Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ed Davison 19 posts 48 karma points
    Nov 03, 2011 @ 15:51
    Ed Davison

back office property pages not loading

Hey - I love umbraco, but today I went into a dev build (4.5.2) to do some work and found that when inside the back office UI / content section, the property editor pages that let me configure content items takes ages (60 secs + etc..) to load each time or they do not load at all.  I just get the loading animation bar.  I have noticed too that sometime now the content tree is also not loading in a normal timeframe.

help - I can't continue my work as it takes soooo long just to bring up a page so that I can edit it's content.

i have a pro license on this dev box and can use concierge if that helps.  the server is doing nothing but this site at the moment.  Front-end shows no issues at all and pages are quick to load.

have recycled IIS and it's not made any difference

much love in advance

Ed.

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Nov 03, 2011 @ 16:56
    Connie DeCinko

Wrong section.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Nov 03, 2011 @ 17:54
    Tom Fulton

Hi Ed,

I've heard some reports that having a lot of icons (FamFamFam icons installed?) can slow down the document type editor, because it's attempting to load every single one of the images in the background for the dropdown.  You might try removing unused ones and seeing if that helps speed things up.

-Tom

Nov 03, 2011 @ 18:04
    Ed Davison

Hi Tom, yeah I hear you.  Unfortunately i've not added any icons to it, fam fam or otherwise.  It might also be worth noting it's not the RTE that loads as the default tab either.

thanks anyway

Ed.

Nov 03, 2011 @ 18:07
    Ed Davison

could it be an sql performance issue? can i test this somehow?

Nov 03, 2011 @ 18:10
    Ed Davison

I'm also gettng this from the error log - a repeated issue

what does tinymce3tinymceCompress.aspx

do???

At /umbraco/plugins/tinymce3/tinymce3tinymceCompress.aspx?rnd=b6c16b93-d35a-4718-8d22-6a14d15bfbc4&module=gzipmodule&themes=umbraco&plugins=contextmenu,table,spellchecker,umbracomacro,paste,inlinepopups,umbracocss,media,advlink,umbracoimg,noneditable&languages=en (Referred by: http://mywebsite.co.uk/umbraco/editContent.aspx?id=1123): System.Web.HttpException: The remote host closed the connection. The error code is 0x800703E3.
    at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.RaiseCommunicationError(Int32 result, Boolean throwOnDisconnect)
    at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.ExplicitFlush()
    at System.Web.HttpResponse.Flush(Boolean finalFlush)
    at System.Web.HttpResponse.Flush()
    at System.Web.HttpWriter.WriteFromStream(Byte[] data, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
    at System.Web.HttpResponseStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
    at System.IO.Compression.DeflateStream.InternalWrite(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count, Boolean isAsync)
    at System.IO.Compression.DeflateStream.Write(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
    at System.IO.Compression.GZipStream.Write(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
    at umbraco.presentation.plugins.tinymce3.GzipCompressor.StreamFromTo(Stream in_stream, Stream out_stream, Int32 buff_size, CloseMode mode)
    at umbraco.presentation.plugins.tinymce3.GzipCompressor.Compress(Stream to_stream)
    at umbraco.presentation.plugins.tinymce3.GzipModule.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
    at umbraco.presentation.plugins.tinymce3.tinymce3tinymceCompress.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Nov 03, 2011 @ 20:47
    Tom Fulton

Ah, sorry, I thought you meant the actual DocType editor in the Settings area.  Does it only happen on pages that have an RTE?  Regarding your RTE error, check out this thread.  Not sure how you can test your SQL performance.  You could also try running Fiddler to help see where the hangups might be (may or may not reveal anything).

-Tom

Nov 04, 2011 @ 10:11
    Ed Davison

thanks for your help Tom - it's very much appreciated regardless

Feb 16, 2012 @ 11:46
    Ed Davison

see last item below for the real fix - change your router!

Just to close this issue off for anyone else having the same issue.

after repeated calls with BT (fibre broadband provider) i was told that the issue was because 'my broadband was - too fast!'  and that the only option available to me was to tweak the MTU and size of packets running through my router.

so it's not an umbraco problem and there is basically nothing i can do about it :(

Ed.

• ianhoughton 281 posts 605 karma points c-trib
    Feb 27, 2012 @ 21:43
    ianhoughton

Hi Ed, I'm also getting this issue and its driving me mad as I'm struggling to work on sites in the office. After numerous checks:

1) I get the issue on our BT Business broadband in the office.

2) I don't get the issue when using BT Infinity at home (which is faster !!).

3) I don't get the issue when connecting via mobile internet.

4) I've tried disabling the Windows firewal and the router firewall. I've also put my laptop in the DMZ on the router but still no look.

The issue only happens on pages with a RTE and making sure the tab with the RTE is not first does not fix it.

What did you fix to get round the issue ?

Feb 28, 2012 @ 17:48
    Ed Davison

Hey Ian

Really annoying I know and i've not been able to fix it - i've been switching to a re3gular broadband line to work on Umbraco - hardly ideal.

BT tried to be helpful once i got through to a tech but the issue is regarding their fibre modems i guess.

sorry

Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:10
    Ed Davison

Hey Ian - good news on this issue.  After much (many months) of putting up with this rubbish I had another reason to contact BT.  Basically I was experiencing drop-outs on another service and after months of repeatedly asking for a new router with no response I got a little cheeky and turned off the router telling tech support that all the lights were on.  So this morning I finally received my new router (bizHub3) and hey presto - the problems with umbraco RTE load have magically vanished. 

You are not going mad, it is a hardware problem, change the BT router and the problem goes away.

Have a good day

Ed.

Mar 20, 2012 @ 23:52
    ianhoughton

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the update. What's the model code of the new BT router you got. We've only just had BT broadband installed a few weeks ago, so not sure if we've got the latest router.

It's gettting to the point where I'm looking at buying a 3rd party router to replace the BT one to get round the issue. I just now have to tell my client that he needs to do the same...

Cheers Ian

• Essy 74 posts 96 karma points
    Mar 22, 2012 @ 20:03
    Essy

This is *not* a broadband issue. I have the same problem in a newly installed version of  umbraco v 4.7.1.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.4393.24044)  but no problem at all in umbraco v 4.7.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.4281.20201)

Mar 22, 2012 @ 23:43
    ianhoughton

Apart from the BIN folder, what else would I need to replace to go back from 4.7.1.1 to 4.7.1 ?

• Essy 74 posts 96 karma points
    Mar 23, 2012 @ 08:57
    Essy

I wish I knew! 4.7.1.0 doesn't seem to be in Codeplex any more.

Mar 23, 2012 @ 10:08
    Ed Davison

Hello - my issue was certainly connection based.  We were effected by multiple servers, multiple different versions of umbraco (mostly 4.5 and 4.7), and fully tested on many different machines, browser, etc.. it was a totaly nightmare and it has all come down to an issue with the router.

The current (working version) is a BT Business Hub version 3.  The broken one was a 2Wire Gateway 2701HGV-C

I'm not saying the router model has an inherent fault, i'm just saying is that our router was faulty and now it's fixed, our problems were as detailed above and now they are gone.

have a great day!

Mar 23, 2012 @ 10:23
    ianhoughton

Mine has got to be the same issue. I've tried:

1) On client site using 4.7.1.1 on BT Business Broadband - slow to load

2) On client site using 4.7.1.1 on 3G phone connection - no issue

3) In my office on BT Business Broadband - slow to load

4) In my office on 3G - no issue

5) At home using BT Infinity - no issue

Ed, my broadband in the office was only installed in the last 4 weeks, but they supplied the 2Wire Gateway router. It looks like I'm going to have to give them a call....

Mar 23, 2012 @ 12:04
    Ed Davison

Hey Ian,

Don't take no for an answer.  They tried loads of excuses not to send a replacement, even said it was because their BBand was too fast! - classic!

We are in London on the BT fibre network with 10Mbits up / 40 Mbits down and it's now working like a dream.

Hope you get it resolved

Ed.

• Andy 11 posts 31 karma points
    May 02, 2012 @ 10:57
    Andy

I just went through this process with Essy's version of the problem. 

Apologies for the image sizes if they are huge in your browser. My edits don't seem to be taking.

Simple version: 
    This is a BT business hub 3. It doesn't have the problem.

This is a BT business hub from 2 wire (it says 2WIRE on the grill on the sides). It has the problem.

The front line support people at BT don't know anything about this problem and my first few efforts came to nothing because the person at the other end of the phone was a novice (he didn't believe that URLs without www at the beginning existed). I gave up, took several deep breaths, counted to 100 slowly and phoned back later. The second guy still didn't understand the technical details of the problem but agreed to send me a new business hub (they call it a bizhub3). This arrived by post within 2 working days after that. It fixed the problem.

More Technical:
    BT have an offline support team (email business dot support at btbusinessoffice dot com). They know their stuff but can be quite slow to answer. I sent them this thread's URL and my test URL below. Their initial suggestion was to try different MTU settings on the hub (maximum packet size?). That didn't have any effect. They then passed it to their router expert who agreed about upgrading to a bizhub3.

If you need a test for the problem, I extracted the problem URL below (obviously, insert your own site's host name at the start). If you go to this URL in Chrome (with the Chrome developer tools watching the network) and hit ctrl-f5 a couple of times you will see the behaviour. Roughly every second request will hang or go very, very slowly after a few kb are transferred. If you cancel the request and leave it for a couple of minutes the next request goes through without a problem.

/umbraco/plugins/tinymce3/tinymce3tinymceCompress.aspx?rnd=20eaa85d-fd08-4159-bf9b-9a17a633d942&module=gzipmodule&themes=umbraco&plugins=contextmenu,umbracoimg,paste,inlinepopups,table,spellchecker,advlink,media,noneditable,umbracocss,umbracomacro&languages=en 

I had a go at it with wireshark at the client and server end as well but that doesn't give anything obvious other than lots of retried packets on the second request.

Reading around the subject suggests that it is a problem with modern browsers sending multiple requests down the same keep-alive connection to the server. The 2wire hub isn't keeping the connection open properly so packets timeout, the browser resends the requests (down the same messed up connection) and so on. Unfortunately, it isn't that the connection is closed prematurely so traffic is still getting through but in a messed up way (incorrect packet order numbers maybe) and so the browser doesn't give up and retry with a new connection.

Hope this helps.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft