Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alexander Croner 71 posts 282 karma points
    Sep 17, 2018 @ 08:18
    Alexander Croner

Upgrading Umbraco 7 to 8?

I tried looking around for any information connected to this question:

Is it gonna be possible to upgrade Umbraco 7 to 8? Or is it gonna be like 6->7, complete rebuild?

Best Regards, Alex

• Matthew Wise 271 posts 1373 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Sep 17, 2018 @ 08:45
    Matthew Wise

Hi Alex,

v8 will be a migration task similar to 6 - 7.

Matt

• Alexander Croner 71 posts 282 karma points
    Sep 17, 2018 @ 09:04
    Alexander Croner

Thanks!

• Jose Marcenaro 11 posts 112 karma points c-trib
    Sep 21, 2018 @ 10:20
    Jose Marcenaro

Hi Matthew I didn't experience the migration from 6 to 7, so sorry for the dumb question: What about the Document Types and Content?

Will there be a migration process, or at least a tool (uSync-ish) to pick the existing document type definitions and recreate them on the v8 database?

Thanks!

• Matthew Wise 271 posts 1373 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Sep 21, 2018 @ 10:27
    Matthew Wise

Hi Jose,

V8 should migrate the database to the new schema.

Matt

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Sep 17, 2018 @ 12:06
    Dan Diplo

From what I understand I think it's not going to be a straight migration - you're going to have to rewrite a lot of your code, too.

How much will depend a lot on how you have created your site - if you use ModelBuilder then maybe your views won't change much, but if you use stuff like Model.Content.GetPropertyValue("") then that will need rewriting. Same goes for if you have your own controllers, as Umbraco 8 will use DI rather than singletons like UmbracoContext etc. They may leave legacy stubs for these to help migrate, but ultimately the architecture is fundamentally changing in a lot of places.

Likewise, a lot of 3rd party packages are unlikely to work until they get updated, too.

So I don't expect it to be a straightforward task. Last I heard Neils was saying there wasn't any immediate automatic upgrade path, but things might have changed. Only core team can answer this definitely as it's a work in progress.

• Dave Clinton 31 posts 106 karma points
    Feb 26, 2019 @ 14:12
    Dave Clinton

This post was the first for me in search results so I'll paste the latest info I've seen below for anyone else that might need it:

While automatic upgrades from Umbraco 7 to Umbraco 8 will not be possible, very soon it will be possible to migrate your content (content/media/members) from the latest version of Umbraco 7 to Umbraco 8.0. We will let you know when we have more information ready on this, including documentation and information on best practices to follow. In the meantime, you can read more on the topic in our developers perspective blog post.

• mmaty 109 posts 281 karma points
    Mar 12, 2019 @ 10:24
    mmaty

I tried the upgrade of a fresh Umbraco 7.13.2 install. The DB upgrade fails with the following message:

{
        "@t": "2019-03-12T09:46:31.3864270Z",
        "@mt": "Installation step {Step} failed.",
        "@l": "Error",
        "@x": "System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Ein Aufrufziel hat einen Ausnahmefehler verursacht. ---> 
    Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallException: The database failed to upgrade.
    ERROR: The database configuration failed with the following message:
    Unknown state \"{init-7.13.2}\".\n
        Please check log file for additional information (can be found in '/App_Data/Logs/UmbracoTraceLog.txt')\r\n
           bei Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallSteps.DatabaseUpgradeStep.ExecuteAsync(Object model)\r\n   --- Ende der internen Ausnahmestapelüberwachung ---\r\n
           bei System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)\r\n
           bei System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)\r\n
           bei System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)\r\n   bei Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController.<ExecuteStepAsync>d__14.MoveNext()",
                "Step": "DatabaseUpgrade",
                "SourceContext": "Umbraco.Web.Install.Controllers.InstallApiController",
                "ProcessId": 19212,
                "ProcessName": "iisexpress",
                "ThreadId": 35,
                "AppDomainId": 6,
                "AppDomainAppId": "LMW3SVC2ROOT",
                "MachineName": "DESKTOP-7DCFOJ9",
                "Log4NetLevel": "ERROR",
                "HttpRequestNumber": 2,
                "HttpRequestId": "3ee0cddc-57ba-4aa6-867c-5b3cf4b59ead"
            }

Does anybody have any insights regarding the upgrade?

• Hundebol 167 posts 314 karma points
    Mar 12, 2019 @ 11:04
    Hundebol

Hi mmaty,

You CANNOT simply upgrade from 7.13.2 to v8. :)

It seems HQ is working on a tool or something, so you can migrate, as Dave Clinton mentions. The information is found here: https://umbraco.com/blog/umbraco-7-to-umbraco-8-a-developer-s-perspective/

• mmaty 109 posts 281 karma points
    Mar 12, 2019 @ 12:47
    mmaty

I forgot to mention, that I read exactly the article by Claus Jension. Quote:

For that reason, our suggested migration path will be that you temporarily disable all of your existing Umbraco 7 code and then simply start out by upgrading your database schema with a blank Umbraco 8 site.

That's exactly what I have done. I made a blank Umbraco 8 site and replaced the database with the database from a fresh Umbraco 7 Installation (I changed the Umbraco.Core.ConfigurationStatus in web.config to 7.13.2).

The log file shows that the database conversion starts, but it fails, because it doesn't know the Umbraco 7.13.2 version. Maybe it works with older versions.

The question is: Is there already any support for migration? If this is the case, how does it work? If it is not the case, when can we expect to get such support?

• Simon Napper 84 posts 254 karma points
    Apr 05, 2019 @ 09:21
    Simon Napper

This is also being discussed here, can someone from the core team confirm what the situation is as the Claus Jension article seems to contradict what a lot of people believe about v7 to v8.

• Jason Prothero 422 posts 1243 karma points c-trib
    May 13, 2019 @ 20:50
    Jason Prothero

From what I understand, the migration tool will be available in the 8.1 version.

-Jason

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft