraco.

When doing multiple sites in a single Umbraco instance they're running the same database. If you need seperate databases you should consider creating a unique installation pr. site.

Remember to set useDomainPrefixes to true in the /config/umbracoSettings.config so you make sure it's not possible to access a page from site2.mysite.com when entering the page url on site1.mysite.com

I hope this makes sense and answers your question.

Cheers, Jan

• Carlos 338 posts 472 karma points
    Sep 02, 2014 @ 21:57
    Carlos

@Jan,

That makes total sense. I appreciate the info and the quick response.  

Carlos

• Jan Skovgaard 11257 posts 23497 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 03, 2014 @ 09:06
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Carlos

Happy to help - Please let us know if you experience any issues or have new questions.

/Jan

• Nikhil 35 posts 115 karma points
    Feb 17, 2020 @ 17:42
    Nikhil

When you setup multiple sites in Umbraco v8 I have understood that I need to create sub domains in the Umbraco v8 UI.

In IIS on a Azure VM I have:

1) C:\inetpub\wwwroot

2) I have understood that in the IIS UI we would need to create different sites.

3) What are the folder locations for the physical files?

C:\inetpub\wwwroot

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\subdomain1

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\subdomain2

Or are the files stored in a different drive and folder?

Now, Azure gives me one domain address for my public IP: xyz.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com

How do I browse to subdomain1.xyz.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com? How would I make this work?

• Kevin Jump 1753 posts 11262 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Feb 17, 2020 @ 17:53
    Kevin Jump

Hi,

If you have multiple sites inside Umbraco 8 you do not need multiple folders (everything goes into one site at c:\inetpub\wwwroot)

e.g.

enter image description here

You define the hostname for each site, in the 'Culture and Hostnames' options of a site (when you right click on its name)

this will tell Umbraco which site is which.

in azure, you need to then add the domains to the custom domains section of the web app

enter image description here you will need to add custom DNS entries to do this bit - the azure docs should walk you through that.

this tells Azure that this one site is hosting all domains (this is analgous to the bindings in IIS)

• Nikhil 35 posts 115 karma points
    Feb 17, 2020 @ 18:00
    Nikhil

I am running Umbraco v8 in a Azure VM. I can't see custom domains fields in the VM options. The VM has a public IP and a domain name assigned in Azure.

The Azure docs are totally unclear when explaining how to get sub domains and your own domain working with your website.

Please clarify. I am sure this will help a lot of people with the same queries.

• Kevin Jump 1753 posts 11262 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Feb 17, 2020 @ 18:11
    Kevin Jump

I think (I don't use Azure VMs much haven't touched on in a while)

When you have a VM you point the domains to the IP address of the VM (via DNS A or CNAME record for the machine is probably a better option).

Then in IIS you add the bindings to the website so that the one site will serve all sites.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft