Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Remko 118 posts 283 karma points
    Mar 11, 2019 @ 14:10
    Remko

v8 - ExamineManager - GatheringNodeData how to, with latest Examine

We used to do this (to add some extra data to Examine index for certain nodes)

ExamineManager.Instance..IndexProviderCollection[defaultIndexIndexer].GatheringNodeData += IndexHandler_GatheringNodeData;

Now this doesn't seem to work anymore. IndexProviderCollection isn't available.. Is there any other way to init this event ?

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Mar 11, 2019 @ 22:34
    Marc Goodson

Hi Remko

GatheringNodeData has been removed/consolidated in the version of Examine shipped with V8

The event you want to handle instead is 'TransformingIndexValues' event

you can see this in the source code:

/// <summary>
            /// Raised before the item is indexed allowing developers to customize the data that get's stored in the index
            /// </summary>
            public event EventHandler<IndexingItemEventArgs> TransformingIndexValues;
      /// <summary>
            /// Raises the <see cref="E:TransformingIndexValues"/> event.
            /// </summary>
            /// <param name="e">The <see cref="IndexingItemEventArgs"/> instance containing the event data.</param>
            protected virtual void OnTransformingIndexValues(IndexingItemEventArgs e)
            {
                TransformingIndexValues?.Invoke(this, e);
            }

which is available here:

https://github.com/Shazwazza/Examine/blob/864168c7f019908242dd56197e075edea5ee77cf/src/Examine/Providers/BaseIndexProvider.cs

Not seen any examples yet, but hopefully that's a good steer.

regards

Marc

Mar 12, 2019 @ 08:58
    Remko

Ok, that makes sense, thank you.

Now I only need to know how to get the instance of the IndexProvider (for ExternalIndex) to attach the event... Since there isn't an IndexProviderCollection in ExamineManager.Instance, can you tell me where I can find it nowadays?

Mar 12, 2019 @ 11:54
    Marc Goodson

Hi Remko

It's a bit of a guess, but essentially everything is injected via DI in Umbraco V8...

So to get a reference to the Examine Manager you need to add it to the constructor for your Component, and it will be magically injected in, the Examine Manager has a list of indexes, if you pull the one you want to handle the event for and cast it to a BaseIndexProvider then that should expose the TransformingIndexValues event...

but I'm only guessing from the source and intellisense!

namespace Umbraco8.Components
    {
        [RuntimeLevel(MinLevel = RuntimeLevel.Run)]
        public class RegisterExamineEventComposer : IUserComposer
        {
            public void Compose(Composition composition)
            {
                // Append our component to the collection of Components
                // It will be the last one to be run
                composition.Components().Append<RegisterExamineEventsComponent>();
            }
        }
        public class RegisterExamineEventsComponent : IComponent
        {
            private readonly IExamineManager _examineManager;
            public RegisterExamineEventsComponent(IExamineManager examineManager)
            {
                _examineManager = examineManager;

}
            public void Initialize()
            {

var externalIndex = _examineManager.Indexes.Where(f => f.Name == "ExternalIndex");
                ((BaseIndexProvider)externalIndex).TransformingIndexValues += TreeNodesRenderingComponent_TransformingIndexValues;
            }

private void UmbracoExamineIndex_TransformingIndexValues(IndexingItemEventArgs e)
            {
    // do stuff here with the index values like gathering nodedata did
            }
    }

regards

Marc

Mar 12, 2019 @ 14:51
    Remko

Great! Still don't really understand how objects are magically injected in IComponents, but it seems to work :-)

Thank you.

Mar 12, 2019 @ 19:21
    Marc Goodson

Hi Remko

it is dark magic I think...

regards

Marc

• Laurent Lequenne 122 posts 247 karma points
    Nov 14, 2019 @ 17:15
    Laurent Lequenne

It's a mess... As we can not change how your field will be indexed (Analyzed, not, stored, not stored ?) ... So now I index tags... and there is nothing I can do with it... I don't want half tags to be found !

• Simon steed 374 posts 686 karma points
    May 27, 2020 @ 12:37
    Simon steed

Any updates on how to achieve this now? Looking at migrating a V7 site over that uses GatheringNodeData and came across this post.

• Simon steed 374 posts 686 karma points
    May 27, 2020 @ 12:39
    Simon steed

Appears Nik has already answered this one so adding here for completeness :)

https://our.umbraco.com/forum/extending-umbraco-and-using-the-api/98612-examine-events

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft