Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• gabri 14 posts 24 karma points
    Jul 18, 2009 @ 10:41
    gabri

User permissions on template level

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to create a "columnist" user: a user that can only create pages based on a specific template. The obvious way seems setting user permissions on a template level, but I don't see a way to do that.

The less obvious way seems to be writing a special "column creator" template that uses the API to add the "column" page - but that feels like an unnecessary complicated solution.

Anyone who knows an elegant way to do this?

Thanks,
    Gabri

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Jul 18, 2009 @ 10:53
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Hi Gabri,

The way I would do it:

You have a document-type called Column which has a corresponding template. You allow this document-type to be created under a container document-type Columns.

You can then set the node that holds all the columns as start-node for that specific user. That way, when the user logs in, he automatically gets in the right node (doesn't see the upper nodes) and he only gets to create new nodes that are allowed there (Column)

I hope I make sense here, if not, just ask and I'll try to explain more.

Peter

• Chris Desborough 3 posts 24 karma points
    Jun 03, 2013 @ 23:48
    Chris Desborough

Hi Peter,

I've been asked to provide a proof of concept with what you've described. I'm an Umbraco newby and would like futher explanation and step by step instructions if possible. I've included the original text from the ticket I submitted to Umbraco below.

Hope you can help out,

Regards Chris

-----------------------------------

My original ticket:

We presently have multiple separate Umbraco websites with very similiar functionality and content. Can we create a single Umbraco installation and use some sort of login controls to expose different content to each different entity.

So, for example, when one user logs in, they should be able to see everything about their own content and perhaps shared resources (e.g. templates, images, files, folders, etc.), and no more.

We are looking at running multiple websites on a single Umbraco installation. This comes down to whether we can “divide” the responsibility cleanly and nicely inside one Umbraco installation.

So, what we would like to find out is: whether Umbraco allows control of authorisation down to the granularity we are after.

---------------------------------------

Reponse from Paul Sterling:

You can set this up with user/group permissions for content and media but the model is not extended to templates and other items in the Settings section. Some users have created a custom tree that loads only items related to the currently logged in user, but this is not something built into the core and would depend on your specific requirements and level of desire to create a custom implementation. There is some discussion around various approaches to this requirement in the forums and you may wish to continue the discussion there. Here's one example: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/templating/templates-and-document-types/3021-User-permissions-on-template-level

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft