Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• TKH 13 posts 32 karma points
    Mar 13, 2010 @ 01:13
    TKH

Any Updates on Umbraco and Mono?

Hello,

Have seen this old thread, http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/2922-Umbraco-and-Mono-Can-it-be-done , but does anyone have any recent info on getting Umbraco and Mono to work together? 

Thanks!

TKH

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Mar 13, 2010 @ 09:27
    jaygreasley

Hi there,

I dob't think much has been done recently.

There were two reasons for looking into running on Mono.

Firstly - the cost of hosting. Mono on Linux is a cheaper platform. With v4.1 and medium trust support this is all but irrelevant (20 sites or more on GoDaddy for $10/month)

Secondly - running on a full open source stack.

So depending on your reasons you may be in luck :-)

hth

Jay

• Simon Justesen 436 posts 203 karma points
    Mar 13, 2010 @ 10:15
    Simon Justesen

Per (Plough Hansen) wrote this on twitter a while ago:
    woo got #umbraco running natively on osx + mysql with the new mono 2.4.3 build, minor install quirks by still its awesomeness++
    10:36 PM Aug 17th, 2009 via Seesmic 

I *think* Niels (Hartvig) mentioned that they were aiming for mono compatibility in umbraco 4.1, but I can't find the forum post/twitter-update, so it might be wishful thinking on my part ;)

• Max Edwards 26 posts 50 karma points
    Mar 14, 2010 @ 14:52
    Max Edwards

"(20 sites or more on GoDaddy for $10/month)"

$10 a month each or for all 20?

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Mar 14, 2010 @ 16:53
    jaygreasley

unimited domains, 25 MySQL db's http://www.godaddy.com/Hosting/web-hosting.aspx?ci=8971#details

for around $7.

I don't use godaddy so can't recommend and wonder what performance would be like.

so with v4.1 with medium trust and mysql support it can be very cheap

• Jukka-Pekka Keisala 90 posts 226 karma points
    Mar 14, 2010 @ 17:35
    Jukka-Pekka Keisala

I have a feeling that mono support will not happen anytime soon. Unless someone in community takes iniative. My guess (and hope) is that Core team is now focusing on version 5.

Would be cool though, but just cool... :)

• Anders Haahr 26 posts 31 karma points
    May 23, 2011 @ 11:07
    Anders Haahr

Umbraco is also used in scenarios where hosting on own servers are necessary, and there are scenarios where some cheap 3rd party hosting provider simply do not have enough features. In short, Umbraco is also used in large organizations and by governmental institutions that simply can't use godaddy. And there's political reasons too, by which I mean some customers simply won't use proprietary OS'es. 

I am glad to see thar Per (Plough Hansen) has done it, because I have a customer who has tasked me to look into it :)

Personally I am happy with everything MS. I've been working with their products professionally since the mid '90'ties and I would like to keep doing that, but I have to admit that I would like for my country to look into and choose the cheapest possible IT solutions for all public/governmental projects. I'd rather have the government to spend money on kindergardens and schools rather than MS windows and MS SQL, if running Linux and mysql is cheaper in the long run.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft