Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Joseph Timmer 1 post 21 karma points
    Jan 21, 2015 @ 16:07
    Joseph Timmer

Develop Locally, Deploy Through Azure

I started working with Umbraco about a week ago, and I have been enjoying it a lot. I spent a couple hours searching for an answer to my question yesterday but with no luck. I apologize if this has been asked before as I feel there might be something basic I am not understanding.

I start the project with an empty asp.net mvc 4 project in VS13. I immediately install Umbraco CMS 7.2.1 with Nuget. Then I build and run locally. It takes me to the Umbraco setup screen where I customize my install and set up with an Azure database. I do a blank install, and it takes me to the create a user page. Once this is set up, I publish to Azure from VS13, and I have to set a couple references to 'Copy Local: True' and two web configs to 'Build Acion: None'. After this debugging, my site works live on Azure, and I have been doing developement on my live website.

The reason I started doing it this way is because when I develop through the back office locally, the content of my templates doesn't get saved in my live website, but the document types and content does get saved. I am trying to understand why this works as my local developement and live Azure website are both connected to the same database and seem to be talking about certain things. I know this proabbly isn't good practice, but I was trying to get things working initially. Any help would be greatly appreicated. Thanks!

Note: I did see this but it didn't quite answer my questions. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft