Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andreas Pfanner 196 posts 314 karma points
    Sep 22, 2014 @ 18:23
    Andreas Pfanner

Working with images

Hi,

I would like to give editors the ability to create image sliders/carousel inside dynamically of Rich Text content. Is there any macro for Umbraco 7 which provides such functionality? Another requirement is "enlarge image" functionality, so editors can place images inside RTE which can be enlarged to full size by clicking using a lightbox or so. How do you solve such requirements?

All existing image related macros seem to be very outdated, so I'm a little confused about how doing that in Umbraco 7.

Any suggestions?

Kind Regards Andreas

• Alex Skrypnyk 6148 posts 24077 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Sep 22, 2014 @ 19:50
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Andreas,

You can't create image slider inside Rich Text. For enlarge you can just width param to the url like : '/media/test.jpg&width=50' and ImageProcessor will resize your image.

http://adaodeveloper.blogspot.com/2014/04/imageprocessor-with-umbraco-v7.html

For created a lot of images per one node you can use 'Extended Media Picker' datatype.

Thanks

Sep 23, 2014 @ 10:28
    Andreas Pfanner

Hi Alex,

thanks for your input.

Isn't it possible to create a macro that allows to select a media folder (as parameter) and renders the images of this folder as slider/carousel? That would be easy for an editor to integrate. I guess there isn't such a package for Umbraco 7 yet?

The imageprocessor way works, but it is too complex for editors to do it. I need a fully automatic solution, so the editor should only select the desired image, the rest should be generated automatically. I think it's also the only way to create a custom macro for that, isn't it?

Best Regards Andreas

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 5x admin c-trib
    Sep 23, 2014 @ 12:09
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

Something like this is possible by adding a macro to the RTE, but I'm not sure if that's the best way. We don't even let editors insert images in the RTE anymore. They need to select those with the media picker and than we render the selected image for them. If you want some images between 2 RTE's you could do that with Archetype. More info here: http://blog.imulus.com/tom-fulton/building-inline-complex-content-in-umbraco-with-archetype

Jeroen

Sep 23, 2014 @ 12:42
    Andreas Pfanner

Hi Jeroen,

cool, thanks for that, looks very promising! I will try that approach.

Kind Regards Andreas

Oct 01, 2014 @ 09:34
    Andreas Pfanner

Hi again,

I've tried to implement the Archetype approach by adding a fieldset "Image Gallery" with a field "Multiple Media Picker" (umbraco 7 default). So I can create an inline slider gallery in any content page by selecting the desired images. My requirement is also to define a text for each selected image. Is there a recommended approach for doing so? Should I change the "Image Gallery" fieldset to a nested Archetype which defines a field Mediapicker (single select) and a text field? It's not so comfortable, since every image must be added separately.

Is there a better way?

Best Regards Andreas

Oct 01, 2014 @ 09:44
    Jeroen Breuer

For now I don't think there is a better way then the Archetype solution. If you want to change the start node per media picker have a look at the Hybrid Framework.

Jeroen

Oct 01, 2014 @ 10:23
    Andreas Pfanner

Hi Jeroen,

I don't need different start node, thanks. Did you ever create a gallery using Archetype WITH a text for each image?

Andreas

Oct 01, 2014 @ 10:30
    Jeroen Breuer

Yes I created something like that with ArcheType. Just found this topic which might also help: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/55295-Extended-Media-Picker-with-link-to-Media

Jeroen

Oct 01, 2014 @ 12:33
    Andreas Pfanner

Hi Jeroen,

I can't figure out how the Extended Media Picker can help with with that concern. It also doesn't allow to specify a text for each image after selecting, if multi selection is enabled. May the only way be to create a nested Archetype (MediaPicker, Text) without multi-select?

Oct 01, 2014 @ 12:55
    Jeroen Breuer

Sorry I thought that the content title was part of the media picker. This topic shows how I use Archetype for a Slider, but the idea is the same: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/53983-Using-Image-Cropper-with-Media-Picker-instead-of-File-Upload#comment190338

Jeroen

Oct 01, 2014 @ 14:17
    Andreas Pfanner

Hi Jeroen,

yes, thats exactly what I thought about (nested archetype), but then the editor have to select each image separately (multi picker is not possible then). Right?

Best Regards Andreas

Oct 01, 2014 @ 14:19
    Jeroen Breuer

That's right. It's a bit harder to use, but you do have the option of adding more fields.

Jeroen

Oct 01, 2014 @ 16:10
    Andreas Pfanner

Hi Jeroen,

okay, as I thought.. I will probably create two image gallery archetypes (simple and advanced with additional properties). On the simple type you can use the multiple media picker to add multiple images very quickly. Only if you need additional data like caption for each image you can use the advanced type and specify the additional data by image.

I think its still a comfortable option for editors.

Thanks for your input!

Kind regards Andreas

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft