Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sowndar M 50 posts 124 karma points
    Jun 18, 2019 @ 08:07
    Sowndar M

301 URL Tracker UrlTracker Is not working

Is there any alternative for this package. it is working in Umbraco 7 after installed the package in Umbraco 8 the site crash and show the error

https://our.umbraco.com/packages/developer-tools/301-url-tracker/

• Damiaan 442 posts 1301 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jun 18, 2019 @ 08:16
    Damiaan

Not that I know by heart. Except for SEO checker.

Jun 18, 2019 @ 08:27
    Sowndar M

It is a paid one.

• Marcus Maunula 229 posts 386 karma points
    Jun 18, 2019 @ 08:29
    Marcus Maunula

You can buy a lifetime license though.

But I agree that this package should get some love. It is a very good package and not everyone need the full power of SEO checker.

Jun 18, 2019 @ 08:21
    Marcus Maunula

I have been asking in the issues section but no response. Seems this package is dead in the water.

This is something that should be part of Core imho. There is no site in the World that doesn't need this. Asking customers to edit config-files is not really use friendly.

Jun 18, 2019 @ 09:20
    Sowndar M

The site was completely developed using Umbraco 8, the old and new sites work independently as per client request,

After move to live the old site will be deleted. We have checked with SEO it show the list of 301 and 404 page.

Those page need to redirect to other page now. 301 tracker was useful to us to do the process

Jun 18, 2019 @ 09:25
    Marcus Maunula

I am afraid though that SEO-checker is the only viable option right now. You can buy a license that can be used for several clients.

Jun 18, 2019 @ 13:20
    Damiaan

If it's a one time launch, doing it using the IIS rewrite module the the best way forward. Certainly because it is THE fastest alternative. And because it is only with a launch, the customer does not need to change these afterwards.

More information in the documentation about redirect with the IIS module: https://our.umbraco.com/documentation/Reference/Routing/IISRewriteRules/

Jun 18, 2019 @ 13:25
    Damiaan

As per your discussion that it should be part of the core, I do agree!

There have been a few tries from the community. Please follow the github issue about the Redirect management.

Jun 18, 2019 @ 17:19
    Marcus Maunula

Unfortunately 404 issues can come up all the time and asking customers to do rewrite rules (something that isn't easy anyway), is not really an option. The 301 module really had anything one could need in this aspect.

This is a big showstopper for Umbraco 8 for many as I see it. Hopefully someone can pick up the torch with this module, seems like the fastest move to me :).

Jun 18, 2019 @ 17:20
    Marcus Maunula

Why not simply take that 301 module and add it to the core? Seems like the fast route to me :).

Jun 18, 2019 @ 18:59
    Damiaan

Most of the time, the rule of thumb handled by HQ to consider whether a package is that if the majority of the websites is running a module it will be incorporated.

In the case of redirect packages: I think no-one is able to point out what the common denominator is whether/if they need to incorporate what exactly.

The current built-in redirect technique which kicks in for renamed nodes is a good example of that. Unfinished, not made to survive or to be extended.

Therefore I can only beg you guys to comment on the GitHub issues. I am very "pro" for a "core" solution to handle 404 and 301 redirects. Let HQ know what you really need (or try to come up with a pull request). Everyone will be very helpful if you want to build it. Just be sure too read up to all proposals and PR's already doing that so that you don't start something which can't be merged for whatever reason.

Jun 18, 2019 @ 22:56
    Marcus Maunula

I think 404 handling is a big thing here (supported by the 301 package). This would be next to impossible to solve without it so it is one of the first thing I install :).

Jun 18, 2019 @ 09:24
    Marcus Maunula

Yep, it is very useful for 404 also. Asking Clients to edit config files is not a good concept :).

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Jun 18, 2019 @ 19:33
    Marc Goodson

'Skybrud redirects' got an Alpha release for V8!

https://github.com/skybrud/Skybrud.Umbraco.Redirects/releases/tag/v2.0.0-alpha002

There is appetite from HQ, for the ability for editors to add new redirects manually to existing content items, via the existing redirect url management functionality - but they haven't managed to review and pull in PRs that have provided that functionality in V7 :-) ... to be fair though it all coincided with V8!

But I don't think they are looking to maintain a full all singing and dancing redirects functionality - maybe this is the kind of discussion for an RFC - but anyway SkyBrud does kinda do everything you need for editors to create redirects, and is the best one for V7... so I reckon will be pretty good for V8!

So might be good to help test it out on V8.

Jun 18, 2019 @ 22:56
    Marcus Maunula

That is hopeful. Skybrud stuff is usually of high quality.

Most common use I had with the 301 was actually 404 issues. They always pop up sooner or later, it would be impossible to manage with manual editing so the 301 package is really a must have in any of my sites.

• Dennis 75 posts 397 karma points MVP
    May 02, 2022 @ 16:12
    Dennis

Hi there!

I would like to mention that the url tracker has gained a second life over here!

The plugin / package has been slumbering for quite a while, but I've taken it upon me to revive it and to hopefully restore it to its former glory.

Last week I've released an update to the package on NuGet. The latest version has a completely fresh backend that aims to be more maintainable, readable, performant, testable and extendible. It's compatible with Umbraco 8, but there's also a brand new version for Umbraco 9!

One of the nice features is that the URL Tracker now has a clear api layer so that developers can make their own integrations with the URL Tracker if they please. Documentation is still work in progress though :/

Furthermore, I've got some ambitious plans:

• Complete redesign of the database for better performance, improved memory usage and a more comprehensible model
    • Complete redesign of the frontend javascript. Put focus on component based infrastructure and improve the development experience by converting to typescript. I also want to introduce automated tests on our frontend (because I've never done that before)
    • Redesign of the user experience. I am currently sketching some wireframes for a better user experience. We're looking to focus more on active recommendations and helping content editors understand what actions they need to take to improve the visitor experience on their website. A quick glance at the front page of the URL Tracker should give a content editor enough information to know what issues their website has and which actions will solve them. Not only recommending creating redirects, but for example giving advice to contact the technical party as well (if a stylesheet or script cannot be found perhaps).

Some other ideas that I still want to explore are:

• Improving the search capabilities using examine index
    • Integration with uSync

I hope that I can breathe some new life into this wonderful plugin, because I genuinely think it can be a great addition to the Umbraco backoffice!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft