Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Markus Johansson 1512 posts 4242 karma points
    15 days ago
    Markus Johansson

Discussion about tabs

Hi friends!

I've played around with the current alpha of Umbraco V8 and I must say that it looks really good, love the progress!

One thing that me an my co-workers have been trying to "settle" with is the new way of presenting "Tabs" in the Content-section. Here's a node with two tabs "Grid Content" and "Content":

enter image description here

The "Tabs" are now stacked in one long page, I've heard that one of the reasons for this is an upcoming "side by side"-editing feature to be able to edit two variants side by side. That makes sense.

But I'm still not 100% sold on this UI design so I would just like to open a discussion around this. Would someone argue that a doc type has to many properties if it has 4-5 tabs? How do you guys work with tabs? Are we the only ones that would miss the them?

I'm also thinking that the layout could be configurable? Maybe with some switch on the document type? (Render with Tabs: True/False)?

• jeffrey.schoemaker@perplex.nl 278 posts 1066 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    1 week ago
    jeffrey.schoemaker@perplex.nl

Hi Markus,

thanks for raising this point and I also have some serious doubts how this will work on our websites. We sometimes just have some doc-types with a lot of tabs and properties, and I think it can become a mess/unclear quite fast.

But I didn't attempt to spin up v8 really serious and I don't know in which phase the design implementation is currently... So I don't want to bring in my thoughts too early on things that haven't been published yet.

Jeffrey

• Marc Love 246 posts 609 karma points
    1 week ago
    Marc Love

Hi Guys,

I am also not completely sold on the accordion idea over tabs. My issue is that if on first load of a content node you only see the first open accordion you dont get a quick over view of all the tabs you are going to be working with, i.e SEO, Settings, Content etc.

With the accordion layout you wont see all of the sections you will be working with so dont get a quick overview or insight into everything that is involved in setting the content node up.

Cheers,

Marc

• Dan Diplo 1333 posts 4936 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    1 week ago
    Dan Diplo

Good topic for discussing! I've not used v8 enough in anger or with clients to get a feel for what is going to work best, but I can see a few pros and cons already:

Accordion Pros

• Doesn't suffer from tab overflow, especially on smaller screens (ie. when you have more tabs than screenspace and they wrap around)
    • Works better for "side by side" editing

Accordion Cons

• Harder to see an overview of what sections a document type is composed of
    • Could result in more vertical scrolling to get to content

Couple of thoughts:

Maybe if all the Accordion panels where collapsed by default this would solve the "overview" problem (but at the expense of more clicks required to start editing).

Maybe we could have links that mimicked the tabs at the top, but anchors down to the Accordion item (which would open it)?

1 week ago
    Marc Love

I know people hate change and then once they get used to the change its all good again. I just feel that tabs work, why change to accordions...

• Marc Goodson 650 posts 4078 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    1 week ago
    Marc Goodson

The interesting thing to consider here is the role of Content Apps...

And the different journeys that editors take when they interact with content

eg Creating Content vs Editing Content vs Comparing Content etc etc

If a standard content page might have on average 5 tabs? (yeah I've seen more...)

Then think how many of those properties on those tabs, are regularly updated for the content item, and how many of them are there for 'niche' functionalities...

So I pretty much always have a 'Page Settings' tab. that contains all the usual umbracoUrlName, umbracoInternalRedirect etc properties, at least 95% of the time these are ignored for a content item, but they are there, because every now and then its really useful on a node to be able to redirect or rename the slug, I provide them to the editor without really thinking... but come V8 I'm thinking these kind of properties are more suitable to a content app... or at least that is my understanding of what content apps might provide...

The SEO tab.... again all those SEO settings are they part of the content?

When I think about the regularly updates properties, for me they are usually spread across two tabs 'Main Content' and 'Related Content' usually picked - and the order of the properties reflecting how they fit into the editors mental model of the page, is the key.

Recently I've taken a more atomic approach, to organise smaller clumps of properties, across doc types, with compositions, eg no property is ever set on a document type directly, only on a composition, it's made me think alot more about when and where properties are combined... I think it's meant a less cluttered editing experience, although I'm not sure exactly why.

so I'm interested to see if V8 and content apps, will enable us to move of the 'meta' properties into more obvious content app sections, leaving the content properties with a better flow for creation, and comparison...

... however for 'editing' existing content 'journeys', the tabs probably get you to your place of update more quickly, I don't like trying to find things on accordions (remembering the old document type editor) ... but interesting to see how they are presented on first load, (eg all closed up) or whether there would be 'jump links'

I suspect in some journeys, for some content, the accordion single page of properties will win over the tabs, and for other types of content and updates, the tabs will feel better...

• Anders Brohäll 285 posts 546 karma points
    1 week ago
    Anders Brohäll

I would also argue that the new menu based solution for sections demands expensive real estate. About 90% of our clients use laptops in their daily work. About none of them has their Taskbar on the left, as Shannon had on his CG18 presentation ;). That said, their 16:9 or 19:10 resolutions are wider, and freeing up height over width is crucial!

• Dave Woestenborghs 2989 posts 9487 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    1 week ago
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi,

Personally I don't care if it are tabs or accordions. It's just a way of grouping properties in the UI.

And I don't think editors will care as well. They just want to their job... edit content

What is more important is that you as a developer group this properties logically.

What we tend to do is group properties in a tab according to their functionality (eg. Content, SEO settings, Navigation Settings)

And then order the tabs on the editing frequency...So navigation settings and seo settings often are the last tabs.)

The first tab contains only the properties that are changed frequently eg. page title, content (grid or rte), ...

So in that way an editor can start editing immediatly when they open a item without changing tabs.

It would be nice in V8 to mark a tab as "Content App" for the properties that are not edited frequently. Like Marc already suggested as well.

But if I understand correctly the purpose of content apps is to have easy integration of third party data.

Dave

• Matt Brailsford 1888 posts 9319 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    1 week ago
    Matt Brailsford

My knee jerk reaction would be to agree that accordions doesn't feel as user friendly as the tabs. That said, it would be good to get some HQ input if possible to know / understand the challenges that led to this decision.

Without knowing that, I don't think we can suggest viable alternatives as we just don't have all the information.

• Kenn Jacobsen 127 posts 756 karma points c-trib
    1 week ago
    Kenn Jacobsen

Perhaps some kind of accordion navigation could be added to let editors jump directly to the desired section for editing? I dunno, just thinking out loud here. My main concern would definitively be editors getting lost on a mile long page of properties.

Sitecore had accordion style editing last time I checked (maybe still has, it's been a while) and that quickly became a bit of a nightmare to navigate. And yes, I know it's not fair to compare the two. Just saying :)

• Lee Kelleher 3800 posts 14052 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    1 week ago
    Lee Kelleher

I've got to admit, when I first saw that tabs had gone in v8, my gut reaction was people ain't gonna be happy about this! Like others are saying on here, let's wait & see what HQ say, to justify the rational.

After reading the first few replies on this thread, I took a look at some of our own recent Umbraco implementations, to see how we are currently using tabs ... and it turns out to be pretty much as Marc outlines above.

Of course, there are variations for specific page types, but overall, we've got a definite divide between "content" that is specific to a page/doctype ... and configuration/settings of that page/URL.

e.g. the actual thing and then things about the actual thing.

... and this is where I see Content Apps fitting in. Of course, we know very little about them at the moment... and can't wait to hear more!

1 week ago
    Markus Johansson

I guess that some of our solutions might "over use" the tabs but we try to put all the content and settings that's related to a page on that content node. Ie generic "push/list"-texts, CRM-settings for leadforms, SEO-information, menu-overrides etc.

This is how one of our sites look, each tab have everything from 3 to 10 different properties.

• Tobias Klika 87 posts 479 karma points
    1 week ago
    Tobias Klika

A possible solution would be to combine the tab navigation from V7 with the accordion from v8, as Kenn Jacobsen proposed.

The accordion would still exist, but we would get an overview of the contents with the tabs on top and could scroll to each section easily by clicking a tab item.

The problem here is that it wouldn't play too nice with the Content/Info tabs...

• Niels Hartvig 1926 posts 2329 karma points admin hq c-trib
    1 week ago
    Niels Hartvig

Great points - high five for all the input. There's reasoning behind the madness - whether it's great and whether we hit a home run is too early to say.

First, a bit of background. Over the last couple of years we've seen two trends:

1. Managing websites is beyond just editing content. We've seen various hacks to accommodate this via either adding menu items to the Actions menu, creating property editors that don't edit content at all but acts as placeholders for other functionality, dashboards and custom sections. We wanted a solution that made managing beyond editing as friendly as editing content. That's why we're introducing "Content Apps" with v8.

2. Pages become more complex. Combined with how v7 allowed more flexible property editors, this has opened up a lot of new editing experiences that required fewer properties but more space and clearer navigation of what you're editing. That's why we've been working on "Infinite Editing" for v8 (which requires more horizontal screen real estate - we need further testing, but could potentially compensate for this by minimizing/collapsing the top navigation).

Both of these concepts means that we needed to completely re-think the overall grid system of the Umbraco back office (as in navigation, panels, headers, etc).

We've tried what Tobias Klika did in the screenshot above (high five for the great example, btw), but it steals too much screen real estate and it also becomes unclear what the priorities in the UX (tabs and "content apps" compete for focus).

In the end, we've concluded that tabs in the back office are slightly overrated. When implemented well, they definitely help giving an overview but they can also give a false promise when done less well (especially in larger projects and when compositions are overused).

When you've used v8 for a while, it's also surprisingly nice that you just scroll down the content tab and in the end, save or publish - no jumping back and forward between tabs that scream with validation errors.

The biggest UX issue right now with the tabs being removed is to ensure fast navigation between the field groups and an overview of the groups. We'll have a couple of ideas to test including local navigation when clicking a group header as well as navigation to the different groups when you click "Content" at the top.

Hope this brings more insight. Tabs definitely has its place and was a great navigation pattern when sites were more simple and it was all about editing content. And no doubt that for some cases this will be a step back. However, I'm strongly convinced that for the majority of sites now and even more going forward, this is a small tax for an otherwise huge step forward.

/n

1 week ago
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Niels,

Thanks for the insights...one question remains unanswered for me.

Can we have properties of a doctype in a content app ? eg..all SEO related stuff, navigation settings etc...

Than the content editing area is really focused on managing content instead of settings.

Dave

1 week ago
    Niels Hartvig

No.

And I also think it's important for UX consistency that it's clear where you edit content and where you manage content.

1 week ago
    Niels Hartvig

In 2018 what is "SEO" anyway?

I could see parts of navigation go into a more dedicated area, though (and also be less of magic strings and a more consistent way to handle urls, navigation, etc). But too early to change too many things and we need to learn more about how what we've done so far works in the wild.

1 week ago
    Marc Love

Hi Niels,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but are content apps designed purely for displaying information or can they be used as an area to manage specific types of content.

With SEO the example would be meta titles and descriptions. Could this live in a content app or is this regarded as content as well?

Cheers,

Marc

1 week ago
    Niels Hartvig

Content Apps are not for editing content and is not a placeholder for content properties.

1 week ago
    Marc Love

Okay cool, I really like the idea of Content Apps, maybe the name needs a rethink though as I think the name is causing confusion.

1 week ago
    Markus Johansson

Thanks for sharing the progress around this Niels! It's always interesting to get insight in to why stuff are built in a certain way.

As far as I understand "Content Apps" might be used for something like an integrated Google Analytics-view for showing stats for just this page, a view that render some external SEO-audit or what ever. But it will not be a place to edit content right? The aim here being to not to be forced to implement a "Property Editors" just to render a "content aware" angular-view.

While I do agree with your points about error messages on multiple tabs and love the idea of "Infinite Editing" I still think that it's really important to find a way to navigate fast to a "Tab"/"Field Group". Ie if you have a Grid in the first Field Group and then some page-specific settings further down, you don't want the editor to scroll forever to come down to these settings.

If the solution is good old tabs or something else is really secondary. I also raised the idea of Tabs being a configuration-option on the Content Type - that would give us as implementors of the website the option to choose what fits best in different scenarios.

I guess I'm just scared =D I've seen some Wordpress implementations with lots of different controls and inputs in a long accordion and for me the Tabs in Umbraco is a lot better, more structured approach and provide a way to focus on "parts" of the content that I'm editing.

1 week ago
    Niels Hartvig

@Markus

Correct, that "Content Apps" (name still working title) is not for editing content.

The most important thing in UX is consistency, thus a toggle for whether to show tabs or not something to strive for - it would be a symptom that what we have doesn't work.

• Chris Houston 516 posts 917 karma points admin c-trib
    4 days ago
    Chris Houston

Hi All,

I have started to look at V8 this evening and this is also the one area that has surprised me the most about the chance of UI.

The built in support for multi-lingual sites in v8 looks great, definitely #hi5yr for building this into the core.

Over the last 20 years I have built a LOT of website, however the number of multi-lingual sites is probably around 10, as it happens, I am currently building a bilingual site for a client.

The site I am currently building has a complex design for its homepage, it can logically be broken down into 8 sections ( this excludes the navigation & footer that are defined elsewhere )

The page also has 3 additional tabs for:

• SEO - Meta data / Schema.org config ( possibly )
    • Social Media ( Think Graph Data / Twitter Card Config etc )
    • Page Properties ( customising the Navigation Name, Page Name etc )

So in this current scenario, with logical groupings as far as the editor is concerned, we will end up with 11 tabs. It might seem a lot, however the page is reasonably complex and requires a lot of editable settings.

Before anyone suggests it, the site design is as far from a "grid" as you could get so using the Grid editor would not work for us.

My gut feeling is if the Accordion is now the way forward for Umbraco, there will need to be some way to allow editors to quickly see and navigate between the sections.

On pages like the one I just described, I think it's not going to be a great UX with a lot of vertical scrolling to find the content you need to edit, but for smaller pages I can see it could work well.

Like a couple of others have mentioned, it would be good to somehow separate the "page content" from the "page configuration", even if that was just some kind of visual difference in the accordion.

On the majority of sites, I would guess most pages will have properties that once set are never changed, so maybe being able to set the accordion default for each section ( i.e. open or close ) could work quite nicely?

Definitely something to discuss more and to test with some real world complex configurations.

Just some thoughts, I look forward to seeing how this pans out.

Cheers,

Chris

4 days ago
    Niels Hartvig

Great feedback, Chris. This is exactly the type of information we need.

Any chance you could e-mail me more information about how the homepage is setup so we can use this in our work (and get a better understanding of more "real world" projects)?

Best,

Niels...

• Anders Brohäll 285 posts 546 karma points
    3 days ago
    Anders Brohäll

I would second that. We need to figure out a way of hiding editable settings from editable content. On our sites we usually build recursive properties, a page gets its property values from the closest set value in the structure. Especially awesome when working with huge themed structural sites - I would say that's Umbracos big USP compared to other CMS'es. That said, we do need to put page specific settings somewhere. Not necessarily in tabs, but i would say not in an accordion.

3 days ago
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hmmm...seems the Last reply from me and Niels are gone...so posting again.

I know Content Apps are for 3rd party data integration. But for me it would be the best place to manage doctype properties for page specific settings. Eg...you could have "Theming" content app that let's you control all doctype properties related to that...I can thinkg of many scenario's that would fit in there.

Dave

3 days ago
    Niels Hartvig

I might be misunderstanding you, but to me, it sounds like they would just be tabs with an icon.

3 days ago
    Niels Hartvig

#h5yr Anders!

This is exactly the information/feedback we need, ie. a conversation about what people are using tabs for and why there could be a stronger need to group information (instead of tabs vs accordion which ends up in a moving cheese/bikeshed discussion).

Right now we have Content and Info. It could make sense to look into if other default categories could be needed. This would also help with guidance and consistency.

3 days ago
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hmm...something strange is going on....2nd time I posted a reply and that it's gone after refreshing

Yep you are correct that it will be a "Tab" with a icon, placed where the content apps go.

So you can free up the accordeon for properties that change regularly.

We often end up with at least 7 or 8 tabs because we group properties by functionality. Like the screen shot below

But SEO and opengraph are almost never changed by editors. It would be nice not having them in the accordeon, so that area is only focussed on changing page content.

3 days ago
    Niels Hartvig

Yes, there seems to be a bug (caching) when you post to a signalr loaded comment (I'll create an issue and we'll look into it next week).

3 days ago
    Dave Woestenborghs

Maybe I should have posted a different screenshot because this an overview with a customized list view.

But on "detail" pages the first tab would be the "Page Blocks" tab where they manage the grid content for this website. All others tabs are sorted by editing frequency.

So with this kind of separation in properties this would mean a lot of scrolling using the accordeon.

Maybe a toggable quick navigation for the accordeon would be nice as well. So you would only enable it on doctypes with a lot of "tabs".

Like I mentioned before I don't care if are tabs or accordeons..it's just moving the cheese. But what I do want is a good editor experience.

Dave

• Chris Houston 516 posts 917 karma points admin c-trib
    3 days ago
    Chris Houston

Hi Niels,

I will check will my client and get back to you, I am sure it will be fine. Ideally I will be able to just share access to the Umbraco Cloud dev site :)

I'll get back to you ( probably on Monday )

Cheers, Chris

• Dan Diplo 1333 posts 4936 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    3 days ago
    Dan Diplo

I would echo some of the points made here:

In real life sites it is often necessary to have many tabs to logically divide content up. I get the impression the Core team think we should have less tabs, but this just results in a single tab containing unrelated content all thrown together. I think it's much better to have a single tab contain logically related content than have fewer tabs containing more content. This applies equally for accordions, if not more so.

The use of compositions actually makes it more likely you will have more tabs. In most cases it makes most sense to have a composition have it's own tab - this is partly because trying to merge tab content together (when two compositions have the same tab name and order) can result in random results. Plus it just seems neater to have one tab apply to one set of related content and not mix this up.

Also, sites evolve over time - you might initially start with a few tabs but then the client requests something new and it grows.

Also, as mentioned, a lot of sites will contain various "settings" that are required but less frequently accessed. This can be stuff like SEO settings, navigation settings (hide page, prevent deletion checkbox) and also, on the home page, site level settings. We tend to use the home page for any site level settings because this allows easy recursive access to them and also it works better when you have a multi-site set-up (ie. a multilingual site with four home pages).

I do fear that simple swapping tabs for an accordion is going to create a real usability problem for editors. Currently tabs are "sticky" so you always can quickly swap between them. This isn't the case in an accordion, where if you want to access the last tab you have to scroll down.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft